Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/20/2013 3:29:39 AM EDT
I've been working on this boat for a couple of months. Structurally she's sound as hell. Just looked rough when I got her.

A little more woodwork and she'll be a jewel again.

Link Posted: 6/20/2013 7:58:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Nice !
What is she 19" What power?

I have a love/hate thing with biminis , wouldn't think it would be worth the trouble in VT.

You going to run her on Champlain ?
Link Posted: 6/20/2013 8:03:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Nice job. You'll enjoy her.
Link Posted: 6/20/2013 10:12:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Nice !
What is she 19" What power?

I have a love/hate thing with biminis , wouldn't think it would be worth the trouble in VT.

You going to run her on Champlain ?

I just got back from a week on Champlain with it. Handled up to 4 footers with ease.....The bimini is a necessary evil with the kids.

She's an '82 Eastern 18.5 with a 2003 Yamaha 60. Runs about 28-30 wide open. I would have liked a 70 on her but I got a good deal on the 60 and it still moves right along.
Link Posted: 6/20/2013 10:18:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Wood when I dragged her home.

Now:

Link Posted: 6/20/2013 10:29:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Pulled up at Burton Island state park....before I refinished the bow rails:

My old four winns sucks if the lake is anything but glass. It's a great boat for reservoirs and smaller lakes. I've been out on Champlain on rougher days and it's uncomfortable to downright frightening.

The Eastern is a whole different animal.
Link Posted: 6/20/2013 5:54:56 PM EDT
[#6]
My lord thats a gorgeous boat...Lowell/Downeast designs are my weakspot.

Many jab those who live in the North East but the boats can't be beat.

Keep posting and I'll keep dreaming.
Link Posted: 6/20/2013 7:08:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
My lord thats a gorgeous boat...Lowell/Downeast designs are my weakspot.

Many jab those who live in the North East but the boats can't be beat.

Keep posting and I'll keep dreaming.

Thanks!

My dad has raved about Lowell bros hulls for years. He's had an Eastern and a Sisu and finally just got his dreamboat last year which is a 22' Macleod Custom. He was pretty pleased when I finally drank the downeast kool aid. I found this old girl languishing in some guys barn in Maine and dragged her home.
Link Posted: 6/21/2013 4:02:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Never seen a boat like that one before (especially in these parts) but I like it.  Looks like a great big water boat in a small package.
Link Posted: 6/22/2013 2:43:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Nice job! I love the lines of that hull.
Link Posted: 6/25/2013 1:13:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks guys

Finished up the trim on the console. Not perfect but good enough for now. I think I'll re-re-do it this winter with some nice mahogany and hidden fasteners.

Next is pulling the wood off the seat and refinishing it....getting some cushions made up and painting the deck.
Link Posted: 7/7/2013 12:31:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Got the deck painted and the helm seat wood refinished. I think she's as done as she's going to get this summer.

I need to build a mahogany bench or something to replace those fishing seats at some point though.
Link Posted: 7/7/2013 1:00:54 PM EDT
[#12]
What a thing of beauty.
Summering in Norway I saw some stout designs in that size group but they rarely had big enough motors.
Seems like a great family boat.
Link Posted: 7/10/2013 8:08:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Got the deck painted and the helm seat wood refinished. I think she's as done as she's going to get this summer.

http://i1314.photobucket.com/albums/t571/jmitch1776/DSCN0306_zpsc88b424f.jpg

http://i1314.photobucket.com/albums/t571/jmitch1776/DSCN0304_zps36f64f30.jpg

I need to build a mahogany bench or something to replace those fishing seats at some point though.

How about  a cooler with a cushion on top and another snapped to the front of the console to lean back against? You can never have too much storage.

Link Posted: 8/3/2013 7:07:17 AM EDT
[#14]
I pulled the original cooler out of there because it was uncomfortable as hell. I'm thinking I'll make a bench with a hinged seat out of wood and starboard to add some more storage.

Decided to bottom paint her after all.

Took on 4 and 5 footers on champlain last week. She slammed through them like nobody's business. I was out with a buddy in his 19' bayliner cuddy and every time I'd look back he was 1/2-3/4 mile behind me. Very impressed with the seaworthiness of this sucker.
Link Posted: 8/3/2013 7:32:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Nice boat
Link Posted: 8/6/2013 2:04:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Nice restoration job
Link Posted: 8/18/2013 9:34:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Nicely done sir.. Great looking boat.
Link Posted: 8/20/2013 6:47:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Thanks guys. She's been a blast this summer.

I just scored a bow dodger because the kids and wife would like a little shelter. Should be here next week.

Hopefully it won't be too damn annoying to see over.

Link Posted: 8/21/2013 5:50:35 AM EDT
[#19]
My dad just scored this one in CT yesterday. The exterior is fantastic...the interior needs a bit of work.

Now we've got a fleet

It's back in Maine today having the console cut down. There's no forward seating so that will have to be remedied at some point.

Link Posted: 8/29/2013 1:15:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Awesome...love this thread.
Link Posted: 8/29/2013 9:27:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Pops put a hold on the console cutting and made me an interesting offer. He likes the woodwork and seating arrangement in the old girl I did up and wants to swap.

I'm keeping my engine but swapping boats with him. Going to build in some interesting new seating and try to clone the wood rail up front because I really dig it.

I needed another project anyhow.
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 11:17:34 AM EDT
[#22]
I am soooooo ready for this damned snow to melt and get cracking on these projects!!!

Need to work on both Easterns and I'd really like to finish up this little redmond rowing skiff

Link Posted: 5/8/2014 6:21:50 PM EDT
[#23]

New one goes pretty good.
Link Posted: 5/8/2014 6:22:48 PM EDT
[#24]

Calmest I have seen the lake in a couple years too :D
Link Posted: 5/10/2014 12:04:03 AM EDT
[#25]
Still looks a bit cool there with the sweater and all. Nice fleet!
Link Posted: 5/10/2014 10:12:06 AM EDT
[#26]
I am so jelly.

Is the boat your pops found the same hull?

Your Yamaha has got to be like 100lbs lighter than the Honda? yes?

From my research at one point everyone loved the four strokes but the newer two strokes with the advanced computer controlled ignitions and injection systems are very clean and economical and reliable in a lighter package . Light weight has advantages in a small planeing boat .

Swapping motors and controls with all the wireing and such is going to be lots of work . Seems to me it would be far simpler to just build pops the seating he wants.

At any rate at some point you have to throw down the tools and just use the thing while the sun is out!

I would like to see more of your rowing skill also
Link Posted: 5/10/2014 4:46:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Very Nice!!

I would have expected to see this on the "Before and After" picture thread.

Awesome job
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 1:23:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am so jelly.

Is the boat your pops found the same hull?

Your Yamaha has got to be like 100lbs lighter than the Honda? yes?

From my research at one point everyone loved the four strokes but the newer two strokes with the advanced computer controlled ignitions and injection systems are very clean and economical and reliable in a lighter package . Light weight has advantages in a small planeing boat .

Swapping motors and controls with all the wireing and such is going to be lots of work . Seems to me it would be far simpler to just build pops the seating he wants.

At any rate at some point you have to throw down the tools and just use the thing while the sun is out!

I would like to see more of your rowing skill also
View Quote

The hull is the same. The Yamaha 60 is about 40lbs heavier than the Honda 50.

The honda ran so well during the shakedown run I may just forget about swapping and run with it. It'll save a hell of a lot of work. Never found the time to get the skiff finished :(

I will though.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 1:23:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Very Nice!!

I would have expected to see this on the "Before and After" picture thread.

Awesome job
View Quote

Oh it's there :D
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top