Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/16/2015 10:19:32 AM EDT
Anyone have one of these things? I know they don't have the lumens as the crazy expensive transom lights, but do they put out enough light to attract schools of bait or anything? I'm talking about the ones that are around $55. Anyone try one or should I be the test pilot?
Link Posted: 10/16/2015 9:41:50 PM EDT
[#1]
One of the marina members where I work wants one. He saw one on another boat at night and said it illuminated the area around the swim platform pretty well. I would imagine in clear water it may attract baitfish.
Be prepared to replace it though. Even the big fancy thru-hull types will eventually get water in it if it's moored in the water all the time.
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 8:10:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah my boat stays in the water over in the canal behind my neighbors a lot. It's pretty rare that it's on the trailer. But I can't see how a quality one would leak if you Teflon tape the threads and the cable is sealed with 5200... Hopefully the LED is sealed in there pretty good.

This one looks like something I could make with $10 of Home Depot fittings and a CREE from China

I'm thinking about buying this one
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 8:57:09 AM EDT
[#3]
I have one of the cheap ones from eBay that cost around $20.  The light output is OK that does spread throughout the rear of the boat and I would say about 10 to 15 feet out into the water.  It's the brass not with the white RTV type Sillint where the cable runs out the back and a complete dome front that appears to be completely filled over the LED    Not bad for the money spent
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 8:49:16 PM EDT
[#4]
What I meant by leak is the LED unit gets water in it, not leaking water into the boat. That last one you pictured looks tacticool.
Link Posted: 10/18/2015 10:50:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What I meant by leak is the LED unit gets water in it, not leaking water into the boat. That last one you pictured looks tacticool.
View Quote

It's also supposed to be 1000 lumens. I don't know if I believe that, but my old dive buddy's 1000 lumen dive light used to light up the water like CRAZY while we were swimming through the surf. That's the kind of bright I'm talking about. I think I'll talk to the Mrs and pull the trigger on the tactic oil one.
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 12:02:28 AM EDT
[#6]
It should be easy to make one waterproof, but I've seen the cheap Chinese ones fail within hours of launch; others last a long time so it's probably just luck unless you can find a highly rated model.  You could mount a light above the water line or just get a portable light for attracting fish.  If you have a swim step mounting a light to it's underside will do a good job of water illumination without it being below the water line.  You could also put a bracket on the transom above the water line and mount a light.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top