Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/7/2015 10:58:16 PM EDT
Headed 'outside' or offshore yesterday.  Ran about 50 miles or so to about 110' of water.  Had an excellent day!

Headed out!

Shrimp boat

Hooked up!

Doubled up!

We limited out on grouper in about 2 hours.  Biggest fish over 30".  Ran back in to around 85' or so and got a 2 person limit (20 fish) on some decent yellow tail and mangrove snapper.  

Back at the dock early...and then fileted fish for about 3 hours!

All in all, an excellent day!  Can't wait to go out again in a couple weeks!
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 11:16:38 PM EDT
[#1]
That had to be one hell of a great day.

Nice fish.

Txl
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 11:22:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Wow.  Are you accepting applications for trainees, groupees, acolytes, or deckhands?
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 4:53:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 7:12:34 AM EDT
[#4]
I couldn't catch that many fish with dynamite .
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 7:16:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Wow, what a great day!

I'll take some Yellowtail filets for dinner, thank you very much.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 9:01:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the responses everyone!  Man, it was a great day!  They would've hit anything we put down there!  Yes!  MMMMmmmmmm....yellowtail!  

LOL, thanks again!  

I hope to post up some more when I head out again in a week or two!
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 1:11:53 PM EDT
[#7]
nice haul! Are those 6000 or 8000 series spinning reels? Thanks
Link Posted: 4/9/2015 5:19:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
nice haul! Are those 6000 or 8000 series spinning reels? Thanks
View Quote

Just looked back at the pics:  I see an Okuma 5500-for snapper, a Bass Pro Frigate 7000, and an Penn 8000 Battle for bigger stuff that we brought with us.  The rest were conventional setups.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 12:40:56 PM EDT
[#9]
First off, great catch!

You say 50 miles or so for 110' of water? Man, what part of FL are you fishing out of? I mostly fish out of Grand Isle or Venice Louisiana and we are fortunate to only have to travel about 15 miles to reach those depths.

My girlfriend and I took a chartered trip out of Destin this Saturday on one of the headboat pilot program boats that can keep red snapper. We went about 20 miles out to some reefs in 100'+ water. No mangroves though, just plenty of reds and a few vermilion and white snapper.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 12:20:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Naples, FL.  Yeah, it takes us about an hour to run to get to those depths...about 50 miles out or so will get us around 107-110' of water.  Shallow down here!
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 6:37:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Damn.  50 miles to get out to 110 feet?  

I go 10 miles out of LA harbor and hit 1000+

Most of my fishing is in 200 to 320 feet.  Something tells me I would die a little if I had to pay the $$$ for fuel you do!

Link Posted: 4/16/2015 11:40:07 PM EDT
[#12]
^^^^Nice!  What are those?  The larger of the two looks like an Amberjack or something.    

Yeah the Gulf of Mexico is shallow down here!  On the other coast you can run a few miles out in the Atlantic and be in some nice deep water.  $$$$$$$$$...that's me pissing fuel money away!  But, I love fishing and we gotta do what we gotta do to get out to them!  I am trying to get out twice before the end of the month and our Grouper regulations change...hopefully more pics and news/reports coming to ARFCOM soon!
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 1:16:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
^^^^Nice!  What are those?  The larger of the two looks like an Amberjack or something.    

Yeah the Gulf of Mexico is shallow down here!  On the other coast you can run a few miles out in the Atlantic and be in some nice deep water.  $$$$$$$$$...that's me pissing fuel money away!  But, I love fishing and we gotta do what we gotta do to get out to them!  I am trying to get out twice before the end of the month and our Grouper regulations change...hopefully more pics and news/reports coming to ARFCOM soon!
View Quote

Yup they are Yellowtail Amberjack aka California Yellowtail.  I've caught two since December a 25 pounder and a 30.  A lot of fun and they really fight.  They are common out here but mostly in the 12 to 20 pound range.  The other fish is a California Sheephead and are tricky to catch.  Picky about taking bait and really hard to hook because of their teeth and mouth shape.  

I'm from Ocala FL but haven't fished the gulf much at all.  Grouper is one of my favorite fish to eat.  Need to go back home sometime and drag my dad out on a charter.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 7:28:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the info!  Those Sheephead good to eat?  Crazy looking fish!

Ok, cool.  Well, if you ever get down around my way, let me know, if we are going out I'd make some room for ya!

Later.

Sizzle
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 12:17:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Thanks for the info!  Those Sheephead good to eat?  Crazy looking fish!

Ok, cool.  Well, if you ever get down around my way, let me know, if we are going out I'd make some room for ya!

Later.

Sizzle
View Quote

They are one of the better frying fish I've had.  The big ones like I caught that trip are a little tough but anything smaller than 25 inches or so is great.  I also like to smoke them with apple wood after removing head and guts.  

There's Sheephead in Florida as we'll but they are a slightly different breed and I've only seen them caught via cast net.  They are zebra striped.  

I will let you know if I am ever in your area. Thanks for the invite.  Same goes to you if you ever are in the LA area.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top