Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/8/2015 7:38:38 PM EDT
Does anyone know what the thread size is on the top 2 holes of the mounting bracket on a '95 Johnson 60 hp? Have done multiple Google searches and it has not been my friend. Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 8:20:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Do you mean the threaded holes for the transom clamp screws?
I'll look tomorrow at work in the manual.
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 8:36:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do you mean the threaded holes for the transom clamp screws?
I'll look tomorrow at work in the manual.
View Quote

Yes. The part number I come up with for a 31/2" (May have to go with a 4" but this is one length option) bolt is 0318573. I have found them so far on the net for $7+ to $33 ea. I want to look locally for stainless bolts, washers and nuts to see what the prices are. We have a bolt manufacturer that sells across the counter nearby so I need to know the bolt size and thread. Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 9:41:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, it totally slipped my mind today. Working out some new rental fleet issues had me hopping all day.
Sorry to disappoint. I have a sticky note stuck to my forehead now and I'll suffer in shame until Thursday when I get back to work.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 6:55:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well, it totally slipped my mind today. Working out some new rental fleet issues had me hopping all day.
Sorry to disappoint. I have a sticky note stuck to my forehead now and I'll suffer in shame until Thursday when I get back to work.
View Quote

I appreciate the thought and your eagerness to help. I got another look at the mounting bracket. This time with a flashlight, it is setting in a dimly lit tack room at the moment, and it looked like the bracket holes were threaded. It turns out that what I was seeing was thread impressions in the bracket holes so it isn't actually threaded. A 1/2" bolt is the proper diameter for mounting.

Do you work at a boat shop or similar? If so I have another question maybe you can help with. I am trying to decide what the best sealant would be to seal up the bolt holes when mounting the motor to my boat. It is an aluminum hull Lund. The wood in the transom is aluminum encased and want to seal the holes end to end with a good sealant. 3M 5200 seems to be good for a more permanent job but not sure it is what I should use for this purpose.
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 9:04:36 PM EDT
[#5]
We use "Boat Life" brand silicone sealant on transom bolts. We apply it to the bolt shank as well as some around the bolt head and nut. 3M 5200 is the Debbil if you ever have to remove it.
And yes, I'm a boat mechanic.
Link Posted: 2/13/2015 6:27:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for your help.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top