Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/23/2014 7:10:10 AM EDT
I recently upgraded kayaks and my cheap Carlisle Day Tripper paddle just isn't going to cut it. It doesn't have enough bite and I think it's too long for the new yak. Even though I'm higher in the new yak it is narrower, that and my higher angle paddling style make me think I need a shorter paddle. It is a 230 and the entire blade is in the water when paddling so I think I need a 220cm.

Right now I'm looking at an AquaBound Manta Ray ($85), a Werner Tybee ($130) and a Carlisle Magic Plus ($99).

Out of these three which would be the best paddle for inshore and river fishing? Are there any others in the $80-130 range I should consider?
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 12:16:26 PM EDT
[#1]
I cant say which would be best for you. I know the local outfitter here will let you demo any boat or paddle. What boat are you using and how tall are you? Im 5'11" and bought the Native Ultimate FX15. It is a wider boat however I prefer a more aggressive cut with my paddle. A 230 fits the bill just fine, If I wanted a lazy stroke a 240 would be better.  If you can get your hands on one in a show room, put the tip on the ground and push straight down (shaft verticle) and see how much flex the blade has. I like as little flex as possible that way I am not wasting energy paddling.

Edit: Look at the Bending Branches Angler classic for the upper limit of your budget, or save some with the Scout or go all out with the Angler Pro.
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 1:44:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I picked up a Bending Branches Angler Ace last year.

It has a Carbon Fiber shaft, which was my first piece of carbon fiber sporting equipment.
I have to say I'm really impressed.  Super light and very rigid.  A night and day difference from my aluminum paddles.

One of the blades on the paddle also has a little swirl cut on the bottom designed to hook your line so you can easily bring it back in to the boat for changing lures.
Pretty slick.

I want to say I paid $140?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top