Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/22/2015 8:40:40 AM EDT
Got a lionfish yesterday, but I couldn't kill the other 2 because I didn't have anywhere to put them. Has anyone ever made a PVC pipe or any other sort of lionfish hotel? The biggest PVC our Home Depot sells is 4" but the pro-made keepers all seem to be around 7" diameter... And too damn expensive.

Link Posted: 3/25/2015 7:45:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Cant just spear them and leave them?
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 12:20:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Depends on how dead they are I guess. I wouldn't want to release a live one and have it survive. But I want them for food, since fish aren't going to eat them. Anyways I made my PVC pipe and posted pics in the scuba forum.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 7:17:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I've heard they are tasty fish.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 8:19:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

It was
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 7:03:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Just stab the shit out of them on the spear? My buddy (scuba) does all his flounder fishing with a screwdriver.
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 7:18:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Dunno how to tell you this but.... most don't make real good pets once they've had spears put through 'em.  They just kinda float around all belly up.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 1:19:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Here some people take a 5 gallon plastic bucket and cut the tops into star shapes.
Push lion fish through bucket lid and pull back. Something like this.

http://www.lionfishhunting.com/lionfish-holding-bags-containers-c-13/zookeeper-lionfish-containment-unit-p-47.html
Link Posted: 7/6/2015 11:56:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Dunno how to tell you this but.... most don't make real good pets once they've had spears put through 'em.  They just kinda float around all belly up.
View Quote

I don't think he wanted to keep it as a pet.

OP, I can't believe you can't find any thing bigger than 4" PVC at HD. Maybe try the nearest plumbing supply shops.
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 6:41:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Nope, 4" is biggest local. I ended up getting some green PVC from the sewer project with the fittings. I'll try to post a pic.
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 7:41:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

It was
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was

The one I had didn't have great texture of flavor, it was just very fresh and in a great sauce. Maybe it wasn't flakey because it was undercooked?
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 9:04:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Might have been undercooked, but I've never cooked one myself personally. My wife baked mine in the toaster oven with butter and spices in a tin foil pouch while I was drinking beers. Came out great. I finished the PVC pipe keeper, but I didn't have it with me yesterday. This little lion turned into a huge pain in the ass. I almost said fuckit and fed it to the nurse shark that was chilling with us all day.

Link Posted: 9/8/2015 2:51:50 PM EDT
[#12]
I had a buddy get stuck with one the other day and his hand swelled up like a balloon. Too many good eating non-poisonous fish in the sea for me to mess with those little bastards.
Link Posted: 9/10/2015 4:57:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I had a buddy get stuck with one the other day and his hand swelled up like a balloon. Too many good eating non-poisonous fish in the sea for me to mess with those little bastards.
View Quote

That sucks and I hope I never get stung! But I guess for me, I'd rather shoot these invasive bastards than borderline legal hogfish. I wish the Keys had Bahama size hogs, but we'll never see them unless people stop gunning all the 12 inchers they see.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top