Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/18/2015 3:03:37 AM EDT
1. They are a fish
2. They are delicious

Anyone have any good tips on getting started landing some channel cats?
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 3:27:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Pretty easy to catch.

A baited hook (worms, shrimp or liver) sitting on the bottom for long enough will catch them.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 8:08:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Perch, big hooks and heavy line.
Look for eddys near a fast running water source, big cats like to lay and let food come to them.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 8:14:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Caught this guy on shad

Link Posted: 7/18/2015 4:24:53 PM EDT
[#4]
What pound line minimum should i be looking at?

Currently have 8# braided on everything.

Edit: we will be shore fishing
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 4:27:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 4:29:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Depends on how big a Catfish you are fishing for.  I would personally go at least 16#  given that where there are small catfish, there can also be big cats.  Also, since you are likely going to be bottom fishing, there are rocks, trees, old cars, dead bodies, and other things that you can get snagged on or that could put a nick in your line.  Heavier line is more forgiving to those things.

You also need to remember that a catfish may swallow your bait before you realize you have him hooked, and they do have fairly abrasive "teeth" that can quickly fray and break line.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 4:35:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Pretty easy to catch.

A baited hook (worms, shrimp or liver) sitting on the bottom for long enough will catch them.
View Quote

You know how I know you don't know what you are talking about?

TRG
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 4:42:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Edit: we will be shore fishing
View Quote

I've been an avid channel catfisherman for 20 years.

I prefer a lightweight, open face, spinner.  20Lb test 8lb weight, braid.  Braids hold up better against the wear of the teeth and the rocks they inhabit.

I use a small/medium treble hook.  I like a dip bait.  Wal-Mart sells a decent dip bait.  Ask your locals if they are using any local homemade brews.  

I prefer a pencil cork.  Some people use a quill, but a small pencil cork is best.

You will find it best to start with the bait suspended 18-24" below cork, use no weight.  The dip bait is enough to pull it down to the correct level.

The channels tend to cruise within 2-20' of the shore looking for shad.  They won't be deep this time of year.  If you get no bites, move the cork down in 6" intervals.  They will be all about the same depth.  Once one hits, the rest will come to dinner.

The pencil cork offer almost ZERO resistance to the channels.  It will simply pop up the water in a flash.  Keep the line from getting too much slack, because it is best to set the hook as the cork is going under.  

TRG

Link Posted: 7/18/2015 5:35:20 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

TRG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Pretty easy to catch.

TRG
I've caught them tight-lining real close to the bottom, stump lines, jugs, box traps, hoop traps, trot lines, limb lines.  What exactly are you calling a "pencil cork".  I googled it and came up with nothing.

Link Posted: 7/18/2015 5:43:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I've caught them tight-lining real close to the bottom, stump lines, jugs, box traps, hoop traps, trot lines, limb lines.  What exactly are you calling a "pencil cork".  I googled it and came up with nothing.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pretty easy to catch.

TRG

pretty sure this:

Link Posted: 7/18/2015 6:45:06 PM EDT
[#11]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pretty easy to catch.

TRG

pretty sure this:

http://www.barlowstackle.com/Assets/ProductImages/Misc/Bobbers/990032.jpg

Yes, that.

Some call them 'quill' corks as well.  Some actually do use bird feathers to make quills, but, imho, it's not necessary.  The commercial ones work fine.

TRG
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 6:54:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pretty easy to catch.

TRG

I prefer the pencil cork to tightlining.  Channels are predators, not bottom feeders. I always seemed to get snagged when trying to find them in deep water.    We caught them deep, but, in mid-summer in East Texas, shorelines were where they were at.  We went to the bridges and deep pilings when the sun got to be too much.

We caught them around bridge pilings in deep water, submerged tank dams, broken concrete slabs.  Any place that draws baitfish, you'll find them prowling.

Best way to find baitfish (to OP) is to look for places that offer food or shelter for them.  Sunny rocks with moss in shallow waters .. perfect.

Submerged objects (as posted by others) also is a great place to look.  

since you will be shore fishing, look for semi submerged trees, snags, and sloped rocky areas.  All will be good locations to catch.

One thing to note, channels, although predators, like the commercial dip baits.  Easy to apply and almost nothing else eats that shit.  Not perch, crappie, bass, turtles, etc.  It's draws (almost) exclusively, channel cats.

Shrimp, shad, worms .. all draw other fish to your that you probably are not interested in catching.

