Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/15/2015 2:30:22 AM EDT
I grew up fishing in rivers and ponds in GA and North FL.  I stopped freshwater fishing much when I went to college.  Haven't really been in the last 15 years or so.  I inherited my dad's bassboat and his collection of rods, which include everything from fly rods to deep sea rods and reels.  I want to take my kids fishing on the Chattahoochee for stripers and catfish. I do know how to fly fish, mainly looking for rod and reel advice.

What sort of rod and bait setup do I want to do for cats and stripers?  I am ok with having to buy some new stuff, but I hope I can salvage some of my dad's stuff.

Thanks

HaM
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 8:41:04 PM EDT
[#1]
For cats, cut bait on a circle hook, 7/0 is a good size.  Any sort of fish or raw chicken makes good bait.  I've also found that the saltwater Berkeley Gulp swimming mullets are really good for blue cats. If I'm using 7/0 hooks for big cats I have at least 30lb braided line.  You'll wait a fairly heavy duty rod and reel.

Bucktail jigs and swimbaits are good choices for stripers.  Any rods/reels that you'd use for largemouth bass up to catfish will typically suffice for stripers.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 9:21:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Circle or Kahle hooks from 6/0-8/0 depending on bait. I use salted livers, chicken breast, bluegills and dough-bait. Every day is different so always have a bit of everything.

I use the Rippin Lips catfish rods from Medium, M/H all the way to Heavy. Great rods and free shipping on Amazon. I got them paired with some MY60 and 70 baitcaster reels.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top