Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/31/2016 9:23:34 PM EDT
I am looking at this for my very first kayak and for something that can get me out in ponds ect for fishing. Would it be worth getting this for a starter or try to run down a different one that is used on CL?

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/heritage-feather-lite-angler-96-sit-in-fishing-kayak?repChildCatid=1025554
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 9:37:49 PM EDT
[#1]
If first one I would look at the open top ones like Ocean Kayak has. There are many more that are open top just they were the first manufacture that I can think of off the top of my head. And they have spots to put fishing poles in as well.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 10:07:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Being this is AR15.com, someone is going to attack that choice and explain why you should drop 1400$  on a Wilderness Systems kayak.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 10:12:55 PM EDT
[#3]
looks like it will float, maybe a little light for river rocks, I'd say it looks fun.  I have a old town predator and it is not light..... light has advantages too, all trade offs.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 11:36:28 PM EDT
[#4]
The seat will suck at that price point.  Unless you are young and have a strong back you will prolly hate it.
A short boat will not track well either.

There is nothing about that yak that works for fishing. Best thing is it is only 40 lbs.  a good sit on top will be 55+

Plan on spending at least 450 for a decent used 12' sit on top.  If you are just pond hopping a 10' will work.
A good paddle will also set you back 100, the alum ones suck.

They had a 12' one of these at my local yak shop in FL for 400 last year, wish I had bought it.  It was pretty used, but the native brand hulls are tough.  

Link Posted: 6/1/2016 12:06:43 AM EDT
[#5]
You want a Hobie with the Mirage drive.  Usually, they go for about $1000 used, but I just found a couple for $500 each.    

Check CL and throw out a bunch of offers.       Trust me on this.  If you want it for fishing, you'll want to have your hands free.
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 1:43:02 PM EDT
[#6]
I gave one of those to my niece for a graduation present. It doesn't measure up to my Jackson kayak, but it will get you out on the water. The short length means it's going to be slow, it also means it's going to be easy to haul. It's stable enough, and the seat isn't much but it does get you off the floor and way from a wet butt. The biggest drawback to this one is that there isn't much storage.

Link Posted: 6/13/2016 5:51:11 PM EDT
[#7]
You're going to want something longer, with a more open cockpit and space for gear and rods.

A Sit on Top is better suited as a dedicated fishing boat.

Link Posted: 6/13/2016 6:30:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Yep that is too short
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 7:11:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Get a 2-seat paddle boat so you have room to fish and hold gear and cooler
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 7:26:54 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a Heritage Featherlite Angler 12' that's about 9 years old. Great boat for still water and local ponds/lakes. I've taken it a few places where I should have probably been wearing a dry suit after the wind picked up and its a VERY stable boat, but you will sit lower than in one of the sit on top kayaks, which helps. Definitely get a longer boat if you're going to paddle any distance at all, that one is really short.
Link Posted: 6/14/2016 12:00:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Kayak salesman here. Could that boat work for you? Sure. Are you under 225lbs? How big is the water you want to fish? For stability and center of gravity reasons I would recommend a sit-on-top design (SOT). You can find them used on CL as people decide to upgrade or move on from the hobby. Many deals to be had. If you prefer new, academy, DSG, bass pro, cabelas, gander mountain, etc all have lower priced boats that are based off of the older designs of the more expensive boats (wilderness systems, ocean kayak, native, etc). Don't worry about not spending $1k+ on a boat. If your boat gets you on the water and you're enjoying it then have fun!
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 9:08:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the info everyone! I wish I could spend more but I must keep my budget low to start with at least. I fish mainly during the week days so that greatly reduces the amount of issues I would have with other boats out on the larger bodies of water. Most of what I would fish is small pounds, couple hundred acre lakes and then some of the small areas of lake Lanier. Im also in my early 20s, 6' 170lb.
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 9:20:17 PM EDT
[#13]
get something at least 13 feet long.

Don't settle save up what it takes to get something good. try to test

what ever you get. I have seen some very poor performers in the cheep

market. One was almost "un paddleable". Would just turn side to side

and not go forward much at all.

Link Posted: 6/18/2016 9:45:06 AM EDT
[#14]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Thanks for the info everyone! I wish I could spend more but I must keep my budget low to start with at least. I fish mainly during the week days so that greatly reduces the amount of issues I would have with other boats out on the larger bodies of water. Most of what I would fish is small pounds, couple hundred acre lakes and then some of the small areas of lake Lanier. Im also in my early 20s, 6' 170lb.
View Quote
Try to save another couple hundred dollars and hunt Craigslist for something a little better.  We just got my wife a Perception Pescador 10 on CL a couple of weeks ago for $400 w/paddle, barely used.  (I have an Ocean Kayak Trident 13.)

I've never paddled a sit-in kayak, only sit-on-top.  For fishing, I can't imagine trying to do that in a sit-in kayak.  I just think it would be a royal PITA trying to get any single thing accomplished.  

ETA:  Looking at that Heritage again, just don't.  I just don't see how you can really turn around to reach anything or carry any gear.  I'm sure there's a decent amount of room behind the seat, but I would be cussing a storm trying to dig anything out back there.  

