Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/10/2015 3:37:34 PM EDT
Every year I keep one of the blue fish I catch to remind myself that I don't like the taste.  This year I bled it though.  It was about 30 inches long.  Anyone have a good recipe that I can use.  Trying to minimize that fish taste that blues have.

I caught it with a rod and reel that had no business with a fish that size.  It was fun for a while.  That blue was tired when I finally got it to the boat.
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 4:04:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 5:22:52 PM EDT
[#2]
" Insert any recipe"
Grill it wrapped in tinfoil.
Scrape it all into the trash.
Eat the tinfoil.

Sorry dude, bluefish suck.
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 7:59:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
" Insert any recipe"
Grill it wrapped in tinfoil.
Scrape it all into the trash.
Eat the tinfoil.

Sorry dude, bluefish suck.
View Quote

Lol

I know.  That is why I only try one a year.  Fun to catch, not fun to eat.
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 9:29:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Catch fish.

Hang on big ass hook from tree.

Catch bear.

Wash nasty fish smell off bear.

Eat bear.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 10:37:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Bleed'em and smokem! That or marinade them in italian dressing with a splash of lime juice prior to your preferred cooking method, never had anyone turn their nose up at it. I think most people's poor experience with bluefish is the result of a nasty fish sitting in a hot burlap sack on a party boat for hours before fileting. Blue fish are best bleed and put on ice immediately just as any other table fish.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 11:40:15 AM EDT
[#6]
I love eating Blues, and even Jacks. I just bleed them really well in a bucket of water. Then cut the meat into strips, soak in buttermilk for a few hours. Batter and fry. Delicious. The buttermilk pulls the oily fishy taste out.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 11:45:42 AM EDT
[#7]
my brother goes for them a few times a year and always brings me some. wrap it in foil with , salt, pepper, lemon, a dash of old bay and chopped garlic if you want. i cook it on the top rack of my grill. havent tried it on one of my smokers yet
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 12:23:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Every year I keep one of the blue fish I catch to remind myself that I don't like the taste.  This year I bled it though.  It was about 30 inches long.  Anyone have a good recipe that I can use.  Trying to minimize that fish taste that blues have.

I caught it with a rod and reel that had no business with a fish that size.  It was fun for a while.  That blue was tired when I finally got it to the boat.
View Quote

Pics of fish?

Yankees and your "Bluefish are badfish" prejudices, I swear!
I've got two recipes, either one of them will work great, if you've not bled your blue before broiling, baking, or "boilin' in oil", brother, the problem's in the boat not in the fish on the line!
So start there, every keeper blue I've caught gets it throat slit, and tossed in a bucket of water to bleed. Then, when it's time to go, it gets filleted, and if there's a dark strip of "blood meat" running down the center, that gets cut out. Promptly cool and freeze, or if you are going to use immediately (best choice), get into a milk bath (previous poster's exhortation on buttermilk sounds like a good idea, but I've never tried that). After an overnight soaking, use one of these two recipes, depending on how you feel about health food:

1. Healthier broiled fish option:
rinse and dry milk soaked fillets, placing them in the bottom of a casserole dish. Chop a whole sweet onion, but don't dice it. and place on top, do same with 2-4 cloves of garlic. Salt and pepper. Slice tomato, and cover the top in a layer of tomato slices. One beefsteak usually works well. Bake at 350 for an hour, and fish by broiling last three minutes. Serve hot, and it's pretty good, also works ok for snapper.

2. fried fish:
use this recipe: http://www.tasteofsouthern.com/pan-fried-bluefish-recipe/

This is an awesome recipe when the fish has been frozen.

guy who gave me the top recipe also makes his into a fish spread that's "better than tuna" in his own words.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 12:41:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Pics of fish?

I've got two recipes, either one of them will work great, if you've not bled your blue before broiling, baking, or "boilin' in oil", brother, the problem's in the boat not in the fish on the line!
So start there, every keeper blue I've caught gets it throat slit, and tossed in a bucket of water to bleed. Then, when it's time to go, it gets filleted, and if there's a dark strip of "blood meat" running down the center, that gets cut out. Promptly cool and freeze, or if you are going to use immediately (best choice), get into a milk bath (previous poster's exhortation on buttermilk sounds like a good idea, but I've never tried that). After an overnight soaking, use one of these two recipes, depending on how you feel about health food:

rinse and dry milk soaked fillets, placing them in the bottom of a casserole dish. Chop a whole sweet onion, but don't dice it. and place on top, do same with 2-4 cloves of garlic. Salt and pepper. Slice tomato, and cover the top in a layer of tomato slices. One beefsteak usually works well. Bake at 350 for an hour, and fish by broiling last three minutes. Serve hot, and it's pretty good, also works ok for snapper.

