Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/9/2014 2:55:52 PM EDT
I'm looking for a boat that can be used on the flats, deep sea fishing, and freshwater fishing when I feel like mixing it up. Thanks
Link Posted: 3/9/2014 7:36:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I would love to fish off the USS Ronald Reagan ..  all I got is a 21 foot cedar old town grand laker  square stern ..  perfect for the rivers and lakes here.
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 7:40:07 AM EDT
[#2]
There is NO one, all around boat.
That's why most of us  have a few sitting around
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 10:51:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 11:46:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Look into something in the 22-24 foot range from Boston Whaler. They are a little pricey, but have an extremely good reputation for a reason.
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 1:39:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That's a loaded question.

How far out?  Day only or day and night? How many people? How frequently?  Trailer it or Marina?    What kind of money?  New or used?  Without tying it down, you are between an outboard center cockpit and a 40' Flying bridge.

In case you are wondering, I spent ten years on the Gulf fishing a lot.  I'm not a inlander only did it on vacation sort.  Heck, I use to use canoe at times as well as charter or go out on the 40 footers about three or four times a year. I currently have a 25' Cruiser I have rigged for fishing.  

Tj
View Quote

As far out to catch Cobia, Mackeral, Mahi Mahi, etc. no more than 4 people at a time and will most likely be pulled by a trailer and there's no price range
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 5:28:32 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a Kenner 2102 tunnel hull and have had it in a foot of water and have

been out in the gulf over 40 miles. A bay boat design is very versatile form of

watercraft.
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 10:31:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 6:48:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Sweet thanks
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 10:09:19 AM EDT
[#9]
probably not going to be fitting that on too many freshwater lakes, at least around here, and fishing the flats in something that large would be a pain. If I had to pick, it would be a bay style boat in the 20ft range. BIg enough to go off shore on nice days and handle some chop, small enough to fish in shore and on lakes.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 12:53:03 PM EDT
[#10]
24' El Pescador or A Haynie will do good
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:43:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

If price is no real object, I'd look at the Rabalo R300.  Center console fishing boat with twin 250 hp outboards.  Nice boat with a multitude of standard features like lockable rod holders, downrigger plugs, head with holding tank, built in large cooler, live well, raw water hose to wash fish guts, etc.  Its got a nice deep V, heavy hull, and self bailing cockpit for smooth riding in rough water.  This is a boat that will limit the load it up hassle and maximize the fishing experience.  

All this stuff comes with downside, the dry weight with motors is 8,200 lbs.  That's not a boat I'd be trying to tow with a six cylinder.  

The R300 is their Cadillac.  Its 29' with a 10' beam.  If that's too much boat, then look their R2400 which is more traditional trailer boat, 24' and 5040 lbs.  You give up none of the fishing features but the comfort items like head becomes a porta poti.  

There's cheaper boats out there but that wasn't your question.  You can buy a nice cruiser for the price of a Rabalo but its top of the line fishing boat.

Tj
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How far out?  Day only or day and night? How many people? How frequently?  Trailer it or Marina?    What kind of money?  New or used?  Without tying it down, you are between an outboard center cockpit and a 40' Flying bridge.

In case you are wondering, I spent ten years on the Gulf fishing a lot.  I'm not a inlander only did it on vacation sort.  Heck, I use to use canoe at times as well as charter or go out on the 40 footers about three or four times a year. I currently have a 25' Cruiser I have rigged for fishing.  

Tj

As far out to catch Cobia, Mackeral, Mahi Mahi, etc. no more than 4 people at a time and will most likely be pulled by a trailer and there's no price range

If price is no real object, I'd look at the Rabalo R300.  Center console fishing boat with twin 250 hp outboards.  Nice boat with a multitude of standard features like lockable rod holders, downrigger plugs, head with holding tank, built in large cooler, live well, raw water hose to wash fish guts, etc.  Its got a nice deep V, heavy hull, and self bailing cockpit for smooth riding in rough water.  This is a boat that will limit the load it up hassle and maximize the fishing experience.  

All this stuff comes with downside, the dry weight with motors is 8,200 lbs.  That's not a boat I'd be trying to tow with a six cylinder.  

The R300 is their Cadillac.  Its 29' with a 10' beam.  If that's too much boat, then look their R2400 which is more traditional trailer boat, 24' and 5040 lbs.  You give up none of the fishing features but the comfort items like head becomes a porta poti.  

There's cheaper boats out there but that wasn't your question.  You can buy a nice cruiser for the price of a Rabalo but its top of the line fishing boat.

