Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/5/2014 9:32:42 AM EDT
I graduated from UF yesterday and am moving back to Jacksonville, FL.  The fresh and saltwater fishing opportunities in this area are kind of overwhelming.

I have a little saltwater fishing experience to date.  I own a brand new surf fishing rod I received for Christmas, and my father owns a 17' boston whaler that we have taken to the Gulf and the inter-coastal.

I really want to get into fishing though.  I want to do it all: kayak fishing, surf fishing, offshore, etc.  I however don't have the slightest idea when to go fishing, where, what to try and catch, what to bring, how to cast, or even how to clean what I catch.

I need some reading material or other internet resources to start learning the basics.  Arfcom got me very knowledgeable about all things firearms, so I need the arfcom version for fishing!

Thanks brothers.

Link Posted: 5/5/2014 1:58:41 PM EDT
[#1]
check out the florida sportsman forums. They have it separated by regions. Lots of knowledge there.
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 10:29:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
check out the florida sportsman forums. They have it separated by regions. Lots of knowledge there.
View Quote

They used to be way better but still have good information
Check out thehulltruth.com
Nothing replaces walking into a good tackle shop like this one
http://www.strike-zonefishing.com/
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 11:14:59 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Strike zone is great!  I went surf fishing today from 12:30-4, and I had my best luck with a hard plastic top lure.  I caught some lady fish, and I had a few bluefish on my line but upon breaching they got off.  

I called it quits when a 5 foot shark swam within a couple feet of me!

I plan on going to strike zone tomorrow to pick up some better tackle to focus on the bluefish and spanish mackerel that are running right now.
Link Posted: 5/8/2014 11:43:32 AM EDT
[#4]
I usually go to their shop in Melbourne. Lots of nice gear, and the staff actually knew what they were talking about.

I usually always use topwater plugs, like zara spooks, for blues. I love catching them. They remind me of jacks hitting on the top. I will usually just reel the shit of of it with jerking motions, and when I see them hit it, if the miss, I'll stop, and they'll usually hit it again while its still. Big spoons also work well for blues. They should hit big wind cheaters too.

Are there any snook that far north? I would think some would be patrolling the surf.
Link Posted: 5/8/2014 6:59:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Glad you are having fun and catching fishing. Keep on working at it and the people at Strike Zone will want to know where and how you are fishing!
Tight lights and keep the thread updated.

Edit. I don't know what works off the beaches up there but down this way a nice spoon lure will help with the Spanish and bluefish. Ask about them.
Link Posted: 5/9/2014 10:03:48 AM EDT
[#6]
I went to strike zone yesterday and picked up a couple of top water plugs, 20 pound fluoro leader, and some other little items.  The man helping me didn't recommend spoon lures, but I might have to go pick some up anyway sometime soon.

I plan on going back to the beach on Monday with a better rod and my new lures.

I am going fishing with my dad in his boat tomorrow, so hopefully I can learn some more tomorrow!  We have talked about trolling for Spanish, but we will have to go with the weather in our little 17' boston montauk.  

Link Posted: 5/11/2014 8:04:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Check out this website and Facebook. http://www.bluewatermovements.com
Facebook has all the pictures. Record amount of fish caught for this tournament.
Link Posted: 5/11/2014 11:32:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the link! I hadn't heard of that site and it looks like a great resource.

We struggled with a very low tide yesterday, which kept us out of the creeks we wanted to be in.  I caught 1 trout on a live shrimp.  

One of my dad's buddy's father is a legendary fisher in this area.  He caught 30 redfish and over 60 trout yesterday not far from where we where.  Just goes to show the value of knowledge and experience.
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 1:29:09 PM EDT
[#9]
You're lucky as far as kayak fishing, Jacksonville seems to have one of the more active kayak fishing forums.  Link

With kayak fishing, the more you hone your skills the more fun it becomes.  When I first started I didn't do so great, but now that I have at least some idea of what to look for on the maps I do a lot better.  Finding a good place that is safe to fish, close enough to a put in, and inaccessible or hard to access by motorboat is a big part of it.  

Persistance pays off.  Don't be afraid to spend hours fishing the same general area.  In my experience fishing in the salt just because fish aren't where you are right now doesn't mean they won't be there in an hour.  Going out at low tide to get a better idea of what the bottom looks like will help a lot when it comes to finding fish.

ETA:  A TopSpot map will put you in a general area and help you figure out what to fish for during certain months.  Don't be afraid to fish well outside the locations given on the map.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top