Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/22/2016 10:42:23 AM EDT
Had a gasket leaking on my exhaust cover that was spraying water on the outside of the motor. Pulled the cover only to find this. Motor was still running like a top lol. Now the work begins.1997 90hp 90degree evinrude.

That's the top rings missing on both pistons on right side. Rotate assembly and I could see ridges on top of piston. I pulled the head and found this.

These peices were wedged into the metal on the head.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 11:26:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 2:33:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Typical cross flow OMC V-4. Carbon build up made the rings stick and they snagged the port. The broken bolts are typical also. Time for a "new" engine.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 4:00:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I can rebuild it for about $700 and a lot of sweat. I wish I could afford a new one right now.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 4:08:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Better get it apart and see if the cylinders can be re-bored before ordering any parts. A lot of times the scoring will be too deep to bore to a size where you can find pistons.

Wiseco should have some replacement pistons, but they are limited.

Sometimes the block itself is damaged or the cylinder sleeve is ruined to a point where it can't be salvaged.

Re-sleeving an outboard is very expensive.

What does the cyl head look like? I'm sure it has "dents" and sharp spots in the combustion chamber and squish band.

<--boat mechanic.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 6:33:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Oh it does. Going to have to find a new head. Cylinder walls are scored on one cylinder. I can feel it with my hand but it's not deep at all. I'm sure both will have to be bored. Going to have the machine shop hone the other side and re ring it while I'm at it.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 2:26:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Are the ports in the liner chipped? This will cause it to not run right as port timing will be "off". Check the connecting rods for straightness too. They can get "tweaked" from hammering hardened ring pieces into the cyl head.

I hope you intend to put all new bearings in it also. They can get flat spots on them from the hammering.

Keep updating this post please!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top