Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/17/2015 2:45:32 PM EDT
Toying with the idea of a 16ft aluminum, side console steering, 60 HP fishing boat.

Visited some dealerships and suffering some sticker shock when I saw the prices around $20K.

I get the sense how fast used boats like this get sold on the used market, and the fact it's a recreational product that if you buy new...you're gonna pay full MSRP.    Anyone ever have any luck haggling price on a new factory customized boat?

The boat dealers just don't seem as 'hungry' as car salesmen unfortunately.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 3:22:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Boat sales are up this year so you may not be able to haggle down the price. One local dealership has sold about 100 boats so far this year, a far cry from just a few years back where boat dealers were shutting their doors.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 5:22:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Here you go. http://muskegon.craigslist.org/boa/5160848196.html. Do a compression test and check the lower for a milkshake. Wave 30 hundreds under his nose and work from there. It does after all need a trolling motor.

Buying new just doesn't make economic sense.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 8:20:37 AM EDT
[#3]
I couldn't haggle with mine.  Last year I bought a '13 Lowe 165wt with a 75 new.  Otd price was $22k with a 5" color fish finder and a couple extra seats.  I should have gotten the 8" sonar and the maps!
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 9:00:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Generally boats, motors, and trailers, are marked up 32%. A lot of dealers are on a floor plan which means they borrow money to buy product and then pay interest on their inventory. Some pay monthly, other payments differ. Best time to buy new is at a boat show during the winter months. Dealers are scraping by because no one wants to buy a boat when they can't use the  until spring.

Have your finances in order before purchasing, in other words get an okay from your bank, credit union, etc on a loan and have the process in the works or walk in with cash.  Many people think by walking in with cash impresses the dealers, other than getting paid today instead of tomorrow with the loan draft, cash doesn't sway them because they get paid before the product leaves the dealership.

A decent offer is around 15% below list price and little if anything on a sale price. When talking prices and features, do your product homework beforehand then so you can make up your mind if buying this brand is better, or no so good, to other brands you have looked at.

Make sure the dealer will show you the operation of the motor/boat and have them start the motor to show you how before taking it home.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 10:30:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Here you go. http://muskegon.craigslist.org/boa/5160848196.html. Do a compression test and check the lower for a milkshake. Wave 30 hundreds under his nose and work from there. It does after all need a trolling motor.

Buying new just doesn't make economic sense.
View Quote

This. And make sure the plywood floor isn't soft. That looks like a nice boat (if you're thinking bass boat).
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 10:07:08 AM EDT
[#6]
I've been already checking CL and seems there's some good deals in there...generally half price for a 7-10 yr old boat.  Also, people selling these newer boats seem to be doing so because they never used them.

My hang up is I'm kind of picky on what I want...(what I can tow and park in the garage).  I'd have to get real lucky on CL or compromise on something.  Either way I'm not really a motivated buyer so I'll just take my time.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 11:36:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Have a look at this thread before you plunk down the $$$.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top