Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/7/2015 11:10:12 PM EDT
Thinking of a  Sea Ark 1652 duck boat. Anyone out there got any experience with one? Located in east NC, will that size work to fish/hunt the intercostal and also get back in the new river to get after those delicious wood ducks? Would get the boat with a 25 HP tiller steer outboard. Rookie with boats so any help appreciated.
Link Posted: 2/14/2015 8:53:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Buddy has one and it is a much better boat than my Lowes of the same size.
That said, every boat is a compromise.
I use mine for fishing tidal rivers, hunting, trapping,crabbing etc

Ran mine in the ICWW, at night, in SC, gator hunting, and it was too small, but we got it done.

Some days it's too big and too heavy, and others it's WAY too small, but good all around, all purpose boat, and least for me and in my area

That's why most of us have more than one.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 4:29:17 AM EDT
[#2]
You probably already bought the boat, BUT...
I have that same boat and I would suggest getting a 40hp motor (even a 30hp would be better). I currently have a 35hp motor on it and it is in the shop getting worked on. If the motor can't be fixed I'm getting a 40hp.
As for the boat I'd suggest avoiding the model with the rear bench that runs all the way across. The reason is that it makes for a long reach to the tiller.  
If your boat is only going to see easy lakes and your regular load is just fishing gear I would say you could get away with a 25hp.  Once you toss a couple guys, dog, decoys, guns, ammo, bags and maybe a blind you will want the bigger motor especially if you see any current.  We were running the river all last season in a 14' boat with a 25 hp and it can get a bit sketchy.

Link Posted: 5/7/2015 7:32:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Ha ! I didn't buy the boat yet but am probably go into try to this weekend maybe. I am trying to get the SLD model that has the split seats in the rear.

How do you like the build quality of your boat?

I will mostly be using this boat on smaller rivers and the inter coastal waterway. The load out will be 2x 200 lbs guys, pop up blind, guns, and 3 doz decoys. That is tops, most likely will be just 1 guy mostly. That going to be rough with a 25 HP?

Reason I am leaning towards the 25 is I am trying to keep it under 10k.

Opinion?
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 4:37:54 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Ha ! I didn't buy the boat yet but am probably go into try to this weekend maybe. I am trying to get the SLD model that has the split seats in the rear.

How do you like the build quality of your boat?

I will mostly be using this boat on smaller rivers and the inter coastal waterway. The load out will be 2x 200 lbs guys, pop up blind, guns, and 3 doz decoys. That is tops, most likely will be just 1 guy mostly. That going to be rough with a 25 HP?

Reason I am leaning towards the 25 is I am trying to keep it under 10k.

Opinion?
View Quote

The Sea Ark boats are built like tanks.  I did a camo paint job on my boat two years ago and b/c of that I pretty much looked over every inch of the boat. Outside of one or two booger welds, the welds and seams looked solid. I don't think you can go wrong with buying a Sea Ark.

I only have two good things to say about a 25hp motor. One all the 25hp motors I've seen have been very reliable motors and that they are light enough to lift up out of the water when you get hung up or have to clear weeds.

For me it's not so much a "get there fast" issue, but a safety issue. For me to get to my hunting spots I have to run a river that has a decent current and can get pretty sketchy when the wind picks up. We also have to break ice late in the season.

If you think that the areas you hunt are fairly safe, even in bad weather, then the 25hp will get you to where you need to go.  If anything I'd see what a 30hp would cost compared to a 25hp.  

I totally get trying to keep it under a certain price.  I had to buy my boat used b/c I couldn't swing a new set up. If a 25hp gets you hunting and a 30hp+ motor is a deal breaker, I'd run the 25hp no question.

Link Posted: 5/9/2015 3:20:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Good boats that stand up to Rural AK.

They stand up to hauling wood,hunting,running onto gravel/rocks,big waves and hitting sunken logs.

For the motor are you looking at 2-stroke or 4?

A 25 4stroke will push it but be pretty slow when loaded.

Would go at least 30hp or 40 for best performance.

Especially in 4-stroke.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 8:13:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah I agree with your school of thought on the mindset of its not about getting there fast but safely. I am here in coastal Carolina and the biggest water I'll get into is the inter coastal waterway. I guess I am just too inexperienced to know what is safe and un safe. Good thing I can swim!
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 9:53:03 AM EDT
[#7]
As far as Seaark, they're a good boat.  

I don't know much about the ICWW, so it's hard for me to say about the size.   Here in AR,  several of the WMA'S  have a 25hp max rule.  I run a 1542 with a 25hp.   It's great for running flooded timber bottoms,  being small enough to slip between trees.  But,  being that small, it can get a little hairy on bigger waters is the wind gets up.

Not sure of the types of area you hunt so it's hard to say.  Honestly,  if you can get away with a bigger boat and motor,  do it.  With decoys,  layout blinds two people, I don't have much room left in my boat.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top