Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/25/2015 11:26:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: urbanredneck]
South FL here...still plenty of bass and bluegill. I haven't seen a crappie in a while, think the last one I caught was out off 27 somewhere.

bullseye snakehead (these guys get big, 24") but even though they have become common, they don't seem to be crowding everything out so far

tilapia (hybrid species) these and the mayan cichlids seem to be the most common. Fun to catch, but I don't think they are going to leave much room for bluegills and bass without human stocking programs, jmho

(mayan cichlid)

Oscars are gone more or less, killed off by the cold and replaced by the above 2. The only ones I have seen are down in south dade.

This is my next target...these are swimming freely in the the central palm beach area. Clown knife fish

Link Posted: 4/25/2015 11:41:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Not sure fish wise up here in north central florida.....

All the native stuff seem to be thriving just fine... I've never caught anything non native.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 2:28:43 PM EDT
[#2]
I thought this was going to be about immigration.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 2:34:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Pretty soon this shit will take over all of Missouri and southern Illinois. Can't get rid of it.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honeysuckle
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 3:54:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By rocky59:
Pretty soon this shit will take over all of Missouri and southern Illinois. Can't get rid of it.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honeysuckle
View Quote

Want even thinking of water plants.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 4:13:04 PM EDT
[#5]
I have heard the cichlids are good eating.
Link Posted: 4/25/2015 5:00:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Californians.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:59:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By akethan:
I have heard the cichlids are good eating.
View Quote

Yeah, tiliapia, Oscars, mayan cichlids...they're all just basically from the same family of fish that you buy in the supermarket. I cleaned one of those tilapia the last time I went hunting, my god they have a set of guts in them. It wasn't all that great but all I had to cook it at the time was a fire, I didn't bring any oil or seasoning for fish.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 12:16:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Some jackass introduced northern pike up here. destroyed the trout, grayling, char, and well just about everything. State said open season on them with bonus points for snagging.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 12:26:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Mexicans
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 12:28:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Here in Texas the main aquatic invasives are Giant Salvinia, Hydrilla, Zebra Mussels, and Asian Clams.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 6:32:25 PM EDT
[#11]
This

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:20:41 PM EDT
[#12]

That looks like a lot of fertilizer jumping around there. Surprised there hasn't been a commercial use for them yet.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:45:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By urbanredneck:

That looks like a lot of fertilizer jumping around there. Surprised there hasn't been a commercial use for them yet.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I've read that they taste good.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 9:55:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Rock bass.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 6:34:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Asian carp in my area is probably the most talked about, also white perch on Lake Erie to my understanding they are not native.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 2:51:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Latest outbreak I've read about is a breeding population of Nile monitar lizards in Palm beach
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 3:27:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Invasive to my yard.

Smart bastards.  Squirrel proof bird feeder

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 3:36:47 PM EDT
[#18]

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 3:44:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By JellyBelly:

View All Quotes

The only way they taste good, and I mean the only way is when you catch em, grind em up, fertilize your garden with said grinded up fish goo, and eat the vegetables that grow out of that highly fertilized dirt.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 3:47:29 PM EDT
[#20]

The only way they taste good, and I mean the only way is when you catch em, grind em up, fertilize your garden with said grinded up fish goo, and eat the vegetables that grow out of that highly fertilized dirt.
View All Quotes

Veggies
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 5:31:20 PM EDT
[#21]

View All Quotes

Honest question, Have you ever tried silver carp?  I'm not talking regular old carp that lay in the mud and eat off the bottom.  Silver carp are actually pretty good.  By no means my favorite fish to eat, but they are a soft white flesh with a clean taste.  They filter feed in the middle of the water column, so there is no muddy taste like a regular carp.  Our bowfishing club teamed up with the DNR and we were cooking them for people at our state championship shoot.  There was talk of trying to get the named changed to something without carp in it, because people won't even try them when they hear it.  

Link Posted: 4/27/2015 6:09:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Sorry, I didn't notice this was a fish thread. But I did read recently that goldfish had taken over a lake near here. You would think they would get eaten or die quickly. I guess fish are pretty tough.

Seeing that most people somehow Kill their pet fish in the first few weeks of buying it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 6:18:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Jeffreynmandy:
Sorry, I didn't notice this was a fish thread. But I did read recently that goldfish had taken over a lake near here. You would think they would get eaten or die quickly. I guess fish are pretty tough.

Seeing that most people somehow Kill their pet fish in the first few weeks of buying it.
View Quote

Goldfish are a kind of carp, right? They get pretty big if there's enough food and room to grow. I've seen a couple softball sized goldfish swimming pool sized man-made ponds. Freaky, bug eyed softballs...
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 8:14:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SexyPenguin] [#24]

Goldfish are a kind of carp, right? They get pretty big if there's enough food and room to grow. I've seen a couple softball sized goldfish swimming pool sized man-made ponds. Freaky, bug eyed softballs...
View All Quotes

Originally Posted By Jeffreynmandy:

They are a type of carp.  There are a few wild schools in the rivers here.  Most of the time they lose the orange and turn more of an actual gold color, much like a common carp.  Most people would mistake them for carp if they weren't aware of a few minor differences.  Here is one that I shot on the Des Plaines River.  