2. fried fish:

guy who gave me the top recipe also makes his into a fish spread that's "better than tuna" in his own words.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pics of fish?

2. fried fish:

First Florida isn't the south.  accept it.

Second, this is the first time I bled it and put it on ice.  I just ate it for lunch.  It turned out much much better.  I did the usual salt, pepper and lemon juice.  I think frying it would produce a much better result.  

Here is the lunch picture.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 1:59:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

That's the first thing out of every Yankee's fisherman's mouth I hear down here, the second is "Oh the blues are much bigger up north!"
Of course, I'm a pseudo-transplant from Central Louisiana, and know a little bit about "the South" and fishing, so I just roll my eyes.
Oddly enough they never want to compare redfish fishing or snook fishing.

Second, this is the first time I bled it and put it on ice.  I just ate it for lunch.  It turned out much much better.  I did the usual salt, pepper and lemon juice.  I think frying it would produce a much better result.  

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c268/captblue1/IMG_20150510_102707_zpsvtudipxe.jpg

Excellent looking fish! Up there, that's middlin' size, down here it's a biggun!
They are very good fried using the recipe I provided, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 2:11:09 PM EDT
[#11]
I forgot to bring something to measure.  My cooler has one but only goes up to 24inch.  It was in the cooler with the tail curled up.  I would say about 30 inches or so.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 6:46:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c268/captblue1/IMG_20150510_102707_zpsvtudipxe.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pics of fish?

2. fried fish:

2 ounce Kastmaster? One of my favorite things to throw.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 8:34:36 PM EDT
[#13]
It was some spoon that I bought at Wal-Mart I think.  I have never used one in salt water.  I think it was either 1.5 or 2 ounce.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 12:02:30 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

It was some spoon that I bought at Wal-Mart I think.  I have never used one in salt water.  I think it was either 1.5 or 2 ounce.
View Quote
Whereabout? The big blues were pretty thick the last couple weeks up and down the shore

Link Posted: 5/28/2015 4:47:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Great bay.  I may have been in the inlet that day.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 6:13:41 PM EDT
[#16]
The ones I keep to eat are more in the range of 25" than the bigger ones.

Bleed then as soon as you can and get them on ice.

When cleaning cut out the darkest flesh

I like to broil with lemon or orange slices.

Some folks just don't like bluefish but I am convinced many who have tried it are convinced they don't like it because they had some bigger older fish that sat on the deck or a hot fish box for half a day
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 7:30:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The ones I keep to eat are more in the range of 25" than the bigger ones.

Bleed then as soon as you can and get them on ice.

When cleaning cut out the darkest flesh

I like to broil with lemon or orange slices.

Some folks just don't like bluefish but I am convinced many who have tried it are convinced they don't like it because they had some bigger older fish that sat on the deck or a hot fish box for half a day
View Quote

The secret is to remove ALL of the blood line from the filets.  You can then prepare them any way you generally like your fish cooked.  
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 9:22:09 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

View Quote

Good deal. Was just out on Monday in my kayak in that area. Launched at the last bridge on Great Bay Blvd. Spent the day looking for fluke to no avail. Too much wind. Wind kept me out of the bay and in the skinny creeks.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 10:22:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Good deal. Was just out on Monday in my kayak in that area. Launched at the last bridge on Great Bay Blvd. Spent the day looking for fluke to no avail. Too much wind. Wind kept me out of the bay and in the skinny creeks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where do you usually fish in the kayak?  behind the stinkhouse in the shallower water?
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 11:48:18 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Where do you usually fish in the kayak?  behind the stinkhouse in the shallower water?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually, that was my first time with the yak in jersey. Typically I Sheff fish up north (Allenhurst, Manasquan, Belmar, etc). I just got the kayak a couple of weeks ago and wanted to get some flatties. I plan on heading south more now.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 10:13:12 PM EDT
[#21]
wrong post.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 10:37:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Smoke them and make fish dip like you would with mullet. I think they are better than mullet for fish dip. I do the same for spanish mackerel.

