Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/2/2014 9:20:25 PM EDT
I approached Shotar and the other mods about the boating forum after a dozen boating-related requests hit GD - and it became obvious we had an opportunity to grow the forum here.  I'm a licensed captain, and have devoted a great deal of time to gathering knowledge in this space.  I'm willing to devote more time organizing information and resources if there's interest.  I think we have a lot of information we could share, but the first step is organizing.  

What would you like to see organized here about boating?  Here are some of my ideas:

Firearms on boats - domestic (by State) and Internationally - storage/carry, caliber, reporting requirements, maximum rounds/caliber, etc.  
Listing of Boating forums - fishing, sailing, motorboats, and more.  We don't have to know everything - we just have to know where to find it!  
Mechanical issues and troubleshooting
Financing
Insurance
Boating basics - navigation, marlinespike, etc.
Destinations - organized by region
Religious debates - inboard versus outboard, monohull versus multi-hull, etc.  
Licensing and commercial enterprises
Preparedness - ditch bags, firefighting, first aid and other emergencies at sea
Online resources such as weather forecasts and local information
Boating laws & regulations
Anchoring (and advantages/disadvantages of different types of anchors)

Pick something, and let's start gathering useful data.  I'm willing to commit some time to this if you guys will give feedback!

Link Posted: 12/8/2014 12:20:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Mechanical repair/troubleshooting.
<--boat mechanic for 11 years here. Familiar with most on-board systems you'd find on pleasure boats to 40ft or so.

Could probably lump some of those catagories into one like legal stuff.
Sail and powerboats separate.
Nav , moorage and boat handling in one.
Just throwing things out there..
I'd be willing to do what I can.
<--not a computer whiz.
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 9:24:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Mechanical repair/troubleshooting.
<--boat mechanic for 11 years here. Familiar with most on-board systems you'd find on pleasure boats to 40ft or so.

Could probably lump some of those catagories into one like legal stuff.
Sail and powerboats separate.
Nav , moorage and boat handling in one.
Just throwing things out there..
I'd be willing to do what I can.
<--not a computer whiz.
View Quote

Excellent - thanks!  I've read a lot of your work here, and definitely appreciate your input.  I didn't want to offer mechanical content, because that's out of my lane, but you could definitely weigh in there!

So I had kind of expected some sort of response about what people would like to see here.  Is the forum that slow, or am I barking up the wrong tree about content? There aren't really any forums that cover a lot of this, so I thought it would be great to do it here.
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 9:53:34 AM EDT
[#3]
You should call the forum just "Boating"...not "Fishing Boats".  You exclude a lot of boaters ....
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 10:06:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
You should call the forum just "Boating"...not "Fishing Boats".  You exclude a lot of boaters ....
View Quote

Agreed completely - and move it out of Fishing and in to the General section like pets, scuba diving, finances and other general forums.

There's an argument that could be made that the forum right now IS just fishing boats, because that's pretty much all that's discussed.  I believe that's because of the location and name of the forum.  A savvy person might look for ways to expand the scope of the forum (you know, like posting information about boating in general - like captain's licenses, navigation, etc. ), and THEN lobby for a move and rename.  Hmmmm.......
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 11:29:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Agreed completely - and move it out of Fishing and in to the General section like pets, scuba diving, finances and other general forums.

There's an argument that could be made that the forum right now IS just fishing boats, because that's pretty much all that's discussed.  I believe that's because of the location and name of the forum.  A savvy person might look for ways to expand the scope of the forum (you know, like posting information about boating in general - like captain's licenses, navigation, etc. ), and THEN lobby for a move and rename.  Hmmmm.......
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I came to post these suggestions. I wasn't even aware we had a boat forum and then I wasn't sure I should post as it wasn't a specific fishing question.

When I started looking for this forum I assumed it would be in General just like "Cars and Bikes"

In truth I think many ARFcom member treat the outdoor section like a red headed step child.
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 8:53:03 PM EDT
[#6]
As said above the boating forum tends to be a little slow.
Heck, even FL Sportsman and THT seem a little slow at times.
I will agree on consolidating the boating forum into fewer categories.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 5:27:37 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I came to post these suggestions. I wasn't even aware we had a boat forum and then I wasn't sure I should post as it wasn't a specific fishing question.

When I started looking for this forum I assumed it would be in General just like "Cars and Bikes"

In truth I think many ARFcom member treat the outdoor section like a red headed step child.
View Quote
+1 the "fishing" boats kept me out for a while but then I realized it the ONLY boating related place here.

Call it the Arfcom Navy or something lol
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 5:32:59 PM EDT
[#8]
My main interests are PWCs and kayaks, so we'll need a "Not really a boat" section too.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 6:53:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Maybe a Fishing Buddy thread.  I am stuck in California and I always keep getting stuck on boats fishing with anti gun liberals.  
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 7:01:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I approached Shotar and the other mods about the boating forum after a dozen boating-related requests hit GD - and it became obvious we had an opportunity to grow the forum here.  I'm a licensed captain, and have devoted a great deal of time to gathering knowledge in this space.  I'm willing to devote more time organizing information and resources if there's interest.  I think we have a lot of information we could share, but the first step is organizing.  

