Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/26/2014 11:34:59 AM EDT
We have an old Evinrude Fisherman 6 outboard sitting in our storage unit.  (Apparently the relative that owned it decided it would be better to have it take up space in my unit, instead of their shed at the lake.   I was out of town on business, didn't know this was going down, or I would have veto'ed. )  I know nothing about boats and their engines.  I don't know when the last time this thing ran.  It was kept in a shed, so it appears to be in decent shape for it's age, at least externally.

While I'm somewhat decent at working on small engines, and have (old) experience with points and condensers, I don't really want to mess with it.

So, my question is, is it worth posting this thing on craiglist?  Or More Better, taking it to one of the boat shops in the area and see if they want to buy it for parts?  Would it's value be greatly increased if I got it running first? (I'm sure it would, but..) If it's not worth it, it's going on the curb, or to a scrap yard.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 12:23:46 PM EDT
[#1]

Does it look like this one? Call and inquire about price.

They super reliable motors used for a small fishing boat. With a small investment of less than $100, you should get another 25 years of service easily.

running conditions ones around here go for $400-500

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 6:05:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't scrap it! If it has good compression it will probably need just a little work to bring it back to life. Water pump impeller, gear lube and some tune-up parts (points, condensers, plugs and maybe coils) and it will be worth 400-500 dollars. Does it have the fuel tank?
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 9:11:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Oh, well then.  I'll have to drag it home and fiddle with it a bit.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 1:36:31 AM EDT
[#4]
IM me if you have any questions.
<---- boat mechanic.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 10:09:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Great little motor. Too bad it isn't a 9.9 which will haul a little ass!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top