Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2016 7:36:04 PM EDT
Its just about time to start here in Oklahoma. Just thought I would get something started.
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 8:00:10 PM EDT
[#1]
We have them in lake Belton but I have no clue how to catch one.  Better chance of getting a Gar.
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 3:32:23 AM EDT
[#2]
You have to snag them. They wont intentionally hit any sort of bait. If I knew how to attach pics I would post pics of the rig I use to snag them. Basically  a big treble hook about a foot above a big sinker. My favorite fish to fish for. Big fish and big fighters.
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 12:11:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I have "fished" for them in southeast Kansas. Stepson snagged a monster with his little Zebco kids rig and tangled up Half the guys along the river but we did finally get it in.

I hated the elbow to elbow bullshit and only went a couple of times.

Are you planning to fish above grand lake?
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 1:44:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I will go to tbe Grand river system if Im in a  boat. Its easier to stay away from the crowd.  Mostly I fish the Arkansas river. The crowds dont get as big. I hate that elbow to elbow crap too.
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 11:05:38 PM EDT
[#5]
I fished below the dam at Chetopa, Kansas. You know when the fish are there by the elbow to elbow fishermen.
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 5:25:35 PM EDT
[#6]
I would thiik that there would be some really good spots an Arkansas
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 3:43:35 PM EDT
[#7]
James River arm of Table Rock can be pretty entertaining during snagging season.  I have seen some big ones snagged, but have not done much myself and have never landed one.  I may have to give it another go this year.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 11:56:42 PM EDT
[#8]
I have been gathering gear to go snagging my first time this season.  So far I have a 14' Meat Hunter, 2 Quantum Optix 80 reels, and snagging hooks.  They're $30 reels so if one of them breaks I'll have a backup ready.  Going to put 50lb braided line on them.  Just need to get some sinkers and I should be good to go.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 5:50:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Snagged one by accident back in the early 2000's with a GLoomis SJR721 and 6 lb test Stren when fishing for walleye.  It was about 4 foot long
Link Posted: 3/16/2016 12:04:53 AM EDT
[#10]
I have been twice in the last three weeks. Snagged two the first trip and another two this last weekend. Tbe biggest was 60#. Nothing huge but still respectable. I need to figure out how to post pics on here
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 3:31:49 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm from SE kansas and have fished for them all my life, dad loves to do it. Fish Chetopa a lot but usually end up down in Miami, Ok. Here was my biggest from 16' nothing huge by Miami standards but still a good time.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 3:39:04 PM EDT
[#12]
The only one I ever caught snagged itself.  I was tightline catfishing from my boat and suddenly one of my rods up and left the boat.   

I figured that I had lost the rod and reel for good, but was able to snag the line with another rod and ended up getting my rig back and catching the spoonbill as well.  It wasn't all that big, but the memory will last me forever. 
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 3:47:28 PM EDT
[#13]
it gets pretty ass to elbows when they're really running. but a case of beer & a few buddies turns into a hell of a night
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 3:51:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Yep, our season doesn't open until late fall though.  I don't believe I have any preference points so I probably won't be able to draw a tag this year
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 4:03:11 PM EDT
[#15]
pretty shitty to have to draw tags for something like spoonbill. Hell in OK its just the price of a fishing license & KS its a fishing license & a $12.50 snagging permit
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 4:16:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Always wanted to give it a try.  Applied for tags this year for the first time.  Have an invitation to go with someone who has all the right gear and know how if I get the tag.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 4:23:28 PM EDT
[#17]
its a hell of a lot easier out of a boat, but i think it takes a lot of fun out of it. It's nice from the aspect that it is a lot less work but it not the same kinda fight as you get from the bank.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 4:30:53 PM EDT
[#18]
I usually don't fish for birds.  It's messy and seems unsportsman like:
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 4:44:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MonkeyGrip:
I usually don't fish for birds.  It's messy and seems unsportsman like:
http://www.exploringnature.org/graphics/color_diagram/spoonbill_diagram_color150.jpg
View Quote
Might be one of these too:

Link Posted: 3/25/2017 8:18:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Only in February.  The Kentucky side of the Ohio is open to paddlefish snagging. Limit is one a day total of three a year.And IF you snag one the law is YOU MUST KEEP THAT ONE. But right across the water in Ohio the DNR has a no touchie rule that can land you in some big time trouble. Weird I know.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 1:03:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Had a buddy that was down in Miami last night & they were running. Water was still pretty low but enough current to get them to move. Think he ended up snagging 15 or so & was down there 5-6 hours. Biggest was 50-60 pounds
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 1:06:34 PM EDT
[#22]
We'd snag them just below a small drop in the river, using large treble hooks and heavy tackle. 

They're big, heavy, and fight. Very bloody fish so if you have intentions of eating them (gross) you need to bleed them immediately. 
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 1:19:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By DangerJ:
We'd snag them just below a small drop in the river, using large treble hooks and heavy tackle. 

They're big, heavy, and fight. Very bloody fish so if you have intentions of eating them (gross) you need to bleed them immediately. 
View Quote
Gross? Have you ever tried them?
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 1:34:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By triburst1:

Gross? Have you ever tried them?
View Quote

Yep, I was not a fan. I know that some enjoy it - I've not found a freshwater fish that I enjoy eating.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 10:08:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Did not draw a take permit - but I did get a Catch and Release tag.

