Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/28/2014 2:26:23 PM EDT
I'll be in San Diego this weekend ( from az) . I want to pier fish.

Don't want to catch anything crazy . What's an easy set up . I have a 7 foot pole with reel already
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 7:40:58 PM EDT
[#1]
http://www.sdfish.com/fishing-piers

Which pier are you going to hit?
Link Posted: 5/29/2014 7:06:23 AM EDT
[#2]
I'll be going to ocean beach pier .

What's the easiest to fish ? I see there are several methods , multi hook, one with huge sinker , single hook stuff .
Link Posted: 5/29/2014 9:43:55 PM EDT
[#3]
That all depends on what you're fishing for. Double drops are for smaller fish. I use them to catch my bait.

The big sinkers are to keep your line in place. What size and shape you use depends on what you want your line to do and how the current is. For my shark rigs from the pier I will typically use a 10oz pyramid. Pyramids grab the bottom and hold better. The guys that float their bait around here typically use 20oz eggs. The eggs will roll along the bottom instead of locking in.

What weight you use is dependent on the current. For instance, you'll need less when the water is stable, more when the tide is coming in or out.

Salt water fishing is way more complicated than fresh water but much more fun.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 7:26:52 PM EDT
[#4]
4 ounce egg sinker rigged carolina style with a 1 or 1/0 ringed fly liner.  I like to have 2 to three feet of line from the swivel to the hook so the bait can swim a little.

Use cut squid, muscles, or live bait.  I catch alot of sharks, croaker, shovel nosed guitar fish here at Huntington beach area that way.   Halibut also bite on live bait but I havent had any luck from a pier.  My uncle got a 18" halibut on huntington pier last week.

Also you can rig double dropper looper but I use that more for boat fishing at 100+ feet.

You can also catch ALOT of fish using a Kastmaster/Krocodile lure.   Your are constantly casting though and casting from a crowded peer can get you into trouble sometimes.

I fish LA county and Orange county often so hit me up if you want to know anything.  Surf fishing is my favorite fishing when im not on a boat.  Pier fishing involves to many people and the bucket brigade.  But sometimes I wanna hang out by Rubys and drink a milkshake and fish a little while watching old retired asian dudes and mexicans figuring out how to fish.  Plus I like to give any croaker I catch away and it makes me happy to see them get a free fish dinner.    
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top