Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2015 12:04:54 PM EDT
I've been looking at getting a new boat for a while and finally sold my 16ft boat and have enough funds for a bigger boat.

I do a lot of trolling for walleye, musky, and salmon so it's pretty much dedicated to that.

I've been looking at an Alumacraft Competitor CS 185 and a Tracker Targa V-18 WT.

The Alumacraft is with a 90hp Evinrude, 10hp Evinrude kicker, air ride seats, bunk trailer, and a Minnkota trolling motor with Ipilot.

The Tracker Targa has a Mercury 115, a full console seating, Minnkota trolling motor without Ipilot, Lowrance Mark-5x, tandem axle bunk trailer, and onboard charger.

Both are almost the same price. The hulls are almost identical. I've never trolled with a tiller before how does that differentiate from a normal double console boat?

They both have there pros and cons. What would you pick?
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 1:37:57 PM EDT
[#1]
For trolling I'd get the Alumacraft since it's already got a kicker. Do you know which model the trolling motor is? I love the Ipilot but a lot of guys say the Power Drive model is junk. I've got the Terrova.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 2:06:19 PM EDT
[#2]
lots of Lunds around these parts....
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 3:46:41 AM EDT
[#3]
It's a Terrova 80# thrust. As far as getting a Lund I've looked at them and for the same boat it is $5k more than the alumacraft and that's not including the extras. They are pretty nice boats but the trim and finish on the tillers are almost identical and the Alumacraft felt a lot larger then the Lund even though there's only a 1" beam difference. The targa is really on this just for the fact that it seems like a really good deal but I don't know too much about them.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 5:05:26 PM EDT
[#4]
If I was in Wisconsin I would buy a Lund. From all I have seen they handle the rough water well. But if i had to choose one of those two i would chose the alumnacraft. They seem to have a better build and resale.
also if the mercury isn't a two stroke the evinrude should out preform it.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 7:34:06 PM EDT
[#5]
I have an Alumacraft Competitor 165 Sport with a Suzuki 90. I assume you're buying used?  If not, and you're buying a new rig, go with a four stroke and don't look back!  This Suzuki is far and away the best outboard I've ever been around, it starts easier than my truck, sips gas, and is very quiet. I added trim tabs that flip down to act like speed brakes and can troll down to 1.6-1.8 mph on the GPS.

If you can test it on the water, try to get two or three people in the boat and see if it wants to porpoise. Mine does sometimes, but the battery, gas tank, and live well are all right at the transom. The only significant weight up front is one trolling motor battery.

Speaking of trolling motors, the single best thing I've done to mine was add a Minn Kota iPilot. It is fantastic and I'll never own another boat without it.

We have walleye here, but I've never caught any trolling. I mainly troll umbrella rigs for stripers.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:09:48 PM EDT
[#6]
I had the alumacraft cs165 with a 90 yamaha.  It Worked fine until I had two of my fat friends fishing with me when it was windy.   It spooked me enough that I sold it for an alumacraft 185 dominator with merc 150 4 stroke. The dominator , I think, is the same hull as the competitor but with a different floor plan.  This is a very stable boat and handles bigger waves easier, but I think a 90hp would be under powered for this size of boat. I was a lund fan when genmar owned them but since brunswick bought them I think they are charging a premium price. I think lund is a good boat,  they are built just up the road from me,  but I think alumacraft is just as good but 5000 dollars cheaper. There is a lot of floor space to move around in a 18 1/2 ft boat and the competitor series has more storage. I can still launch this boat in the same minimal depth water as the 16 ft.  If i can get the water up to the center hubs of the trailer i can push it off the roller trailer. Two weeks ago I fished out of washburn on  Chequamegon  bay and there were some good sized rollers and it did fine.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 4:15:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Thank you everybody for your suggestions. I went for a drive north about an hour away from me so I could check out a larger selection of boats. I know a lot of people recommend Lund but it's just not doing it for me. I agree they are asking ridiculous prices for a new boat. The one in particular is there Pro V with a single console and a 150Merc Optimax. It's brand new but it's a 2012 and they're still asking $34k and that's just boat motor and trailer. That's outrageous! I did find a good deal on a 2013 Alumacraft Dominator 185 that's brand new and they're asking $22k for boat motor, and trailer. I'm more than likely going to jump on that deal even though I like the competitor's floor plan layout more I would much rather have better electronics for the same price.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top