Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/4/2014 11:12:03 AM EDT
I have a 1988 Lowe Family Jon (16' flat-bottom, 275# empty, 5'10" beam) and would like to add a gas motor to take on the larger lakes and do some crabbing on the Delaware Bay. The sticker says max hp is 35.  What would be a good motor?  At this time it would have to be a tiller as I don't have a console.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 3:21:23 PM EDT
[#1]
If you buy new, prepare to pay about $100.00 a horse.  I run a 1970 Johnson 25 horse on a 16 foot Ouachita on the Mississippi. Johnson are damn reliable motors. Ask around, look at what others run. If there are commercial fishermen there, look at what they run. They're not going to have a motor that doesn't start every time and run well.

My choice is a used Johnson 25-35 horse.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 6:26:59 PM EDT
[#2]
At least a 30hp motor.

For a motor one big question should be at the top of the list.

"What dealer has the best reputation."

Yamaha's are the lightest and reliable.

Evinrude e-tecs are not bad. Have to keep the fuel really really clean.

FIL has a 30hp e-tec that has done good except for a cracked injector from water during the winter.

Zuks are very good and have run a 40hp since '00.

Merc can warp on the oil pan.

Hondas are heavy.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 9:24:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys, I do appreciate the guidance.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 11:34:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Make sure you look at weight.  Your 1988 is designed for the weight of a 2 stroke up to 35hp.  4 strokes are typically heavier.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top