Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/17/2014 3:10:33 AM EDT
I have a 12v 45lb thrust mimnkota, I need 2 GOOD batteries, one to Run the trolling motor, another for lights and fish finder, and also a back up trollin battery.

Id prefer an onboard charger, but anything will do as long as I can plug it in and forget it. Dont want to overcharge and destroy batteries, and I also need to know how to make my outboard (40HP) to charge the batterys as well,

It's all confusing too me, any help would be appreciated!
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 4:42:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Life could not be simpler.  Go to Walmart and get there Group 29 deep cycle battery and be done.  I have four of them and all run MK 45 trolling motors.  They will run the trolling motor all day nonstop and not be anywhere near run down at the end of the day.  My newest is 2 Y/O and the oldest is 5.  Can't tell any difference between them performance wise so far.  Hard to beat for the price and ease of exchange if there is a problem with one.  Mine are the cheaper Everstart, not the Yellow labeled Maxx  One battery will run all at the same time without issue.  Nice to have a spare just in case however.
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 6:54:01 AM EDT
[#2]
THANK YOU!
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 9:40:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
THANK YOU!
View Quote

The main thing is to charge the batteries as soon as you get back in and keep them topped off using a proper deep cycle battery charger.  The group 27 also will work quite well if you don't have quite enough room for the 29's.  They are big and very heavy.
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 9:35:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Not wanting to hi-jack your thread, but what is the recommended amperage setting to charge Deep Cycle batteries?  I usually charge mine at 10 amps.
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 10:01:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Not wanting to hi-jack your thread, but what is the recommended amperage setting to charge Deep Cycle batteries?  I usually charge mine at 10 amps.
View Quote

10 amps is fine, however what makes the difference is the charger.  Chargers designed for deep cycle charge at say 14 volts and stay there until the battery is charged.  Regular batteries are charged and the voltage tapers off towards the end and this will ruin a deep cycle.  Just make sure you have the proper charger or one like mine that has a switch for deep cycle/ maint free and regular batteries and also has an automatic cutoff when finished.
Link Posted: 3/18/2014 11:38:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Make year and model of said 40hp outboard? Serial number will be helpful too.
Link Posted: 3/19/2014 11:58:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

10 amps is fine, however what makes the difference is the charger.  Chargers designed for deep cycle charge at say 14 volts and stay there until the battery is charged.  Regular batteries are charged and the voltage tapers off towards the end and this will ruin a deep cycle.  Just make sure you have the proper charger or one like mine that has a switch for deep cycle/ maint free and regular batteries and also has an automatic cutoff when finished.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Care to recommend a "proper charger"?
Link Posted: 3/19/2014 12:17:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lots of options for chargers. Battery Tender brand, Guest, Minn Kota and Bass Pro all offer proper chargers for deep cycle batteries. These are all "smart chargers" that won't overcharge and kill your batteries.
Link Posted: 3/19/2014 1:46:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Lots of options for chargers. Battery Tender brand, Guest, Minn Kota and Bass Pro all offer proper chargers for deep cycle batteries. These are all "smart chargers" that won't overcharge and kill your batteries.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have been using an old Shumacher (sp?) for over 20 years from Wallyworld.  Brand doesn't matter so much as long as it does what it is designed to do.
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 10:27:12 AM EDT
[#10]
I bought the Minn Kota 345PC 3 bank charger about 4 months ago and so far I really like it.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 5:09:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I bought the Minn Kota 345PC 3 bank charger about 4 months ago and so far I really like it.
View Quote

Don't know if mine is exact model, (mine charges 5A per bank or bat, same thing)  but have been using mine for about 3yrs. Batteries seem hotter and run longer than ANY hand held charger I have ever had, and I have had several .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top