Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/7/2016 5:41:18 PM EDT
Last Sunday I went out with Rob and Sarah (and their friends) from the YouTube channel "Deer Meat for Dinner" and we caught and cooked a bunch of spider crabs. Yes I said SPIDER. Nobody eats these things. FWC considers them an unregulated species. Well they're damn good, and under just about every coral head and ledge in the Keys. Anyways I took some friends out on my boat today and did the same thing. Instead of using Everglades seasonings (sorry Rob) I used Old Bay, but it was still super good. And still just as fun to catch. Anyways, on to the pictures. Of course it was washed down with some Yeungling.

BUT FIRST WATCH THIS VIDEO!!!!

https://youtu.be/3Qv_GkvJxTg

And here's some pics from last week:

Link Posted: 8/7/2016 9:02:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 9:42:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Awesome!

What we call spider crabs up here (NJ shore) don't look like those but if they did, I would be all over them.

Deer Meat for Dinner is a great YouTube channel.   I subscribed a while ago and love the videos.  Very cool that you got to take part.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 9:42:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Same thing as post above... google "spider crab" and you will see a spider crab.  Not sure what those crabs are in your picture.

Send those guys to NJ/DE for some delicious horseshoe crabs.

Link Posted: 8/29/2016 4:20:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Awesome!

What we call spider crabs up here (NJ shore) don't look like those but if they did, I would be all over them.

Deer Meat for Dinner is a great YouTube channel.   I subscribed a while ago and love the videos.  Very cool that you got to take part.
View Quote

Theres a 5 page thread over on the bluecrab forum of guys trying it. some said it was similiar in taste to dungeoness. I haven't gotten brave enough to try, especially with how ridiculous the blue crab season is going this year ive got no reason to switch .
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 10:07:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Stone crab season doesn't open for another 6 weeks, the lobster have all been cleared out, and I haven't made any progress on my 14' aluminum boat that's intended for my shallow blue crab spots. So about all that leaves is spider crabs, or fishing. And the weathers been shitty and I haven't really had the time off to go slay fish properly.  I can get these crabs everywhere. We hit the canal on Saturday and got a nice haul.
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 10:47:21 AM EDT
[#6]
https://www.acaquarium.com/animals/common-spider-crab-2/

What were talking about here is the common/portly/Atlantic spider crab. Google says there's also a long nose spider crab which is very similar but I don't think they're in this area. These look a lot like spiny spider crabs but they're in Europe.  Then there's the Japanese spider crab. Fuck that thing. If you guys have a picture of what you're calling spider crabs then that would be cool to see.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top