Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2016 6:57:23 PM EDT
So I bought a brand new Alumacraft dominator a few months back and had a lot of fun in the couple months that I owned it but I ended up trading it to a guy I work with for a 2013 Crestliner 1950 sportfish that is completely decked out with all the accessories.

Problem is I don't think my 2001 F150 will be able to tow it now. There's some pretty steep boat launches where I'm fishing and some large hills to climb and it is a little underpowered for the 18ft Alumacraft let alone a 20ft deep v.

So what kind of vehicles do you have or recommend. I'd rather not go the diesel route but I will if I have to. I have have to have room for 5 people comfortably due to 3 kids in car seats. Which take up a ridiculous amount of room.
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 7:13:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Chevy/GMC 2500 6.0L quad cab
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 8:31:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Any of the current 1/2 tons, Ford, Chevy, Ram, Toyota, Nissan will do the job you need. The only issue is do you want to spend what a new pickup cost?
Link Posted: 1/3/2016 8:46:19 PM EDT
[#3]
No my budget is around $15k. It will be our third vehicle and only used for towing the boat and when I need the four wheel drive to get to work if it snows bad.
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 9:14:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Too bad you're not closer to the gulf coast. I'm about to put my 2008 Z71 4wd up for sale with 70k miles on it for 15k.
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 10:59:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
So I bought a brand new Alumacraft dominator a few months back and had a lot of fun in the couple months that I owned it but I ended up trading it to a guy I work with for a 2013 Crestliner 1950 sportfish that is completely decked out with all the accessories.

Problem is I don't think my 2001 F150 will be able to tow it now. There's some pretty steep boat launches where I'm fishing and some large hills to climb and it is a little underpowered for the 18ft Alumacraft let alone a 20ft deep v.

So what kind of vehicles do you have or recommend. I'd rather not go the diesel route but I will if I have to. I have have to have room for 5 people comfortably due to 3 kids in car seats. Which take up a ridiculous amount of room.
View Quote

Several years ago I lived in Utah, my buddy had a Ford pickup with 5.4L engine, about the same year as yours.  He towed an even bigger boat in the Rocky Mountains and I was always amazed at how well that 5.4 worked in a tow vehicle.

Maybe you could swap your F-150 for one with the 5.4 and not be out too much $$  ?
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 11:50:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 8:32:34 PM EDT
[#7]
I have the 5.4 in my truck now and I was impressed at first but I think the motor is just getting tired. 16ft boat it will pull it all day. A 18.5ft boat not so much. And with the new boat being almost 20ft and a lot deeper V I know it will not like pulling it. I'm going to pick it up tomorrow from his house. Luckily he only lives about ten miles away. We'll see how it goes.

As for Chevy motors which one should I get? My wife has been looking at the Tahoes and Yukons. Would the 5.3 be alright or should it be the 6.0?

I can't get a decent Toyota from where I'm at for a reasonable price. For the space I need the cheapest Toyota is around $24k.

I know nothing about Dodge. I've stayed away from them due to all of the transmission issues my cousins have had. Are the transmissions better now or the same?
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 9:06:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Is your truck 4WD now? Assuming it is, why not have the engine rebuilt to 'freshen it up" and swap in some lower gears for towing? Alot less than 15K.
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 11:39:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 2:03:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Thank you everybody for the help!

I've tested over a dozen vehicles over the past couple of days and we ended up with a 2008 GMC Yukon Denali.

I wanted a truck but the boss lady(my wife) decided on this... Thanks for the help everyone.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top