What would you like to see organized here about boating?  Here are some of my ideas:

Firearms on boats - domestic (by State) and Internationally - storage/carry, caliber, reporting requirements, maximum rounds/caliber, etc.  
Listing of Boating forums - fishing, sailing, motorboats, and more.  We don't have to know everything - we just have to know where to find it!  
Mechanical issues and troubleshooting
Financing
Insurance
Boating basics - navigation, marlinespike, etc.
Destinations - organized by region
Religious debates - inboard versus outboard, monohull versus multi-hull, etc.  
Licensing and commercial enterprises
Preparedness - ditch bags, firefighting, first aid and other emergencies at sea
Online resources such as weather forecasts and local information
Boating laws & regulations
Anchoring (and advantages/disadvantages of different types of anchors)

Pick something, and let's start gathering useful data.  I'm willing to commit some time to this if you guys will give feedback!

View Quote

How hard is it to get a Captains rating?
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 7:11:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Good question!  I'll get a post up when I'm off the water....
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 7:12:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
My main interests are PWCs and kayaks, so we'll need a "Not really a boat" section too.
View Quote

Personally, my vote would be for "boating and water sports"
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 8:57:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That would work.
Please post up what's involved in getting a Captains license when you can. I'm getting too old to be crawling around in boats for much longer.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 9:04:15 PM EDT
[#14]
participation should be fun...  I'd search some other forums first with a mechanical though.

tough to say with a fresh and salt water fishing area already....

I'll bring my toys and stuff over here though!

Link Posted: 12/18/2014 9:17:06 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

As said above the boating forum tends to be a little slow.

Heck, even FL Sportsman and THT seem a little slow at times.

I will agree on consolidating the boating forum into fewer categories.

View Quote
Floridasportsman has become slow thanks to over moderation and a crack down on asshatery

boating and ass hatery go together  

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:58:30 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Maybe a Fishing Buddy thread.  I am stuck in California and I always keep getting stuck on boats fishing with anti gun liberals.  
View Quote
What part of CA?  I'm in the CV and I fish all over the place.

Link Posted: 1/10/2015 8:56:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lets do it!
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 9:02:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Change the name and move it would be the best thing imaginable.  There are a lot of boaters and sailors who don't traffic this forum because it's in such an obscure region of the site.  I think if you can increase traffic flow, many more knowledgeable people would contribute.

Link Posted: 1/10/2015 9:38:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks all!  Nice blow boat wookie
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 10:05:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Thank you, I'm still learning but have an inkling to move on (literally, move on) to a bigger boat in the next 2ish years and see where that takes me.  It'd really be great if we could get this forum moved to just above the Cars and Bikes.  If it gains in popularity, there could be subforums later on but I guess that would have to depend on how much traffic it gets.  

Actually let's just rearrange the forums under the general tab.

Aviation

Boats

Cars and Bikes

And I think we're set

In all seriousness, there is a grooming and haberdashery forum and also a scuba forum.  It's actually a bit baffling that there isn't already a larger boating forum here.  There are tons of fishermen, kayak/canoers, jet ski guys, duck hunters, etc that would be able to make good use of such a forum on the site.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:16:03 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm Interested in this as well. I've lived on a lake for years (family owns a couple of marinas) and have a degree in aviation (pilot). Thought it would be cool learn how to operate larger boats in blue water.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 1:06:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Lets do it!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lets do it!

I agree
I boat almost year round and rarely fish
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 1:41:55 PM EDT
[#23]
I just saw this thread. You could break it down like the Armory does:
Fishing boats
Pleasure boats
Canoes & Kayak
Motors
Miscellaneous
Great water ways I have been on!

JMHO

PITA45
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 7:02:31 PM EDT
[#24]
I agree that having a "Boating" section in general would give a lot more exposure. But honestly if you want a huge pool of people to get nautical questions answered Florida Sportsman's site, The Hull Truth site and for the Go fast guys the Scream and Fly site are fantastic resources.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 7:12:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I agree that having a "Boating" section in general would give a lot more exposure. But honestly if you want a huge pool of people to get nautical questions answered Florida Sportsman's site, The Hull Truth site and for the Go fast guys the Scream and Fly site are fantastic resources.
View Quote

Agreed, but can't we do some things better? I browse THT daily, and see a lot of value there.  Where's their FAQ, though (about the subjects above)?  I read Gord May's firearms laws blogs, which leave a lot to be desired.  We have a humidor forum here for Pete's sake.  I have to think we could add something on the boating front as well....  If NOTHING ELSE, couldn't we become the information source for firearms on boats?  

In the spirit of "what did you do on your boat today?" threads, I ran my big girl up to the marine service guys to have a significant list of repairs and upgrades completed.  Added a few new battle scars stern docking against current and wind without an operational bow thruster (one of the repairs!).  Oh well.  It was a great day to be on the water in SW FL.  

Link Posted: 3/9/2015 7:26:34 PM EDT
[#26]
If only I knew how to hook up a fish finder and radio, could use some help there for sure.
Link Posted: 3/10/2015 1:17:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
If only I knew how to hook up a fish finder and radio, could use some help there for sure.
View Quote

Very simple. IM me if you need help.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top