http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?130283-Smoked-fish-dip
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 6:48:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Bleed them out as soon as possible , get them on ice but don't wash them or let them sit in the water in the bottom of the cooler.
Don't keep any of the bigger ones . toss anything back over 28" or so

When I filet them I cut some of the darker meat off thinking it is stronger

Wrap them in foil with butter salt and pepper and lemon , orange or lime slices and throw on the grill .In the foil I guess it is more like steaming than grilling
but it keeps the fish smell outside and clean up is tossing the foil in the trash.

Keep it simple and don't try to freeze them or store for more than a day on ice.

I don't think I would consider myself a fan of strong fish but a blue every now and then is ok . Yeah I would rather have striped bass
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 6:09:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Small ones i filet soak in italian dressing and grill. Bigger ones filet and smoke them sometimes with a mustard based sauce
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 7:25:18 PM EDT
[#25]
I don't try to eat the big ones.

When I fillet them I cut out most of the dark meat .

Yes to bleeding them.

Don't let them sit if you are going to be fishing for a long period .

Best bet is to grab a couple of medium sized ones when you are about to go in for the day , bleed them and get them on ice without soaking them in fresh water.

I like to fillet them out on the boat where I can wash the filets in salt water , shake them dry and toss them in a zip loc in the cooler.

Wrap them in foil with salt , pepper , butter and lemon and cook on the grill . In the foil it is more or less baking or poaching.

Treat them carefully and they are ok but I don't bother if I have caught any stripers
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 9:07:49 PM EDT
[#26]
No...the best thing to do is to catch some blues and strip out the bellies. Take the strips and put them on a bucktail. Then you jig the bucktail and catch some fluke. Eat the fluke.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 10:33:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Smoke 'em for fish dip.  In FL/AL we use King and Spanish, but Bluefish work just fine too.

Link Posted: 7/20/2016 2:33:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 11:22:53 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I grew up catching and eating them on the South Jersey shore.  There was (is?) a restaurant outside of Wildwood called Menz's that made great Bluefish.  It was grilled and served in foil with butter and lemon.  Wasn't bad at all, and that's how I wound up making it at home usually.

Me and my cousin would go out in the 70s in a little aluminum boat with my Dad and a couple other WWII age dads.  Always tried for the Cape May Grand Slam; Blue, Weakfish, Striper, Flounder.  Good times.

View Quote

The Jersey slam is still a thing. Unfortunately with the decline in the weakie population in the 80s and 90s it's quite difficult to achieve anymore. Places like Fortescue are now virtually ghost towns with the decline of fish in the area, mainly weakfish. I have been hearing of more and more fish caught however so we'll see how it progresses.

Oh, BTW, Menz's is still around!
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 10:09:31 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

The Jersey slam is still a thing. Unfortunately with the decline in the weakie population in the 80s and 90s it's quite difficult to achieve anymore. Places like Fortescue are now virtually ghost towns with the decline of fish in the area, mainly weakfish. I have been hearing of more and more fish caught however so we'll see how it progresses.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I grew up catching and eating them on the South Jersey shore.  There was (is?) a restaurant outside of Wildwood called Menz's that made great Bluefish.  It was grilled and served in foil with butter and lemon.  Wasn't bad at all, and that's how I wound up making it at home usually.

Me and my cousin would go out in the 70s in a little aluminum boat with my Dad and a couple other WWII age dads.  Always tried for the Cape May Grand Slam; Blue, Weakfish, Striper, Flounder.  Good times.

I fished with my dad in the 90s.  We would usually catch a couple Weakies here and there.  In the past couple years, I have only caught one and it was about 10 inches.  At first I didn't know what it was.  I haven't seen one in a long time.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 10:59:01 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Smoke them and make fish dip like you would with mullet. I think they are better than mullet for fish dip. I do the same for spanish mackerel.

http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?130283-Smoked-fish-dip
View Quote

This is the only correct answer.  Save broiling for things like cobia, grouper, snapper, trout.  You know, fish that actually taste good when prepared that way.

Frying is for panfish and catfish.  And I don't eat catfish.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top