Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/14/2016 2:46:53 PM EDT
Hello,

I am looking at a used boat and motor.

It has a 90 hp Yamaha 4 stroke.

It is 2.5 years old and it has an extended Yamaha warranty beyond the factory warranty.

The owner claims to have done all the maintenance but does not have documentation.

If by chance I needed to have work done under warranty at some point, what documentation is likely to be required by the repair shop or Yamaha?

One of the selling points is the extended warranty and if it will not be any good due to lack of records....

I talked to the service manager at a local Yamaha dealer and he didn't think it would be a problem.

Anyone have any inside info or experience?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 8:08:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not a Yamaha tech but Mercury keeps all the warranty repair info in their system. Standard maintenance records are not kept by Mercury but I've never been asked about them when filing a warranty claim with Merc.
Make sure the extended warranty is transferrable to a new owner. Merc's is but like I said, I'm a Merc guy, not Yamaha.
Another member here, akethan, deals in Yamaha's IIRC. Maybe send him an IM.
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 8:21:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm not a Yamaha tech but Mercury keeps all the warranty repair info in their system. Standard maintenance records are not kept by Mercury but I've never been asked about them when filing a warranty claim with Merc.
Make sure the extended warranty is transferrable to a new owner. Merc's is but like I said, I'm a Merc guy, not Yamaha.
Another member here, akethan, deals in Yamaha's IIRC. Maybe send him an IM.
View Quote

Thanks,

I did verify that it is in effect and is transferable.

I'm going to look at it tomorrow and take it for a "sea trial"

If no obvious issues will be bringing it home with me.

Link Posted: 1/16/2016 9:42:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Oh well, did the deal.

Link Posted: 2/20/2016 7:19:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Nice motor.

What year?

Mine's a 2003 60hp and it runs great. Only service I've done is having the dealer winterize every year.
Link Posted: 2/20/2016 12:46:45 PM EDT
[#5]
It's a 2011 year model that was sold new in 2013.

It has the Yamaha extended warranty till mid 2019.

It runs great, can't wait for the weather to get better!

I've only had it out once and didn't stay out long.

It was so cold my eyes were watering too much to see where I was going.
Link Posted: 2/20/2016 1:13:30 PM EDT
[#6]
I would have the engine fully serviced and checked over at the dealer and get the warranty transferred into your name and you're good to go. Maintainence records sometime help or expedite a warranty authorization especially if its a large failure like a gearbox or power head. Usually just  pictures and description suffices. We have seen about every imaginable failure, so usually photo's and diagnosis tell the story of whether is been abuse, normal wear (some stuff is excluded on extended warranties because it's considered normal wear) or warranty work. I can tell you that Yamaha YES goodwill is also very generous, so don't hesitate to contact them if any issue crops up.

You're gonna love that little boat. G3 is a super well built boat, but  I would have them full service it for piece of mind  (or get the Yamalube from the dealer if you want to do it yourself). Then just keep ring free in the fuel and the batteries charged. That's a great little fishing rig.

Edit to add: ski goggles and a balaclava are your friends for cold mornings. I have also been known to wear a full face motorcycle helmet on the really cold days. Works great!
Link Posted: 2/20/2016 3:44:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I would have the engine fully serviced and checked over at the dealer and get the warranty transferred into your name and you're good to go. Maintainence records sometime help or expedite a warranty authorization especially if its a large failure like a gearbox or power head. Usually just  pictures and description suffices. We have seen about every imaginable failure, so usually photo's and diagnosis tell the story of whether is been abuse, normal wear (some stuff is excluded on extended warranties because it's considered normal wear) or warranty work. I can tell you that Yamaha YES goodwill is also very generous, so don't hesitate to contact them if any issue crops up.

You're gonna love that little boat. G3 is a super well built boat, but  I would have them full service it for piece of mind  (or get the Yamalube from the dealer if you want to do it yourself). Then just keep ring free in the fuel and the batteries charged. That's a great little fishing rig.

Edit to add: ski goggles and a balaclava are your friends for cold mornings. I have also been known to wear a full face motorcycle helmet on the really cold days. Works great!
View Quote

I have already had the warranty transferred, the motor and boat at the same place.

I have some of the service records from the previous owner, hopefully it will suffice if needed.

I have gathered up everything I need to service it except for the water pump impeller.  I am going to have that done.

I could do the impeller but decided for warranty purposes, I would let a Yamaha dealer do it.

The goggles idea is a good one and I thought about that after the fact.

Tool kit I made up. Can change out the prop, spark plugs, remove lug nuts from the trailer, etc.

Link Posted: 2/20/2016 6:41:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I have already had the warranty transferred, the motor and boat at the same place.

I have some of the service records from the previous owner, hopefully it will suffice if needed.

I have gathered up everything I need to service it except for the water pump impeller.  I am going to have that done.

I could do the impeller but decided for warranty purposes, I would let a Yamaha dealer do it.

<a href="http://s1164.photobucket.com/user/ATCzero1/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpscvkockxh.jpeg.html" target="_blank">http://i1164.photobucket.com/albums/q572/ATCzero1/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpscvkockxh.jpeg</a>

Tool kit I made up. Can change out the prop, spark plugs, remove lug nuts from the trailer, etc.

<a href="http://s1164.photobucket.com/user/ATCzero1/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsss3lwz0k.jpeg.html" target="_blank">http://i1164.photobucket.com/albums/q572/ATCzero1/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsss3lwz0k.jpeg</a>
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s1164.photobucket.com/user/ATCzero1/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpscvkockxh.jpeg.html" target="_blank">http://i1164.photobucket.com/albums/q572/ATCzero1/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpscvkockxh.jpeg</a>

<a href="http://s1164.photobucket.com/user/ATCzero1/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsss3lwz0k.jpeg.html" target="_blank">http://i1164.photobucket.com/albums/q572/ATCzero1/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsss3lwz0k.jpeg</a>

You are set! Enjoy that boat!
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 2:28:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Very nice Rig!
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 3:02:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Very nice Rig!
View Quote

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/28/2016 11:33:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Having records helps prove your side if they claim that a failure is due to lack of maintenance, but you shouldn't have to prove it unless they site that as the direct cause of a failure.  Unfortunately warrantees have so many loopholes that they can deny claims even where maintenance has been done by the book if they want to.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top