Don't be afraid to fish in close.  We used to catch 2-4lb channels in water that I swear were no more than 6" deep with rolling waves against rocks.  Literally, 6" deep and within a foot of the shore with waves rolling ... BAM!  Mid July.

TRG
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 10:13:52 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

TRG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pretty easy to catch.

TRG

I've caught plenty of channel cats fishing on the bottom.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 10:22:00 PM EDT
[#14]
2-5 lb cats are best for eating. A large shad or 6-8 in ch perch (sunfish, bluegill,) on a large hook tight lined with a heavy weight is how we always caught them. Allow the bait some swimming line, 18-24 inches. TRG is right about where to look for them but like I said they like to lay in eddys (behind bridge piers, logs, points, etc) and wait for prey to swim into range. Amazing just about any bait will work on catfish in general, everything from live bait to ivory soap bars cut into 1 inch cubes. Gold fish were always good to us on the Sabine River, the cats at mill creek bridge near sabstapol liked perch and large shiners cast into the channel.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 10:31:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pretty easy to catch.

TRG

Sure.

TRG
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 10:33:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
2-5 lb cats are best for eating. A large shad or 6-8 in ch perch (sunfish, bluegill,) on a large hook tight lined with a heavy weight is how we always caught them. Allow the bait some swimming line, 18-24 inches. TRG is right about where to look for them but like I said they like to lay in eddys (behind bridge piers, logs, points, etc) and wait for prey to swim into range. Amazing just about any bait will work on catfish in general, everything from live bait to ivory soap bars cut into 1 inch cubes. Gold fish were always good to us on the Sabine River, the cats at mill creek bridge near sabstapol liked perch and large shiners cast into the channel.
View Quote

Correct, but, specifically 'channel' cats require specific bait, depths and techniques.

TRG
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 10:36:13 PM EDT
[#17]
I have always had the best luck with good old night crawlers on the bottom for channel cats...get some blue cats from time to time as well.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 11:04:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Correct, but, specifically 'channel' cats require specific bait, depths and techniques.

TRG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

TRG

Flat heads (oppaloosa) and blues (high fin blue) eat only live bait, the channel will eat anything.
Edit semi-commercial fished for cats on and off for a couple dozen years.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 12:32:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Flat heads (oppaloosa) and blues (high fin blue) eat only live bait, the channel will eat anything.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

TRG

Correct.

EDIT: Channels will eat anything ... but.. there are some things that only channels will eat (99% of the time .. mostly).  They are predatory omnivores.  You can target your bait to them.

We never fished for blues.  We didn't want them.  In a decade of fishing for channels, I only caught two blues.

That was the reason we avoided live bait or cut bait (shrimp, shad, small perch).

We wanted 1-4lb channels, nothing else.

OP... Chicken blood is another 'channel only' bait, but, it takes some skill to cast properly and doesn't hold a hook as well as dip baits.  

TRG
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 6:02:22 PM EDT
[#20]
If targeting channels I like to use beef liver instead of chicken liver as it stays on hook much better and gives them a little different bait than 90% of the locals use in heavily fished waters. When rigging for them try a few different sets as in a typical "fishfinder" rig with a slip sinker and a few rods rigged with the bait held off the bottom (by float or a static weight tightlined to the bottom with your hook tied above weight off a leader). You will have to experiment with leader lengths based on current conditions and depths. If you are fishing from a boat or by shore techniques can differ.
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 6:14:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/19/2015 9:08:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Flat heads (oppaloosa) and blues (high fin blue) eat only live bait
View Quote

Hardly, the blues have eaten everything I've offered.   My girlfriend and I were out fishing for them on the Potomac on Saturday.  She prefers just fishing with some bait rather than using lures.   So I gave her some hotdogs to use rather than some white perch and other fish bits I had with me.  She had caught one before I got my stuff squared away.  I've found using my old tail-less Gulp mullet works really well too, either just suspended or on a jig head casted and retrieved.  In the few hours out there I landed at least a dozen and she had at least six.  The same works for the channel cats in the same area too.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 5:29:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Aside from other species hitting it, do cats hit the liver and worms just as well as dip baits?

I don't mind landing just about anything.  Not exclusively going for cats, but if dips are the way to go ill give that a try.

Edit: and what about adding scent?  Was talking to a guy at work that swears by dip bait with some of that spray on shit on it but I'm questioning the necessity of adding more scent to that stuff
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 5:38:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Yellow cat (especially belly meat) > channels/blues

Blues and channels both take cut/dead bait. Yellows are a bit more picky.