Tell me about gear.

I have my old glass surf rod - It's basically a big heavy 12' spinning rod - I don't see a rating on it.  Unfortunately years in storage have not been kind to it, 2 of the 5 guides are broken and the tip top is toast.  I ordered a set of fuji guides and will replace the guides and tip top.  I've built several rods over the years so replacing guides and laying the threads in epoxy won't be a problem.  Guides probably cost more than the rod is worth, but oh well.

I have two reals for it, a large spinning real (Ryobi - releatively cheap real)  and a Daiwa baitcasting real.  These were both for the surf rod, so fairly large capacity reels.   I think the baitcaster holds over 300 yds of 30 lb test mono.

I was thinking maybe loading both reals up with 100 lb test braided line - but I've never actually used a braided line before (mostly fly fishing, I've done a lot of trolling with lead core and monel wire, my spinfishing / baitcasting experience is limited to monofiliment lines though)

suggestions?
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 5:55:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 4:31:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Bump for the 2018 season.   Heading out Thursday morning- river is 12" below flood stage and over 30,000 cfs.   Should be interesting.   The high flows are supposed to trigger the spawning run, but it doesn't make for easy fishing conditions.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 8:35:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Filled my tag in SD today.

Bottomed out a 50# scale. 5 1/2' long. Good times.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 11:44:51 AM EDT
[#29]
I caught 7 over 2 days, all released as I only had a snag and release permit.  This was the largest - we guessed 60 ish lbs.  Caught 1 small fish that had a lip tag.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 12:02:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DangerJ] [#30]
When there were huge floods ten years ago, people were snagging 6' spoonbills just below small dams or water drops.

Get a giant treble hook, weight, and some braided line. Throw it out and try to snag one.

I didn't see the appeal after a couple. It's boring and your line snags a lot.

You need to bleed them immediately. The meat's not great in my opinion.

ETA: LOL just realized this thread is over a year old and I had already posted in it.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 1:00:53 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm primarily a fresh water fly fisherman.  There is nothing elegant about fishing for paddlefish.  But I thought it was fun.  In our case we were fishing a high, near flood stage river, and the fishing conditions were difficult.   Water was up into the willows lining the bank so just casting was a challenge, not to mention the long sweeping snag stroke.  It took a considerable amount of floraforming to get a fishable spot carved out.  The river was 0 visibility as well, so there was no targeting a specific fish.

Hooked one fish that was just not going to come in.  Tussled with it for probably 20 minutes, it was dug into the bottom and the current like a tick on a hound.  Reel in a few feet of line, it would take it back, it would take out a few feet of line, and I'd get it back.   I'm using a 12' surf rod, and 65 lb braid.  When I finally managed to land him it was actually a fairly small fish - 25-30 lb male.  I think he was hooked in such a way that he was able to keep his head pointed into the current and stay oxygenated.

I still have not drawn a keep tag.  I'm hoping to, I'd like to keep a mid sized male just to try the meat, and to have the skull beetled.
Link Posted: 6/30/2018 5:55:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By johnh57:
I'm primarily a fresh water fly fisherman.  There is nothing elegant about fishing for paddlefish.  But I thought it was fun.  In our case we were fishing a high, near flood stage river, and the fishing conditions were difficult.   Water was up into the willows lining the bank so just casting was a challenge, not to mention the long sweeping snag stroke.  It took a considerable amount of floraforming to get a fishable spot carved out.  The river was 0 visibility as well, so there was no targeting a specific fish.

Hooked one fish that was just not going to come in.  Tussled with it for probably 20 minutes, it was dug into the bottom and the current like a tick on a hound.  Reel in a few feet of line, it would take it back, it would take out a few feet of line, and I'd get it back.   I'm using a 12' surf rod, and 65 lb braid.  When I finally managed to land him it was actually a fairly small fish - 25-30 lb male.  I think he was hooked in such a way that he was able to keep his head pointed into the current and stay oxygenated.

I still have not drawn a keep tag.  I'm hoping to, I'd like to keep a mid sized male just to try the meat, and to have the skull beetled.
View Quote
Last year a couple buddies and I went to a popular dam for snagging in Oklahoma.  One buddy and I had caught a few in the 30-40lb range.  They fought decent but not too hard to land.  Then the last friend who hadn't hooked anything all day finally gets one.  It ran down river peeling line off of his reel.  We thought this thing had to be a monster.  It pulled my buddy down past the wall we were all snagging from, past the landing spot, and another 60 yards down river.  He had braided line so I was able to see where it entered the water.  When the fish went into a fairly shallow part of the river I waded out to find it because my buddy was getting tired and we wanted to land this thing.  When I got close I noticed a small spoonbill that I thought could not possibly be the one he had on.  I reached down to grab it and up came his line with it.  We were in shock.  This 15(ish) pound spoonbill had fought harder than any other spoonbill snagged that day by anyone at that dam.  It was snagged in the tail and was able to use his full force to pull.

It's all about where that hook hits.
Link Posted: 6/1/2019 8:26:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Attachment Attached File

This years trip.  I landed 3, lost 2.  landed a small shovelnose sturgeon also, another prehistoric oddity.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top