Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/6/2016 9:15:39 PM EDT
I have been fishing all of my life. Im pretty lucky and my family knows i can get fish. Usually i do streams and rivers for trout, but i want to get better at ocean fishing. I will be going down to baja ca this month and need some advice

What kind of rod and reel? I was looking at the penn battle II combo. Id rather have that kind of reel. I plan to do mostly surf but may take it on a boat for yellow tails. Occasionally. Is there  a type or rod? Thinking atleast 9 ft?

What do the numbers on rods mean? 4000? 5000? 6000? Is that their strength? How much line they hold?

Ill be going to Puerto penasco soon. How do you set your line up? Off of the pier i use sibiki rigs? What weight sinker? What shape? What size  hooks? How many hooks? How far to cast? Ive read to cast passed the first sand bar? How the hell do you know where that is? What baits? I was thinking like 50#   braided. Is that ok?

Thanks in advance guys, i know i ask alot but i like to make informed decisions.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 8:56:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have been fishing all of my life. Im pretty lucky and my family knows i can get fish. Usually i do streams and rivers for trout, but i want to get better at ocean fishing. I will be going down to baja ca this month and need some advice

What kind of rod and reel? I was looking at the penn battle II combo. Id rather have that kind of reel. I plan to do mostly surf but may take it on a boat for yellow tails. Occasionally. Is there  a type or rod? Thinking atleast 9 ft?

What do the numbers on rods mean? 4000? 5000? 6000? Is that their strength? How much line they hold?

Ill be going to Puerto penasco soon. How do you set your line up? Off of the pier i use sibiki rigs? What weight sinker? What shape? What size  hooks? How many hooks? How far to cast? Ive read to cast passed the first sand bar? How the hell do you know where that is? What baits? I was thinking like 50#   braided. Is that ok?

Thanks in advance guys, i know i ask alot but i like to make informed decisions.
View Quote

Numbers on the reel typically indicate the size.  The bigger the number, the more line it will usually hold and also the larger numbers will be capable of heavier drag (true with penn).  The battle is a good reel.  If you're trolling for tuna on a boat I would recommend an open face.  Stick with the spinners for inshore/surf fishing.  

Sabiki rigs are good from the pier for catching bait.  Sinker weight depends on what bait you are using, how fast the water is moving and how mobile/immobile you want your bait to be.  Also need to think about sinker type (pyramid, egg, etc.).  Hooks again depend on what you're fishing for, make sure you use circle hooks.  Google surf fishing guide to help you read the waves and figure out where the sand bars are.

Saltwater is like freshwater, you'll get better from just doing it and learning from your victories and failures.
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 2:39:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Be careful of the rod on the Penn Battle II combos, several friends and I all got similar rods around the same time and all but mine have had their rods break easily. A tackle shop told one of my friends that they have also had lots of people coming in with broken rods.

If mine breaks ill just get an Ugly Stick Tiger to put the reel on.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top