Last catfishing trip we soured a 5-gal bucket of grain (nice and stanky) and baited 3 holes. By the time we had baited hole #3 and run back to hole #1, the channel cats were thick. My boys caught them until they got tired. We had a blast, and fried up a mess of fish the next day.
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 6:15:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Aside from other species hitting it, do cats hit the liver and worms just as well as dip baits?

I don't mind landing just about anything.  Not exclusively going for cats, but if dips are the way to go ill give that a try.

Edit: and what about adding scent?  Was talking to a guy at work that swears by dip bait with some of that spray on shit on it but I'm questioning the necessity of adding more scent to that stuff
View Quote

Here in Texas, the perch are gonna fuck up your day with the worms as bait.  Liver is something we seldom used.  It just didn't seem to be something the channels wanted.

Grab three (blood, shad, liver) of the little 16 ounce tubs of dip baits, some trebles, and pencil corks and you're GTG

Dip baits are just dead-solid-easy-to-use and you get less 'stanky on yo panky' with them.  Dealing with liver, and trying to get it on the hook ... in the summer, it's just tedious as well.

TRG
Link Posted: 7/20/2015 9:38:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Here in Texas, the perch are gonna fuck up your day with the worms as bait.  Liver is something we seldom used.  It just didn't seem to be something the channels wanted.

Grab three (blood, shad, liver) of the little 16 ounce tubs of dip baits, some trebles, and pencil corks and you're GTG

Dip baits are just dead-solid-easy-to-use and you get less 'stanky on yo panky' with them.  Dealing with liver, and trying to get it on the hook ... in the summer, it's just tedious as well.

TRG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

TRG

The liver really needs a little "aging" and most people don't want to touch it afterwards.
I find cheap plastic gloves like they wear at subway work good for baiting with stink baits.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 9:36:36 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

The liver really needs a little "aging" and most people don't want to touch it afterwards.
I find cheap plastic gloves like they wear at subway work good for baiting with stink baits.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

TRG

Yup.  Chicken blood (if you can find it) is much easier to deal with than liver.  Also, though, very messy.  Constantly either washing your hands, rinsing them in the lake or finding goop and gore on your clothes.  Catfishing is messy enough without liver and blood to handle.

A dip bait, a short stick, and it's much less mess to deal with.

TRG
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 11:07:42 AM EDT
[#28]
Grabbed some dip bait. God damn the stink on that shit cuts right to your soul.  Gonna hit the Fox River up this evening and see if we don't have any luck.
Link Posted: 7/21/2015 1:14:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Grabbed some dip bait. God damn the stink on that shit cuts right to your soul.  Gonna hit the Fox River up this evening and see if we don't have any luck.
View Quote

If you fish for cats long enough ... the smell of the dip bait starts to make your stomach growl with hunger.  It's weird.

FWIW, I read a true story about a man that used to trap skunks.  He  would excise the scent bags and keep them in a quart jars.  He would, once the jar was filled, use the scent bags (filled with skunk scent) on a treble for bait.  

When asked about the stank he also said after a while the scent of skunk made him hungry.

TRG
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 12:40:08 AM EDT
[#30]
Well we struck out on the cats.

Tried a local 40 acre lake during the day for some panfish.  Got a crappie and 3 gills.  Crappie and one of the gills were decent size.  The other two swallowed the hook so they made the decision to keep for us.

Then we tried the Fox River in Burlington for cats.  Couldn't find any decent areas with low enough current to fish with a slip bobber.  By the time I realized there was no such spot it was too late to try anything else.

Suggestions?

I was thinking running a slip sinker rig.

Also how the fuck do you keep that dip bait on your treble hook?  No matter what I did I'd always come up after a few casts with just scraps remaining from what I first put on hanging onto the hooks.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 2:50:28 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
snip

Also how the fuck do you keep that dip bait on your treble hook?  No matter what I did I'd always come up after a few casts with just scraps remaining from what I first put on hanging onto the hooks.
View Quote

IMO, you don't.  it's not suited for multiple casts.  you could try bait with more fibrous materials that may last longer, or a dip tube or some such as well.  However, being drug through the water or a fast current will remove it from the hook.  Someone else might have a better answer, but that's what I know to be true.

examples:

dip tubes: http://teamcatfish.com/ez-load-dip-tubes.html

dip with fibrous inclusions:  http://teamcatfish.com/sudden-impact-fiber-bait.html
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 9:51:36 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

IMO, you don't.  it's not suited for multiple casts.  you could try bait with more fibrous materials that may last longer, or a dip tube or some such as well.  However, being drug through the water or a fast current will remove it from the hook.  Someone else might have a better answer, but that's what I know to be true.

examples:

dip with fibrous inclusions:  http://teamcatfish.com/sudden-impact-fiber-bait.html
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
snip

examples:

The fiber stuff works, particularly with the hooks with coils to hold it better. It takes less of it than you think too.

