Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/15/2016 9:41:09 AM EDT
I need a prop for my new to me, 83 Johnson v4 115hp, that is strapped to a 16' bass boat.  This is my first boat and have rebuilt the entire fuel system.  It runs good but the prop is toast.

The prop now is spun out and after 3000rpm slips.  It has one blade tip missing also.

What was the stock prop?  or did you specify your prop from the dealer?

Guy at marina said that newer hub systems are the way to go.  Merc sys I think?

I have no clue as to the current dia-pitch.  

Link Posted: 8/15/2016 9:55:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I need a prop for my new to me, 83 Johnson v4 115hp, that is strapped to a 16' bass boat.  This is my first boat and have rebuilt the entire fuel system.  It runs good but the prop is toast.

The prop now is spun out and after 3000rpm slips.  It has one blade tip missing also.

What was the stock prop?  or did you specify your prop from the dealer?

Guy at marina said that newer hub systems are the way to go.  Merc sys I think?

I have no clue as to the current dia-pitch.  

View Quote

Isn't that typically cast into the prop?
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 10:12:38 AM EDT
[#2]
yes,  but Im at work browsing the prop sites   and dont know my current prop.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 10:14:08 AM EDT
[#3]
yes,  but Im at work browsing the prop sites   and dont know my current prop.

Would about 19" pitch seem standard for a bass boat?
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 10:20:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Buy whatever you want but I'd check what pitch you are running right now.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 6:52:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Pitch and diameter is usually stamped on the side of the prop, on the hub, or it's "coded" in the part number cast into the hub. This means you need to look up the part number to determine what it is.

I'd start with a 17 pitch and go from there if you don't know what the existing prop is. Problem is, that you may need to try several props until it's "propped out" correctly.

Finding a local shop or marina that would allow you to test several props would be ideal, but they are few and far between.

You may see if a local shop would allow you to buy two or three props to try out, then return (undamaged of course) the ones that don't work for you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top