I know nothing of this kayak, but for $30 more you can get a SOT.  It's a bit shorter than the other one though, but would probably be fine for small ponds.  http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/perception-pescador-8-sit-on-kayak#repChildCatid=1352026

$80 more would get you this 10' Pelican with a little more capability.  http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/pelican-icon-100x-angler-10-sit-on-top-fishing-kayak#repChildCatid=1483763

$130 more:  http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/heritage-angler-10-sit-on-top-fishing-kayak#repChildCatid=1036408
Link Posted: 6/19/2016 11:49:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Several of our kayak shops have biannual  on the water "demo days" where they take demo models out to a local lake/pond and let you try out different models. Factory reps are on hand to answer questions as well. At the very least, I would recommend trying to rent the model you're interested in and get a feel if it's what you want in your kayak.

I see you're in Georgia, but you might want to look at http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/forum/ for some tips.

Good luck & tight lines!
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 7:22:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Me and my fishing buddy (brother in law) both have feelfree lure 13.5's.
Very stable, a little slow but a good kayak all around.
I have also paddled the perception pescador and that is a VERY nice kayak for the price. Very stable, quick, very solid kayak. For a fraction of the price, it's one of the best kayaks (I think) in the $500 range.

Link Posted: 6/20/2016 7:35:11 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

I have also paddled the perception pescador and that is a VERY nice kayak for the price. Very stable, quick, very solid kayak. For a fraction of the price, it's one of the best kayaks (I think) in the $500 range.

View Quote

My wife has a 12 foot pescador and it works well for her. It is about 3 years old, I think we paid 540 for it new.

I have a trident 13 .

I have noticed prices drop on used ones since they have been flooding the market with them over the

last couple years.

Us off Key West

Off of Bahia Honda

Link Posted: 6/20/2016 7:52:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

My wife has a 12 foot pescador and it works well for her. It is about 3 years old, I think we paid 540 for it new.

I have a trident 13 .

I have noticed prices drop on used ones since they have been flooding the market with them over the
last couple years.

I paddled one around during the process of buying my lure. A buddy had one and let me borrow it. I liked it a lot but settled on the wider lure. If my budget wouldn't have allowed

Us off Key West

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v655/banditman1/a2/GOPR0455_zps2319c0f5.jpg

Off of Bahia Honda

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v655/banditman1/a2/GOPR0431_zps25d31cdc.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v655/banditman1/a2/2013-10-18105423_zpsddcdaca0.jpg

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a trident 13 .

last couple years.

I paddled one around during the process of buying my lure. A buddy had one and let me borrow it. I liked it a lot but settled on the wider lure. If my budget wouldn't have allowed

Us off Key West

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v655/banditman1/a2/GOPR0455_zps2319c0f5.jpg

Off of Bahia Honda

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v655/banditman1/a2/GOPR0431_zps25d31cdc.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v655/banditman1/a2/2013-10-18105423_zpsddcdaca0.jpg

I paddled one around for a few days while in the process of looking for my kayak. I have a buddy that owns one and let me borrow it.
I liked it a lot and would have bought one if it had not been for finding the lure.

Here's our lures last week on misquito lagoon and a couple of reds I managed to talk into jumping into the boat.
Feel free to pick on the under armor pants under the shorts it looks goofy as hell but guess who doesn't get sunburned on the long days on the lagoon...>< this guys, that's who.
Proof that you can be the goofiest lookin schmuck on the water and still catch fish

19" keeper, he was pretty tasty.

This guy was over slot and went back for next time.

Link Posted: 6/21/2016 9:00:07 PM EDT
[#19]
You are a young buck, so you might be able to handle that seat ok for long periods. I used a 10' sit in for almost three years before i upgraded but it was an Ascend D10 with a really nice removable chair.  A 10' sit in is great for small water, especially creeks. Easy to lug up rocky shoals or put on a roof rack.

Others here have suggested doing demos.  I agree.  Look on Facebook for area kayak fishing groups.  They often have "demo days" so new folks can try several kayaks before deciding on a purchase.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 3:31:07 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Being this is AR15.com, someone is going to attack that choice and explain why you should drop 1400$  on a Wilderness Systems kayak.
View Quote
i have a Wilderness Systems ride 115x max... i only paid 1100 for it that included the $100 to have it shipped to my front door

we also have a ocean kayak caper, if i were to buy another id probably get a peddle drive either a 14 ft hobbie mirage or 13ft native slayer

Link Posted: 6/24/2016 6:12:50 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

i have a Wilderness Systems ride 115x max... i only paid 1100 for it that included the $100 to have it shipped to my front door  

we also have a ocean kayak caper, if i were to buy another id probably get a peddle drive either a 14 ft hobbie mirage or 13ft native slayer

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13442263_10154330157418809_3493198257470098153_n.jpg?oh=5cd685af64be2c50d4ee235b1e4cb2a3&oe=57C2C339

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13442263_10154330157418809_3493198257470098153_n.jpg?oh=5cd685af64be2c50d4ee235b1e4cb2a3&oe=57C2C339

If you go and fish over or near structure, I'll recommend the Slayer. After having a couple of outings this year fishing for stripers with a buddy in his Slayer and me in my BG2, he was able to stay on the bridge pilings and cast while I struggled to maintain position. He outcasted me probably 6 to 1..
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 6:42:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/25/2016 12:14:19 AM EDT
[#23]

You using Emmrods in that pic? If so, how do you like them?

Link Posted: 6/26/2016 10:37:40 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

If you go and fish over or near structure, I'll recommend the Slayer. After having a couple of outings this year fishing for stripers with a buddy in his Slayer and me in my BG2, he was able to stay on the bridge pilings and cast while I struggled to maintain position. He outcasted me probably 6 to 1..

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

yup i like the fact you just pedal backwards to reverse

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top