Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/1/2015 8:26:05 AM EDT
About to put a flood led light on rear of my boat for night fishing. One option is both red and white leds, with a higher price and 2 separate switches. I wonder if it would be less drawing to the millions of bugs out there.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:19:37 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

About to put a flood led light on rear of my boat for night fishing. One option is both red and white leds, with a higher price and 2 separate switches. I wonder if it would be less drawing to the millions of bugs out there.
View Quote
In my limited experience in night fishing using a head lamp, red is almost no bugs besides incidental.  White means near shore, you get bombarded by moths and smaller stuff at a rate of two or three per second.

Go with red.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:28:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 12:41:38 PM EDT
[#3]
I have in the past used a propane lantern on a 10 ft piece of tubing on extreme back corner of a 17 ft bass boat. This high in the air would keep the bugs out of your face and light up the river channel enough to see your jugs from bank to bank, 300 ft min. Not too easy for a 67yr old to hoist a lantern on a 10 ft pole. Most of my fishing now is 1/2 hrs before daybreak.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:24:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I've seen these dual color LED lights on some bigger boats under the radar arch shining down into the cockpit. Like TomJefferson said, red is a NAV light color, but if you position it where it can't shine outward, just down on you, then it's not a problem. Red light also helps preserve your night vision. You'll still need some form of white anchor light if in navigable waterways. Maybe a small white LED light on a 20ft crappie pole above the boat? It would be light weight and easy for a "geezer" to put up.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 7:54:03 AM EDT
[#5]
GEEZER  You better hope and pray you get there.  Have a good day.
Link Posted: 9/15/2015 8:11:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Get blue LEDs. Works great and no bugs. I have those on the inside and outside of my boat.
Link Posted: 2/28/2016 11:30:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Get a mosquito mask and wear it over a baseball cap or other hat.  They work great and you can see just fine out of them. They are only a couple bucks at walmart and really beat trying to pull a gnat or some other insect out of your eye in the middle of the night on the middle of the lake.
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 6:26:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Not only help with bugs but they are cool looking as well. What I like most, they retain your night vision unlike white light

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top