Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/27/2013 12:10:20 PM EDT
I recently purchased a Penn Fathom conventional reel.  I plan on using this to surf fish.  I'm having a hard time determining which rod to put it on.  My plan is to be able to cast about a 3 ounce weight plus a piece of cut bait out.  Anybody have any suggestions?
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 7:24:05 AM EDT
[#1]
What size Fathom?
I would suggest either the OceanMaster rod by Bass Bro Shops or the Tsunami Airwave. Look at the weight ratings of the rods to determine which to buy. The trick to getting good distance is to match the rod to the weight being cast. Too much weight and you'll over load the rod. Too little weight and the rod wont load up enough to cast efficiently.

Have you evr casted a conventional reel before?
One of the best forums for surf fishing is www.pierandsurf.com
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 11:42:16 AM EDT
[#2]
I would use no less than a 9' medium heavy. Lots of surf fishers use 12' rods. They want to be able to get it out there.

As already stated, get a rod that matches what you're throwing, otherwise it won't cast right. Also, having a long base is a must in my opinion, as it gives you that leverage when you're heaving the shit out of it.

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 3:37:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Figure out what brand you want to buy. Personally, I'm a St. Croix whore. Personal preference. Once you narrow down on a brand or set of brands, look at the lure weight ratings for the rods. Then look at the line rating and length. As stated earlier, the longer the rod, the farther you are likely to cast (think trebuchet). I use a St. Croix Mojo Surf at 11' paired with an Avet SX for surf casting with a lever drag.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 6:51:10 AM EDT
[#4]
St Croix Mojo rods are nice, but theres no way I'm paying $300 for a purple rod. LOL
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:05:55 AM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

St Croix Mojo rods are nice, but theres no way I'm paying $300 for a purple rod. LOL
View Quote

It's ok, I only paid $240..  It's only an 11'er. I'm going to pick up a Legend surf sometime this year.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 7:34:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Thank you for all of the help.  I ended up going with a 12' Ocean Master with the ability to throw 6-12 ounces.

Quoted:
Have you evr casted a conventional reel before?
One of the best forums for surf fishing is www.pierandsurf.com
View Quote

I have not.  I plan on taking it to the river sometime and just practicing my casting from the bank.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 10:18:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Good choice. You'll be happy with it.  My conventionals are loaded with 17lb Suffix Tritanium with a 50lb shock leader.

Some tips
When you start practicing, set the mags at full and work down from there.
Ease yourself into it before trying to launch it hard.
Make sure you always lay the line evenly across the spool. You will get better distance and minimize the chances of a blow up
Make sure your shock leader knot is not on the same side you place your thumb! Trust me you will only make that mistake once! LOL
Practice with a minimum of a 6oz weight. Since the rod is rated 6-12oz, you need to be within that range to properly "load" the rod during the cast.
Stop the spool with your thumb the moment your weight/bait hits the water, even if you are only a split second late on this you'll have a blow up
Do not try to stop the spool during the cast for any reason. Many times it will look like a blow up is eminent but it works itself out before the cast is complete.
Trying to stop the spool mid cast without a thumb guard is another painfull mistake you will only make once.

Thats all i can think of for now. Dont forget to register on pierandsurf.com
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 1:09:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Great information, thank you!  I just signed up on PierandSurf.com.  Looks like a lot of good information on that site.
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 9:30:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Great information, thank you!  I just signed up on PierandSurf.com.  Looks like a lot of good information on that site.
View Quote

I'm 1badf350 over there too.
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 10:58:19 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm swingr1121 on p&s..
Link Posted: 5/17/2014 2:01:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

It's ok, I only paid $240..  It's only an 11'er. I'm going to pick up a Legend surf sometime this year.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll be test driving my Legend Surf tonight....local reports say the bluefish and stripers are in the wash....will see for myself in a few hours
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 8:54:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I'll be test driving my Legend Surf tonight....local reports say the bluefish and stripers are in the wash....will see for myself in a few hours
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Report?
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 10:28:21 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Report?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Report?

You don't need a report from him. He doesn't catch fish.  
Link Posted: 6/6/2014 11:07:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Report?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top