Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/12/2014 9:33:32 PM EDT
I just got a new fishing boat, and was looking to add a small solar charger for the trolling motor battery. Has anyone else done this, and if so how large of a charger and what type ?

Thanks for any info y'all got.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 12:12:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Depends on how fast you need to recharge the battery(s). If you use it 2 or 3 times a week, then you'll need a pretty large solar array. If you go out once a month, a 15 -30 watt panel will be fine.
More data needed...
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 5:27:55 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm not looking to fully recharge the trolling battery on my boat, just looking to take advantage of the Florida sun. When I'm anchored fishing, or the boat is docked while I'm at lunch or whatever. I'm just looking to put some charge on the battery while the trolling moter is not in use.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 8:52:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Find the largest panel you can fit in the allotted space. A 15 watt panel is about 12 x 20 inches, 30 watt about double. 15 watts = about 1 amp charge capability.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 4:53:45 PM EDT
[#4]
I'll have to check the measurements when I get back in town. Any brands seem to do better than others ?
Link Posted: 9/23/2014 12:05:41 AM EDT
[#5]
We have the Sunforce panels but most I've seen have done fine. There are a few of these panels out in the marina and seem to do just fine.
Panels come in a plethora of sizes. get the biggest one you have space for.
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 2:29:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We have the Sunforce panels but most I've seen have done fine. There are a few of these panels out in the marina and seem to do just fine.
Panels come in a plethora of sizes. get the biggest one you have space for.
View Quote

I have this exact panel on the roof of my boat shed at our lake place. It tops my group 31 deep cycle battery off to 13.4 volts after heavy use in about a week. I don't know how many days it takes to top it off, we only go there on the week ends. I have to use a regular 10AMP charger overnight if we fish consecutive days. I bought this panel in '07 on sale at Outdoor World. Quality panel.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top