Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/17/2014 2:30:15 PM EDT
So, I've recently gotten back into fishing after a long hiatus during college since I have free time again. I've also been a duck hunter for a while now.

I've been looking very closely at jon boats, especially the Pelican Bass Raider. Does anyone have other recommendations for stuff I should be looking at? Motor recommendations? My budget for a complete setup is about $1,000.

Like I said, this will be used for fishing on small/medium sized lakes, rivers, and duckhunting in sloughs and marshes. So an adjustable shaft motor would be best I think?
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 6:54:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Buy what you want, not what others think you should have.

And FWIW, I have no idea what an "Adjustable shaft motor"  is nor would entail, but I certainly wouldn't buy one. Sounds like a gimmick. If you know how to operate a boat, you probably don't need some new techno shit that compensates for knowledge,skills and abilities.

I have a 17 foot Ouachita jon boat. Built in 1970.  The motor is a 1972 Johnson 25 horse.  I run the Upper Mississippi River in her and do just fine. Goes anywhere, runs fast enough to scare you, and cheap.
The river here is not what many people think of it.  
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 11:43:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Buy what you want, not what others think you should have.

And FWIW, I have no idea what an "Adjustable shaft motor"  is nor would entail, but I certainly wouldn't buy one. Sounds like a gimmick. If you know how to operate a boat, you probably don't need some new techno shit that compensates for knowledge,skills and abilities.

I have a 17 foot Ouachita jon boat. Built in 1970.  The motor is a 1972 Johnson 25 horse.  I run the Upper Mississippi River in her and do just fine. Goes anywhere, runs fast enough to scare you, and cheap.
The river here is not what many people think of it.  
View Quote

Haha the Mississippi is pretty much a lake with a current As far as I know, an adjustable shaft is a feature on newer trolling motors that gives you the ability to pull it in if you have to go through some swampy shit. They do seem a lot more expensive though for the amount of thrust you're getting. I'd like to find a boat like yours, but unfortunately most of them seem to be out of my price range. Plus I want to get something I can throw in the back of my truck.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 5:04:02 PM EDT
[#3]
would just start checking craigslist for jon boats and see what comes up in your budget, probably find several, but I wouldn't limit yourself to what you can throw in your truck you would probably be a lot happier with a longer, wider boat and its still a jon boat so weighs very little tows very easily.  if it has an engine with it, ask to hear it run if they have a tank, barrel or water hose hooked to lower unit to be able to start engine.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 7:44:29 PM EDT
[#4]
KSL

There are some great deals right now.

Link Posted: 6/20/2014 12:03:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
KSL

There are some great deals right now.
View Quote

Where are these deals you speak of? I tried searching "jon boat" "duck boat" and "bass boat" and all I've found is a bunch of boats old enough to be my dad and guys who want MSRP for their 10 year old dinged up alumacrafts.

However, I did just buy a decent condition Minn Kota 55lbs Waterfowl edition trolling motor for $175 bucks that I found on KSL
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 12:11:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 12:13:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Am i gonna need a trailer for one of those? I saw them and they look nice...
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 11:56:22 PM EDT
[#8]
So I followed your advice and trolled KSL relentlessly. And I ended up getting this bad boy with all accoutrements for $650 from some Yugoslavian guy in West Valley City...

Link Posted: 6/21/2014 1:36:22 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

So I followed your advice and trolled KSL relentlessly. And I ended up getting this bad boy with all accoutrements for $650 from some Yugoslavian guy in West Valley City...

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/t1.0-9/10369212_10152101943857676_7811692545747553357_n.jpg
View Quote
Nice work.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top