Tj

Robalo is the correct spelling. Not even close to top of the line center console.
Contender, Seavee, Invincible, Yellowfin, Sea Hunter, Intrepid or a custom like R and R.
I am sure I am leaving out a manufacturer.

Nothing wrong with Robalo but half the cost of any of the manufacturers listed above.
The biggest difference is the production process. The high end center consoles are built for the specific owner.
The owner will pick all the options and layout for their type fishing.

Don't just take my word for it go to the AR15.com of the boating world thehulltruth.com and ask about the best center console
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 6:12:24 PM EDT
[#12]
My older Boston Whaler 220 Dauntless is pretty close to that

Good for freshwater lakes, inshore and nearshore fishing, drafts 12" with the motor trimmed.

The only limit to how far offshore is the weather.  And that is more of a comfort thing than safety. Because in 2' + seas, it really pounds you.

The newer ones may take the chop a bit better.

Link Posted: 8/14/2014 8:27:58 PM EDT
[#13]
There is no boat that will fish flats and blue water safely. A compromise would be a single engine CC but I. Wouldn't. Go very far offshore in one with any frequency. I have fished up to 30 miles offshore in a 24 ft Kenner. But depending on your location that may not get you anywhere near pelagics.

To be safe offshore you need 2 engines, epirb, radio etc...
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 12:42:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Check out a Shallow Sport Latitude 27 if you can find one for sale. They didn't make many, and those that bought them don't seem interested in selling them. They replaced it with the X3 which will get you out there but is not as desirable (from what I understand) as the Latitude.
http://www.shallowsportboats.com/
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 1:06:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Probably couldn't go too wrong by getting a walk around.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 11:04:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
My older Boston Whaler 220 Dauntless is pretty close to that

Good for freshwater lakes, inshore and nearshore fishing, drafts 12" with the motor trimmed.

The only limit to how far offshore is the weather.  And that is more of a comfort thing than safety. Because in 2' + seas, it really pounds you.

The newer ones may take the chop a bit better.

View Quote

I always thought the Dauntless was the best looking boat Whaler made.  I had a Montauk and
I put that thing in everywhere there was a ramp in Texas.  There is no boat I've ever found
as good as a BW.  When you're in a Whaler and the water is rough and the weather is foul,
you'll have confidence in the boat because it's built so solid.  In second place I'd put the
Pescador.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 7:32:52 PM EDT
[#17]
I would buy a 25ish foot center console with atleast 250hp worth of engine/s.  If you wanna fish offshore just wake up early get the boat in the water and run 25 knots or faster for a hour.  Fish until 1PM and run back.   You beat the worst of the chop that way.  Or just fish until dark again and come back once it calms down.   Don't plan on staying dry though.  As a Florida boy I am partial to Mako's but there are alot of good boats out there just do your research.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 7:38:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Somebody else's boat is best boat.

Just bring beer, but some gas - GTG.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:40:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Somebody else's boat is best boat.

Just bring beer, but some gas - GTG.
View Quote

Truth.  I show up with a case of Bud and some cash for bait and fuel.  Far cheaper.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 9:45:12 PM EDT
[#20]
how much moneys did you want to throw at "best" boat?

edit:  I read the thread a bit more....I'd vote for a twin hull  around 23 feet, (easy towability)  cuddy/walkaround/ "weatherstation" with twin "90's" for economy and insurability....
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:00:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Probably couldn't go too wrong by getting a walk around.
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 11:22:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 11:23:26 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 11:23:57 AM EDT
[#24]
I'm not a inlander only did it on vacation sort
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 11:26:38 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 11/26/2014 11:27:11 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 1:18:08 AM EDT
[#27]
Check out a 20-24' Pathfinder. Very good boats, can get kinda skinny, and go nearshore to catch Cobia and such.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 3:22:39 PM EDT
[#28]
It depends on where you are going to spend a majority of your time.
Check out the new Crevalle bay boats, it sounds like it may fit your bill.

Also contender has a new 24 footer thats a good "compromise boat"

I run a Bonefish Hill Tide 22 but spend most of my time inshore/back country fishing.

Link Posted: 12/7/2014 4:44:53 PM EDT
[#29]
I'd buy two boats. You're talking about two completely different types of fishing.

Personally I'm lining up to buy 2 boats in the next 3 years. Starting off with a 2014 Hewes Redfisher18 for fly fishing and light tackle on salt flats and marshes of VA. After we pay that off we'll be looking for a few year old 26-28 twin Outboard powered CC for launching from Virginia Beach and running out to the grass lines. Same boat can be used to run the bay and bridge tunnels. My real passions when it come to fishing are offshore and flats fishing though. Sitting all day casting at the bridge doesn't really peak my interest.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top