Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/10/2015 8:59:14 PM EDT
It has been about 8 years since I have done any water sports.  I used to kneeboard and wakeboard.  Are they still popular these days?  I don't typically see anyone doing anything.  Is the black magic kneeboard still a good one?
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 7:58:45 PM EDT
[#1]
People still wake board but the new thing is "teak surfing". The ski boats make such a huge wake now (design feature) that you can actually surf behind them close to the swim platform. Swim platforms used to be made primarily of Teak wood hence the name.
In fact, there were people teak surfing out at the lake I work at today.
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 9:26:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
People still wake board but the new thing is "teak surfing". The ski boats make such a huge wake now (design feature) that you can actually surf behind them close to the swim platform. Swim platforms used to be made primarily of Teak wood hence the name.
View Quote

Sorry but that is not correct.  Teak surfing actually refers to a practice of people laying in the water and holding onto the swim platform (lots of times made from teak), while the boat it underway.  What you are referring to is called "Wake Surfing".  It, unlike teak surfing, is very safe and fun as hell.  It is not as brutal on the body as wake boarding and is pretty easy to learn for beginners.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 1:09:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Sorry but that is not correct.  Teak surfing actually refers to a practice of people laying in the water and holding onto the swim platform (lots of times made from teak), while the boat it underway.  What you are referring to is called "Wake Surfing".  It, unlike teak surfing, is very safe and fun as hell.  It is not as brutal on the body as wake boarding and is pretty easy to learn for beginners.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is the way I understood it as well
I have done neither though
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top