Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/22/2015 3:27:19 PM EDT
Hey guys. I have a 2014 Polaris RZR 570 that I am contemplating selling as I don't use it as much as I thought I would. I was going to use it for hunting, but now that I have a 4x4 truck I don't really need it for that either. So I posted it for sale, and got offered a boat ( i did mention I was open to boats).

The boat is a "2000 Trition TR-18" with a 150hp EFI Mercury. If I understand right, Trition stopped making TR-18 before 2000 so it's either a few years older and a TR-18, or a 2000 TR-186. Not sure yet. Haven't looked in person. From the pictures, everything looks in good shape. Here is the text from the ad.

"I have a 2000 Triton tr-18 (18ft) Bass boat with a 150hp fuel injected mercury outboard motor, a humminbird 958c gps fishfinder, a Lowrance elite-7x hdi gps fishfinder, and a mini kota maxxum pro 80. I am also including 2 World Class Sospenders high performance inflatables life jackets. These jackets are over $200 a piece! The boat is in mint condition it has been kept in a garage its whole life with a cover over it and everything on it is original except the trolling motor and fishfinders. Any and every time it was taken out on the water it was washed cleaned and motor flushed. The carpet is in near perfect condition and there are no rips or tears in the seats. I sent the motor back twice to the mercury factory to be tuned and completely serviced and have new injectors put in. This boat is in tip top shape and runs perfect. I got a new boat and don't have room or the need for 2 bass boats. It has updated bilge pumps in it, nearly new tires and new guide rails on the trailer. I am asking $10,500 and I am also looking for a nice camper and would be willing to trade! Feel free to call or text me. If I do not answer please leave me a message I will call you back! "

Anyone got any insight to if this boat is worth it? If we decide it may be, pending inspection, I'm going to take my Uncle with me since he's always owned a bass boat and I have never owned a boat, so he can help me look out for some things. I understand though that this thing is wood free so it shouldn't have rotted stringing or anytthing which was my biggest concern about used boats I looked at before.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 3:30:41 PM EDT
[#1]
garage kept is a nice thing.

maintenance records on motor and compare prices elsewhere.

good luck!
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 3:33:39 PM EDT
[#2]
That;s another thing, I'm glad you mentioned that. I don't have a garage. I would have to keep it covered in the yard. I live in Alabama, it doesn't go below freezing too often. But would I expect quicker deterioration since I would have to keep it out doors with a cover on it? Also it would be trading even.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 3:54:52 PM EDT
[#3]
you'll get a nice cover for $250..replace every 4-5 years if not kept in continuous sunlight.

freezing isn't gonna hurt as much as sunlight I think.

humidity, mildew, maybe empty gas tank condensation could be some future concerns.  the worst thing I believe would be lack of use...

no wood on the boat? excellent...now your concern would be motor maintenance records, impeller changed? lower unit oil color, maybe a compression check?  trailer rust? bearings....

oh yeah..has it seen Saltwater?  saltwater plus 15 years usually isn't a good thing.  I'd definitely look at similar boats for a price check

trolling battery age?  maintained? kept charged?

what are the dates on his services for "sent back to Mercury" for new injectors?  did they varnish up with sitting? did this guy just get the boat serviced before selling?

Link Posted: 1/22/2015 3:59:00 PM EDT
[#4]
This quote has me baffled..
" I sent the motor back twice to the mercury factory to be tuned and completely serviced "
I've been working at a Merc dealer for over 11 years and never heard of sending a motor back to the factory once let alone twice.
Maybe he meant the dealer, not the factory.
Regardless, take it to a dealer and let them look it over, do a compression check and retrieve the data from the engines computer.
The dealer can also look at any warranty work that particular engine may have had done.
Last but certainly not least, take it for a lake test!
See my thread here on buying a used boat.
KB

Link Posted: 1/22/2015 4:10:59 PM EDT
[#5]
How much does a dealer charge to test it? I live in Alabama, he lives in Georgia, about 1.5 hour trip, we planned on meeting in the middle but I might see if I can convince him to let me pay him for the gas to come on down here since I would have a hard time towing my polaris in it's trailer, then getting both the boat and my utility trailer back. Plus I live near the lake.

Link Posted: 1/22/2015 4:18:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Our shop would charge an hour labor to do a basic check-out on the engine. This would include a compression check, check the gear case for water, spark check, reading the engine computer for codes and a test run on the hose. An on-the-water test would be another 1/2 hour labor.  A true Merc dealer can also call in or look up the engine serial number and see what warranty work has been done, if any, on that engine.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 4:19:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Our shop would charge an hour labor to do a basic check-out on the engine. This would include a compression check, check the gear case for water, spark check, reading the engine computer for codes and a test run on the hose. An on-the-water test would be another 1/2 hour labor.  A true Merc dealer can also call in or look up the engine serial number and see what warranty work has been done, if any, on that engine.
View Quote

Thanks! I'll call a few and get a quote. Here is the actual ad here just don't buy it out from under me ! Haha. The pictures seem to suggest it is well maintained.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 4:31:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Boat looks pretty good in the pics, but they are pics. It does look like there has been some water sitting in the bilge due to the black chunky stuff in the bottom (mold or algae).
I also notice it has hydraulic steering. Look closely at the hydraulic ram on the engine as well as the hoses that feed it. I see lots of those rams leaking from the end caps and hose ends.
Note that with hydraulic steering, the steering wheel will almost never be centered when the boat is running straight. This is normal with hydraulic steering and a non-directional steering wheel should have been used.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 4:58:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Get a marine inspection.
Don't buy the boat without a sea trial.
Take it out on the lake for at least 30 minutes to an hour.

If there isn't any wood on the boat then the stringers and transom shouldn't be a problem. Shouldn't being key word...

Get a marine inspection.

And storing the boat outside shouldn't be a problem. Get a good cover for it, make a hoops system of a few pieces of PVC to keep the cover elevated slightly to shed water, take the plug out of the hull (don't lose it and don't forget to put it back in before you launch the boat) and keep the bow elevated in relation to the stern so the boat sheds water and any water that gets in runs to the bilge and out the drain plug...

And get a marine inspection.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 5:30:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Get a marine inspection.
Don't buy the boat without a sea trial.
Take it out on the lake for at least 30 minutes to an hour.

If there isn't any wood on the boat then the stringers and transom shouldn't be a problem. Shouldn't being key word...

Get a marine inspection.

And storing the boat outside shouldn't be a problem. Get a good cover for it, make a hoops system of a few pieces of PVC to keep the cover elevated slightly to shed water, take the plug out of the hull (don't lose it and don't forget to put it back in before you launch the boat) and keep the bow elevated in relation to the stern so the boat sheds water and any water that gets in runs to the bilge and out the drain plug...

And get a marine inspection.
View Quote

Thanks! I just called the local Marina. They quoted a little less than $150 for the inspection. Now I'm just gonna try and talk the guy into us doing that
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top