Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/16/2013 9:43:58 AM EDT
I have a 16 foot grumman and the 25 horse Johnson motor croaked and I can't find parts. (Johnson only made it for 3 years arrrggghhhh!)  So, it is time to re-power with a 4 stroke.  What says the hive: Mercury, Honda, Suzuki, Evinrude???  No poll, just want some feedback.

Pic of boat.

Link Posted: 9/16/2013 4:23:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm a yamaha guy but....I think any of them would serve you well.

Are you buying new?
Link Posted: 9/16/2013 4:26:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Unless you plan on doing all the service work yourself, you may want to find out what your local servicers specialize in and stick with that brand.
Link Posted: 9/16/2013 4:35:37 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'm a yamaha guy but....I think any of them would serve you well.

Are you buying new?
View Quote

Yes, I'm done buying used stuff
Link Posted: 9/16/2013 4:38:33 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Unless you plan on doing all the service work yourself, you may want to find out what your local servicers specialize in and stick with that brand.
View Quote

I will definitely not be doing the service myself. Luckily I live next to 2 rivers. I have 5 boat shops within 5 miles that sell/service almost all brands.

I'm going to run here in a few minutes and get a price on Honda and Mercury just to get a ballpark.
Link Posted: 9/16/2013 4:45:00 PM EDT
[#5]
3 cylinder 25HP? What went out on it?

4-stroke is your only option now new.        Do not buy a carb 4-stroke!

If you are buying another 25hp go with a Mercury, if you are going up to a 40hp buy a Yamaha.  Buy an EFI motor, you will thank me later.

Member   Zeiss  runs a marina in Portland.  

http://www.rivercityboatsales.com/
Link Posted: 9/16/2013 5:05:03 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

3 cylinder 25HP? What went out on it?

4-stroke is your only option now new.        Do not buy a carb 4-stroke!

If you are buying another 25hp go with a Mercury, if you are going up to a 40hp buy a Yamaha.  Buy an EFI motor, you will thank me later.
Member   Zeiss  runs a marina in Portland.  

http://www.rivercityboatsales.com/
View Quote

Yes, 3 cylinder 25 hp. Just bought it from a local shop that I found out later was a consignment. Test run everything was great at the shop, they told me it had been gone through and was in perfect condition. No worries I thought. Took it for a long run on the 3rd outing and the water pump went out. This was my first boat and I didn't know that the water pump should be changed out every other year, especially after sitting for some time (which apparently this boat did.) I trusted the dealer

I was able to find the head gaskets and water pump, but can't find the thermostat housing that cracked.  Should run fine if I could get it back together. But something will break in the future and with a motor that was only made for 3 years and they have stopped making parts I'm not going to chance it.  I'll keep searching graveyards for the parts and eventually get it running and get some money back out of it.

I will definitely check in with Zeiss! Thanks for the heads up!
Link Posted: 9/16/2013 5:26:34 PM EDT
[#7]
You may be better off just parting out the old motor on egay. There a lot of parts on that motor that are specific only to that design.
Link Posted: 9/28/2013 9:21:17 AM EDT
[#8]
You may want to double check the weight of the 4 stroke you are going to get.  It may be an issue.
Link Posted: 10/1/2013 7:43:47 PM EDT
[#9]
All new outboards are pretty damn good these days.  Best find the one with the best-longest warranty and has the best-nearest servicing dealer in your area.
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 6:04:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Update: Ended up getting a used 4 stroke Mercury for $1700. It is also a 25 horse like the old Johnson. Just couldn't see putting a brand new motor on an old boat and never would have recouped the investment.  Will get the water pump done before I get her back on the water, just to be sure. Seems to run really nice though.

Also started tearing out the old floors this morning. Going to get her all fixed up while she's in the garage for the winter.

Link Posted: 11/16/2013 6:10:27 PM EDT
[#11]
I strongly recommend these outboards.

tohatsu 25hp efi

oops never mind. didn't see that you'd bought one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top