That bait is stanky though.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 12:34:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

The fiber stuff works, particularly with the hooks with coils to hold it better. It takes less of it than you think too.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
snip

examples:

They make hooks with springs on them, and some people take hat-sponge (orange block sponge) to make a medium for the stink baits to cling to.

Personally, I've used the 'modified' hooks and sponges.  It does work, but, I generally just use a slightly smaller hook (#5 off the top of my head) and if the bait is casts gently, you can get 2-3 cats, but, it's a matter of practice.

The bait serves as chum, so losing some is really not a bad thing.  

TRG
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 5:36:01 PM EDT
[#34]
I had my best luck with just the spring (no sponge).  At first I was putting a big wad of the fiber on there, and even casting gently (which my kids havent grasped yet) slinging off the majority of the bait was common.  After a while, I discovered that just a little of the fiber on the coil was still catching plenty of channels.  We tried some hooks with sponges but ended up just ripping them off and just using the coils.

I had never used that type of bait before (I'd always just run jugs/trotlines when trying to get serious, and live/cut bait with rod&reel).

We caught a shitload of good eating-sized fish, and a good time was had by all.

ETA this topic reminds me that I want to take the kids fishing before school starts again...
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 8:06:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I had my best luck with just the spring (no sponge).  At first I was putting a big wad of the fiber on there, and even casting gently (which my kids havent grasped yet) slinging off the majority of the bait was common.  After a while, I discovered that just a little of the fiber on the coil was still catching plenty of channels.  We tried some hooks with sponges but ended up just ripping them off and just using the coils.

I had never used that type of bait before (I'd always just run jugs/trotlines when trying to get serious, and live/cut bait with rod&reel).

We caught a shitload of good eating-sized fish, and a good time was had by all.

ETA this topic reminds me that I want to take the kids fishing before school starts again...
View Quote

The 'store-bought' pre-made sponges are too tightly made.  The hat sponge (for cleaning a stetson) has a very open structure.  We would buy a single sponge at a hat shop and then cut/trim a piece and place on the hooks.  At the time, we were using a homemade cheddar cheese and hog brain mix.  Maker has gone out of bidness now and the dip baits were almost as good.

I agree that even a few clinging fibers works.  There is a 'under hand/ side arm' cast that I like to use that kinda just tosses the whole bait and cork gently out.  You can't do an overhead cast, for distance, until you get the need for smooth and easy down.  

Lake Tawakoni State Park is a prime place for bank fishing for channels here.  I need to make a  morning trip up there asap.  The drought had the lake down too far for the two previous summers.  I;ts probably hoppin now.

TRG
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 9:41:43 PM EDT
[#36]
I need a trip to Falcon or Amistad, personally.  I owe my son a trip to the best restaurant CFS I ever tasted (Paraiso restaurant, Zapata Texas) anyway.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 7:25:14 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I need a trip to Falcon or Amistad, personally.  I owe my son a trip to the best restaurant CFS I ever tasted (Paraiso restaurant, Zapata Texas) anyway.
View Quote

Chicken fried steak huh? That's my goto place when I work in Zapata.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 8:33:56 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Never had better, and I've eaten it at a lot of places.

They make a mean mexican plate too, but not as good as Lala's in Mirando City (about an hour away).

ETA- next time you are there, order one if you like CFS. If you don't like it, IM me and I'll pay for it.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 6:18:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Been doing some jug fishing on the Tombigbee. Try to have them out before daylight baited with cut skipjack. even with water temp around 87deg, most of our catch are around 7 ft deep.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:54:56 AM EDT
[#40]
My Son and I went out last night for the first time in a while fishing for channels, we needless to say used livers, I thought we would at least run into a lot of small ones, turns out the action was fairly slow, we fished 3hrs and only caught 2, both were descent fish though around 5lbs each, I chalked it up to the fact that the little ones didn't seems to be around and devouring the bait as soon as it hit the water and gave the better fish a chance to locate it, I was considering buying some shrimp, anybody have any tips on using shrimp? Thanks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top