Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/17/2015 5:54:16 PM EDT
I'm going on vacation next week in Daytona, FL, and I want to do a lot of fishing. We are staying about 3 blocks from a pier (which I think closes at 7 PM), but at night I want to try surf fishing.

The last time I tried it, I don't think I used a heavy enough weight with a high enough capacity reel, because I would either run out of line before it hit the water, or the current would just carry my bait away.

Is this normal? If not, what cheap (<$100) spinning reel with a larger capacity would you recommend that would work well? For those of you that surf fish in FL much, what bait/weight/rig do you use?
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 7:35:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Not from Florida, but fish the salt atleast twice a week. For <$100 you could pick up a penn battle in the 5-6k size range for that kind of money. If it's not going to be used often you could get away with a penn fierce of the same size for half that. Fierce's drag leaves a little to be desired unless you upgrade carbontex washers. I feel your going to get a variety of answers given the brand loyalty surrounding fishing gear.
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 8:28:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not from Florida, but fish the salt atleast twice a week. For <$100 you could pick up a penn battle in the 5-6k size range for that kind of money. If it's not going to be used often you could get away with a penn fierce of the same size for half that. Fierce's drag leaves a little to be desired unless you upgrade carbontex washers. I feel your going to get a variety of answers given the brand loyalty surrounding fishing gear.
View Quote

It's probably going to be used a few weeks of the year. The saltwater scene in TN isn't huge.

Will the Fierce be enough for that?
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 9:26:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm a Penn Battle fan.......I've landed many a fish from the surf ranging from spot and kingfish to some decent strikers, and it does the deed.

Add enough weight to hold bottom and you are good.....in decent surf I'm good with 3 or 4oz, tho heavier surf or currents may require more. Also, don't be afraid to reel your rig in and reposition if your weight is a shade light....it's part of the deal.

Your best source of info will be the local bait shop.

Good luck
Link Posted: 12/19/2015 5:14:49 PM EDT
[#4]
When I used to surf fish I used two 10 foot Diawa surf rods and diawa reels.  Never used higher than 20 pound mono.  

Sand hook style weights for high surf and regular Carolina rig for low.  

Catching sharks at night is tons of fun from the surf.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top