Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/25/2014 9:27:18 AM EDT
My son and I built a little one sheet plywood dinghy for him to putt around a lagoon and fish here.  It gave me the itch for he and I to tackle a larger project: a 16-19ft fishing boat.  We're looking pretty hard at the Old Wharf Lumberyard Sport Skiff for it's ease of build and cheap cost.  

I just don't like the fact it isn't self-bailing. When we fish we tend to get a LOT of water and fish blood and bait on the floor and I'd like to be able to flush that out as we go.

Has anyone built their own fishing boat here?  I'd love to hear ideas, plans, good/bad experiences and see some pix.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 2:12:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
My son and I built a little one sheet plywood dinghy for him to putt around a lagoon and fish here.  It gave me the itch for he and I to tackle a larger project: a 16-19ft fishing boat.  We're looking pretty hard at the Old Wharf Lumberyard Sport Skiff for it's ease of build and cheap cost.  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxlXjjsEIuA

I just don't like the fact it isn't self-bailing. When we fish we tend to get a LOT of water and fish blood and bait on the floor and I'd like to be able to flush that out as we go.

Has anyone built their own fishing boat here?  I'd love to hear ideas, plans, good/bad experiences and see some pix.

View Quote

Built a small sailing dinghy back in shop class in Junior High. Wish I had youtube back then! Research man, research! Wish I had more , but good luck. And congrats on spending this kind of time with your kids! Neither of you will regret it, based on my own experiences.

My youth was spent on the Steinhatchee River on the upper Gulf coast of Florida, all 30 years of it.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 11:40:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I used to build pirogues out of 2 sheets of 1/4" 4x8 marine plywood using stich and glue. I built a bunch of them and gave them out as gifts. I finally gave it up.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 12:43:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I used to build pirogues out of 2 sheets of 1/4" 4x8 marine plywood using stich and glue. I built a bunch of them and gave them out as gifts. I finally gave it up.
View Quote

any chance you still have the plans? Id be interested.........
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 4:18:10 AM EDT
[#4]
I started with plans from Glen-L. They have a set of plans that requires 2 sheets of 4x8 1/4 plywood using stich and glue and they send a full size template along with the plans.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 7:06:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Been looking at this.

http://www.unclejohns.com/boat/

Couple of my kids each built something very similar out of 1/8"' luan and scraps this summer, and have enjoyed the heck out of them.
Glue, nails and latex paint, doubt they'll hold up long term, but they learned a lot and had FUN!

One son is 230# and has swamped his a few times (once with a passenger) but it has stayed together so far!
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 7:23:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I started with plans from Glen-L. They have a set of plans that requires 2 sheets of 4x8 1/4 plywood using stich and glue and they send a full size template along with the plans.
View Quote

Console Skiff from Glen L
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 4:16:48 PM EDT
[#7]
I had strong plans to build a flats boat. I did all my research and was about to place the order when the owner of the website pissed me off and I decided not to spend $3000 on his website. Since then I have gone a different route but still plan on doing it some day. Maybe once I get one more kid off to college.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 9:23:32 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

That design is on my Top 5 short list.  I'm still trying to gauge what is reality for us - the Old Wharf LYS is definitely within my (and my 12yo's) level to actually get 'done' within a season.  Some of these other, more complex designs worry me a bit in that we'll be looking at an empty hull 2 years downline.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top