Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/9/2016 2:00:31 PM EDT
My dad died a couple of months ago and we started trying to clean up his old place.  He didn't have much, but while going through my dads stuff earlier I found his old rod and reels.  One was a penn 60 long beach.  The rod was toast, but the reel looks to be in great shape, just needs cleaning and new line. I never knew he had a rod and reel capable of going out deep sea fishing, let alone if he ever went in his life.  I'm planning to go on vacation next week to destin fl and I think I'll go fishing with it.  I've never been, but it seems like the thing to do for him with his rod.  Questions,

What kind of line should I use?   The old line looks really old, I pulled that out.  You could break it with good hard yanks.  

The rod was in bad shape, I replaced it with an ugly stick heavy weight.  Good choice of bad for gulf fishing?

What oil to use in the gears?  

Any recommended charters in destin?  Any to avoid?  

Any gear you guys recommend for a beginner?  

Link Posted: 7/11/2016 9:32:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
My dad died a couple of months ago and we started trying to clean up his old place.  He didn't have much, but while going through my dads stuff earlier I found his old rod and reels.  One was a penn 60 long beach.  The rod was toast, but the reel looks to be in great shape, just needs cleaning and new line. I never knew he had a rod and reel capable of going out deep sea fishing, let alone if he ever went in his life.  I'm planning to go on vacation next week to destin fl and I think I'll go fishing with it.  I've never been, but it seems like the thing to do for him with his rod.  Questions,

What kind of line should I use?   The old line looks really old, I pulled that out.  You could break it with good hard yanks.  

The rod was in bad shape, I replaced it with an ugly stick heavy weight.  Good choice of bad for gulf fishing?

What oil to use in the gears?  

Any recommended charters in destin?  Any to avoid?  

Any gear you guys recommend for a beginner?  

View Quote

Line depends on what you want to do and what species you want to target.  For fishing off the beach you shouldn't need anything above 40lb.  Braid will give you more capacity but has no stretch and it is more likely to be cut by shells on the bottom.  I usually run braid.

The rod again depends on what you want to do.  If you want to fish from the beach get a rod at least 10' long.  This will let you cast far which is what you want.  You want to get your bait past the sandbars.  If you're targeting other species, prepare accordingly.  For instance, if you want sharks, you'll need a beefier rod which will be shorter and won't cast as far.  That means you'll need a kayak or other method to get you're bait out far enough.

For oiling the gears, pop by your local tackle shop and get some reel oil.  However, from your story, I would recommend getting the reel serviced.  Any good tackle shop will be able to do that for you.

Charters in destin?  I'm in the destin area but can't help you here....me and my buddies just fish by ourselves.

Gear.  You'll need obviously a rod and reel with sufficient line, circle hooks, cut bait, a good knife, steel leaders (almost everything in the ocean has teeth), weights ranging 1-8oz depending on what you're doing, possibly spoons or other lures again depending on what fish you're going after.  

Check out this link and read up.  Have fun out here and sorry to hear about your dad!

http://www.tx-sharkfishing.com/surf-fishing/
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 9:25:53 AM EDT
[#2]
That reel is designed for trolling or drop shot fishing from a boat/pier. You will not cast that reel. If you do it will blow up into the biggest birds nest you ever seen.
Load it with 25-30lb mono. Put it on a 6' to 7' trolling/stand up rod. Any Penn brand reel oil found in tackle shops will be fine. When you store it, back the drag off to minimum.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top