Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/9/2016 12:15:15 AM EDT
I've always fished smaller lakes here in Missouri and I have always been an aluminum boat kind of guy.  I have an opportunity to buy an older Nitro 180FS bass boat but know nothing about fiberglass boats. I'm going to look at it in the next day or two and was hoping some on here could give me some tips on what to look for. Its owned by an older gentleman and he wants rid of it. He says it has low hours. It looks brand new.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 1:16:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I've always fished smaller lakes here in Missouri and I have always been an aluminum boat kind of guy.  I have an opportunity to buy an older Nitro 180FS bass boat but know nothing about fiberglass boats. I'm going to look at it in the next day or two and was hoping some on here could give me some tips on what to look for. Its owned by an older gentleman and he wants rid of it. He says it has low hours. It looks brand new.
View Quote

The only thing I know about glass boats is that if the transom is rotten it's cheaper to buy another. My one glass boat was a 73ish glasstron ski boat and it weighed a ton. Fun till the transom cracked. I think newer boats use a metal transom instead of wood but am not sure.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 10:19:36 AM EDT
[#2]
The Nitro will have a fiberglass and wood transom. Like mentioned, look for rotting or soft spots on the transom.
Also see KB's so you want to buy a used boat thread.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 11:27:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Nitro will have a fiberglass and wood transom. Like mentioned, look for rotting or soft spots on the transom.
Also see KB's so you want to buy a used boat thread.
View Quote

Thanks for directing me toward this thread.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 1:59:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Check for weak spots on the flooring. I just replaced the flooring on my Nitro.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top