Here is one that my buddy shot that had lost all of it's orange.  Crappy picture, but you can see it's pretty well carp colored here.

Link Posted: 4/29/2015 5:58:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: urbanredneck] [#25]
View Quote

Top picture definitely a snake head, not a bowfin

Correct. That chart has. northern snake head as opposed to a bullseye snake head like my girl caught.
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 6:13:06 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 4:03:37 AM EDT
[#27]
Only real invasive species in our waters is the Asian Carp. They are getting more and more populated.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 7:05:57 AM EDT
[#28]
In the Potomac, it's snakeheads and blue catfish. I picked up some topwater frogs for snakeheads, but haven't had the chance to go after them, yet. Never got into catfish fishing - fish are too damn ugly
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 11:28:25 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By terpdx:
In the Potomac, it's snakeheads and blue catfish. I picked up some topwater frogs for snakeheads, but haven't had the chance to go after them, yet. Never got into catfish fishing - fish are too damn ugly
View Quote

Wait till you hook into a big blue
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 11:34:12 AM EDT
[#30]
Broward Co, Loxahatchee to be precise:

I pulled in several large oscars about six months ago fishing in a canal.

We were out in the Glades and witnessed a boat docking with 3-4 very large coolers filled with a couple hundred Oscars as well.

I've pulled in a lot of Peacock bass, Midas, and snakeheads.

Up here we've just got problems with carp. And everyone's worried about the spread of Zebra mussels and the jumping carp getting into the Great Lakes.
Link Posted: 7/16/2015 6:29:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By lunyou:
Only real invasive species in our waters is the Asian Carp. They are getting more and more populated.
View Quote

Ya, this. There are so many you can't fish the rivers or confluence of the Mississippi/MO any longer. Has gotten so bad we've basically lost our river duck hunting. Just no vegetation left in the rivers to hold them.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 8:58:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Round gobies.  Make perch fishing a lot more difficult.  I catch two for every perch on the st Clair river in Michigan.  I killed twelve of them last month alone.
Link Posted: 10/4/2015 9:58:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Grendelsbane] [#33]
Cheat grass increases wildfire hazard.

cheat grass /drooping broam

ETA:  The state pays 300k/ year to suppress the carp in Utah Lake. They are entertaining to bow hunt.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 11:27:33 AM EDT
[#34]
Zebra muscles and white perch. The white perch were accidentally included with white bass when the department of wildlife and parks stocked a local reservoir. They have spread to a few other lakes since then. It's now illegal here to have live fish when leaving an ANS designated lake. They have a tournament for them on at least one reservoir with the rule that you can't throw any back. I think the biggest problem with them is they get 10"+ and put up enough fight to interest anglers so some idiots like the idea of having them in their local fishing hole.
Link Posted: 5/17/2016 11:44:46 AM EDT
[#35]
Gobies
Asian Carp on the way
Zebra Mussels
Lamprey

Link Posted: 5/22/2016 11:21:49 AM EDT
[#36]
Around my area its probably the snakehead as well even though there are not that many of them.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 7:34:04 PM EDT
[#37]
walleye and burbot
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 10:20:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Idpapaperoperator] [#38]
EDIT: JK White suckers arent invasive they are just annoying.
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 10:52:52 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By HellifIknow:
Here in Texas the main aquatic invasives are Giant Salvinia, Hydrilla, Zebra Mussels, and Asian Clams.
View Quote

And fucking tilapia... I hate those damned things
Link Posted: 11/9/2016 6:25:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Quagga mussels...
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 9:09:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Quagga? mussels here....and crayfish.  They can be devastating for lakes and streams.
Link Posted: 12/25/2016 12:27:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Surtr:
walleye and burbot
View Quote

If you're gonna have invasives those are some good ones to have. #1 and 2# for good eating fish out there.
Link Posted: 2/9/2017 9:57:52 AM EDT
[#43]
Hunting Lion fish with a Glock.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lG-snJZIV8

Pretty cool.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 1:43:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Snakeheads you say?
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 2:00:37 PM EDT
[#45]
We  recently  got pigeons.
  some goofy  fast growing weed,  locals call it indian paintbrush, cover the lawn in a month.

. Cruise ships started arriving, so we get temporary human waves, they usually gone by dinnertime though.
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 2:23:49 PM EDT
[#46]
Trust fund liberals
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 9:23:45 PM EDT
[#47]
My understanding is that snakeheads are really fun to reel in and the filets are tasty.
Any truth to this?
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 9:37:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Kudzu
Privet
Honeysuckle
Bamboo
Asian Carp
Zebra Muscles
Hydrilla
Water Hyacinth
European Starling
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 9:53:25 PM EDT
[#49]
Mostly city folk
Link Posted: 8/20/2017 11:16:27 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Surtr:
walleye and burbot
View Quote
I know I'm quoting a year old post, but I ate a burbot for the first time the other day and it was delicious.

The elusive walleye is one of my favorites as well. If walleye and burbot or even Pike were an invasive species near me, I don't think I'd complain too much. We have a smallmouth bass, white bass, and yellow perch problem out here but most people don't complain because they're easy to catch and are good to eat or use as bait fish.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top