Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/2/2014 1:24:24 PM EDT
I need a new reel and was planning to order another Shimano Sedona FD4000 reel.  It's the only reel I've found so far that will hold up to salt water at $60.  Is there any other reel I should look at that is $60 or less?  I'd like to spend more but for a reel that will only be used a couple times a year it's not the cards right now.  $60 is the max budget.
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 12:29:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a Penn btl8000 like new I'll sell you for $60 shipped. Used 1:time. Spoiler with. 80 braid.

I have a Penn blue water carnage rod ill sell for 50 shipped. Used once.
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 3:02:01 PM EDT
[#2]
The Penn reels are really good. I like the battle models. Also, bass pro has revamped their saltwater line withe frigate and something else. I have 2 BPS saltwater set ups from a few years ago, their inshore express series, and they have held up well to bull reds and huge snook at Sebastian inlet, and I've slayed a many mangroves and trout. Got a big tarpon last winter, but it spooled me out. I'll probably keep buying BPS reels. As long as you soak them after use, and use some reel magic, which you should be soaking them anyway, they'll keep going strong.
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 3:02:42 PM EDT
[#3]
What species will you be going for?
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 3:33:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Penn reels are really good. I like the battle models. Also, bass pro has revamped their saltwater line withe frigate and something else. I have 2 BPS saltwater set ups from a few years ago, their inshore express series, and they have held up well to bull reds and huge snook at Sebastian inlet, and I've slayed a many mangroves and trout. Got a big tarpon last winter, but it spooled me out. I'll probably keep buying BPS reels. As long as you soak them after use, and use some reel magic, which you should be soaking them anyway, they'll keep going strong.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I'd like to try out a battle but for something I use a few times a year at most I'm not wanting to spend the additional $40 over the cost of the Sedona.  From the reviews and people I've talked the Penn Fierce reels that are in the same price range are decent reels but not any necessarily better than the Sedona in most people's opinion.

Quoted:
What species will you be going for?

With the 4000FD, mostly red drum and flounder.  I use the 2500 for trout.
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 3:35:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I have a Penn btl8000 like new I'll sell you for $60 shipped. Used 1:time. Spoiler with. 80 braid.

I have a Penn blue water carnage rod ill sell for 50 shipped. Used once.
View Quote

I appreciate the offer but that's much bigger than I need.
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 5:19:19 PM EDT
[#7]
I looked at those off shore anglers and they just weren't as smooth as the Penn Battles. Bass Pro has the Battle 4000 combo on sale for $119 i think. Hard to beat that. It is super smooth and the paired rod was just right. You can get it a little cheaper at Dick's online i believe. They have some kind of rebate going. The 4000 series isn't too big for freshwater so it can serve a dual purpose.
Link Posted: 6/21/2014 5:30:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Well, turns out Bass Pro will put a Sedona 4000 combo together for you for $99. It's one of their rods, but it seems decent enough. I fished with it today and am very happy with it. The only other reels i considered (after handling them all at the store) were the Battles and the Pfleuger President. However, the President doesn't get good marks for saltwater, so the Sedona it was.
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 1:49:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Well, turns out Bass Pro will put a Sedona 4000 combo together for you for $99. It's one of their rods, but it seems decent enough. I fished with it today and am very happy with it. The only other reels i considered (after handling them all at the store) were the Battles and the Pfleuger President. However, the President doesn't get good marks for saltwater, so the Sedona it was.
View Quote

Yeah I decided to stay with the Sedona.  I picked it up this weekend at Academy for $60 and spooled it with 20lb PowerPro.  I would have liked to try a Battle but I just bought a new kayak and need a new paddle for it so the budget is getting tight.  One good thing about having two Sedona 4000 and one 2500 is that cleaning/repairing becomes second nature since they are made the same.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 6:01:08 PM EDT
[#10]
An ebay spheros would be my choice. Might be more like 75-100 but they seem a lot better built.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top