Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/21/2014 5:21:36 PM EDT
Co worker and I are looking at Terrova's for our Rangers, I've got a power drive which is a steaming pile of shit and he's got a an old Motor Guide cable steer.  We are both planning on the Ipilot Link models.  We are just mainly looking for your experiences with them, good, bad, life altering, as it's not the kinda of thing you get to take out for a test drive.
Link Posted: 10/24/2014 11:11:56 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a riptide w/Ipilot on my Duckworth.  It's awesome.  The spot lock feature alone is worth the price of the Ipilot.  I fished all day the other day in one spot "anchored" up over a bait ball.  When I'm freshwater trolling, I use it and get about 6hours of run time so long as it's not too windy.

Cutthroat caught "anchored" up.

</img />

Link Posted: 4/6/2015 9:23:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a terrova on my alumacraft dominator.  Mine has been in storage all winter but it got used heavily last summer and I wasn't disappointed.  The 24 volt system has plenty of juice for a day of walleye fishing.  I can't comment on the Ipilot link system because I'm a lowrance man and it works with the hummingbird system exclusively. As far as the handheld ipilot,  it works well.  I don't use the foot control, but rather I move around the back of the boat with the remote around my neck with the autopilot set on a compass reading.  For how expensive they are it better work.  I have the universal sonar in the bottom of the housing but have not hooked uo a second depth finder.  Maybe this summer.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 5:49:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I was just coming in to ask the same question.  Too bad there aren't many responses as I was wondering if it's worth converting from my cable steer. As someone else posted the main attraction for me is the anchor.  

My boat has a 12v now. Would I gain longer fish times switching to 24v over just adding a second battery and keeping it 12v? I don't really need the extra thrust but it really shouldn't cost much more to swap to 24.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 6:01:45 PM EDT
[#4]
I actually got mine and after 1 trip I'm in love.  I programed a track and zig zagged along a shore then went back and forth along the track for fun you can set the speed anywhere from 0.1 mph to 2.5 mph,  According to the gps in my fish finder it was right on the money.  The anchor feature is beyond awesome.  I went fishing with a friend with his boat and picked him and his passenger up later in the day (they both use traditional cable steer systems) they couldn't get enough of it.

One thing I really like about the pedal is it has a neutral spot where you can put your weight on it without steering which is damned nice if the waters choppy but it's only a minimal effort to push forward or back to get it to steer.  I wasn't sure I would like the remote but it's pretty freaking awesome too.

A local dealer advised us against the link as they only have mapping for one lake in Utah and our water levels fluctuate so much that most of the features of the link would be useless.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 7:22:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I actually got mine and after 1 trip I'm in love.  I programed a track and zig zagged along a shore then went back and forth along the track for fun you can set the speed anywhere from 0.1 mph to 2.5 mph,  According to the gps in my fish finder it was right on the money.  The anchor feature is beyond awesome.  I went fishing with a friend with his boat and picked him and his passenger up later in the day (they both use traditional cable steer systems) they couldn't get enough of it.

One thing I really like about the pedal is it has a neutral spot where you can put your weight on it without steering which is damned nice if the waters choppy but it's only a minimal effort to push forward or back to get it to steer.  I wasn't sure I would like the remote but it's pretty freaking awesome too.

A local dealer advised us against the link as they only have mapping for one lake in Utah and our water levels fluctuate so much that most of the features of the link would be useless.
View Quote

I was only thinking about getting the link for more memory and possibly resale value. Most of the lakes I fish are small so I doubt maps would be available just like you ran into with Utah. The other thing that might steer me in its direction is my electronics could use an upgrade anyway. A $700 Humminbird would be worlds ahead of the 2004 systems that are on my boat now.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 8:59:15 PM EDT
[#6]
I had a 55 power drive and it worked , but the terrova is light years ahead.  Battery life with the 80 pound thrust is much longer.  I can run an edge of a weed line or drop off and run the exact same route again and again by recording the first route.  I use the auto pilot feature the most by running parallel to the shore, weedline or break. It works but they're expensive and the cost of 2 interstate batteries plus a charger is close to 2 grand.  Kicker motor territory.
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 8:49:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I had a 55 power drive and it worked , but the terrova is light years ahead.  Battery life with the 80 pound thrust is much longer.  I can run an edge of a weed line or drop off and run the exact same route again and again by recording the first route.  I use the auto pilot feature the most by running parallel to the shore, weedline or break. It works but they're expensive and the cost of 2 interstate batteries plus a charger is close to 2 grand.  Kicker motor territory.
View Quote

I already had dual batteries and on board charger so those were not an issue for me.  Plus Kicker motors are useless to me as I don't troll.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top