Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/18/2011 7:41:40 PM EDT
We had a pretty good storm come through this afternoon. Waves were about 3 feet and the docks were moving wildly up and down. We usually take a break from working and watch it roll through. They don't last very long, but always do some damage.

This pic taken just minutes befor it really started to blow. The lake always turns green just before it rains. The ducks are waiting to "catch a tube"

These unfortunate people got their bow smashed.

They were using those bungy type mooring lines..

And these poor folk sunk their boat!

We saw these people come racing across the lake and tie up with the side of the boat towards the waves . It was smashing into the headpier and I'm surprised one of them didn't break an arm trying to hold onto it. They then turned it 90 degrees.....with the stern facing the waves... A few minutes later it was sunk.

This is a lesson in what NOT to do in a storm. If you are caught out in a storm, don't run to the dock to tie up! Go into the wind and waves to the other side of the lake, where the wind originates from. This side will be much calmer and ride it out. Put the bow into the wind/waves and anchor if you think you can safely. If you cannot anchor, you will have to keep the boat running and headed into the wind. This is what separates the Captains from the weekend warriors.
Link Posted: 7/19/2011 12:05:45 AM EDT
[#1]
That is what happens when a landlubber owns a boat!
Link Posted: 7/20/2011 4:54:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Well washed and slightly used blue trihull bowrider. Coming soon to a Craigslist near you.
Link Posted: 7/20/2011 5:47:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I have rode out a bad storm on the water.

I was in my brother 16' Maverik Flats boat. Wind was pushing 30+ waves up 7'

It was hell of a day. Only thing lost was his hat.

Now the problem is solved we all put in for a new boat.

32' Sea Vee with (2) 275 Verados, we go off shore.
Link Posted: 7/20/2011 5:50:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/20/2011 7:15:08 PM EDT
[#5]
We watched this crew come in and tie up like in the last photo, paralell to the main dock.  When they figured out they couldn't hold onto it, they tied it stern out like the boat next to them. The 3 ft waves crashed over their 15 inch transom and down it went. The docks float and were gyrating wildly.  Had they tied it bow out, they may have stood a chance. No way I'd have tried to walk on the docks then let alone try to tie up. It really is a shame though. These people probably had no insurance and this will be the end of thier boating. I'm not saying thats a bad thing, there are way too many idiots out there.
Link Posted: 8/19/2011 9:07:32 PM EDT
[#6]
jeez, i haven't been on the water in a few years
but the rules clearly still apply

it's ALWAYS a tri-hull.

just saying.
Link Posted: 4/8/2012 7:40:43 PM EDT
[#7]
I used to head for the islands and idle on the downwind side. If there was a bunch of lightning...I would anchor, run ashore, and huddle in the woods. (Yeah, I know).
Link Posted: 4/10/2012 12:53:16 AM EDT
[#8]
When I lived back east, we would hide out in empty boathouses. Most of them had enough clearance under them to slip a row boat under. When I was in Florida in 2002, I had to hide out in someones covered dock, you didn't dare beach the bow and run into the woods.......gators! This was on Lake Tohopekaliga in Kissimmee.
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 5:30:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
When I lived back east, we would hide out in empty boathouses. Most of them had enough clearance under them to slip a row boat under. When I was in Florida in 2002, I had to hide out in someones covered dock, you didn't dare beach the bow and run into the woods.......gators! This was on Lake Tohopekaliga in Kissimmee.
View Quote

I just went gator hunting on that lake, its a big friggen lake. ive launched out of richardsons fish camp and also the park right off the partin settlement road area that you have to cut down the canal to get to the lake.
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 10:27:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I just went gator hunting on that lake, its a big friggen lake. ive launched out of richardsons fish camp and also the park right off the partin settlement road area that you have to cut down the canal to get to the lake.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup. I kept my bass boat at Richardson's up in their dry storage lot. Good people there!
Link Posted: 10/17/2013 6:45:46 PM EDT
[#11]
yep, and the fishing isn't that bad either, saw a guy cast off the dock right next to the general store area and 2 minutes later pulled a nice size bass
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 10:10:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Caught the two largest bass of my life on that lake. 9#4oz and a 9#15oz on consecutive days. Both right at dusk off of Paradise Island on a popper. No big "explosion" out of the water, just a large "black hole" opened up under the popper. SLURP! it was GAME ON!
When I got the first one (9#4) on the boat, I tried stuffing it in the livewell tail first but it's gills were so wide with it's mouth open It wouldn't go through the smallish hatch. Once I managed to get it in there it tried to beat a hole in the boat. It was pissed.
Made the short run to Richardson's to have it weighed. Beached the boat on the bank next to the ramp and grabbed the fish, engine still running.
When I got to the door, they appeared closed but I knocked anyways. A guy poked his head out from behind the counter and asked what I wanted. I held the fish up and he re-opened to weigh it for me.
Lots of good times during my year down there.
Before I bought that boat, I spent alot of my spare time fishing from the bank around Richardsons.
Link Posted: 10/18/2013 10:20:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Wow, and I thought all the fun was at the launch ramp!

Link Posted: 10/18/2013 10:48:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

I loved fishing on big toho  went out couple times on vacation
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top