Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/26/2014 6:28:09 AM EDT
Guided 2 guys last night and got them on a 47" muskie and 44" pike. Anybody have questions, or maybe you have secrets you can share?
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 10:44:01 AM EDT
[#1]
I've gone fishing for musky 5 times this year, I've had a ton of follows on a Strike King 38 special spinner bait in black with a 5" chartreuse grub on a trailer hook.  I've had two bites but one I was paying attention to my pedal on my trolling motor (stupid fucking powerdrive pedal) and as I looked back and pulled my bait to recast it was striking. The other I was drifting past a tree and my line was about to get caught so I was ripping it in and got a little nibble right before I pulled it out of the water again.  What should I do to increase my bite to follow ratio?
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 11:19:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've gone fishing for musky 5 times this year, I've had a ton of follows on a Strike King 38 special spinner bait in black with a 5" chartreuse grub on a trailer hook.  I've had two bites but one I was paying attention to my pedal on my trolling motor (stupid fucking powerdrive pedal) and as I looked back and pulled my bait to recast it was striking. The other I was drifting past a tree and my line was about to get caught so I was ripping it in and got a little nibble right before I pulled it out of the water again.  What should I do to increase my bite to follow ratio?
View Quote

Vary your retrieve speed. Instead of reeling in the same speed the whole retrieve, pause every now and then and let the lure sink, or, while reeling pull the rod to make it speed up.  sudden chnge in lure speed (either direction) will, a lot times, trigger a response strike.

Also, take note of where the follow was, and re-fish it later. Muskies are territorial and rarely leave where they live. There's one in my lake I've caught no less than 5 times. Its ALWAYS in the same spot. Large pike are like this to some degree, but muskies are famous fr it.
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 11:55:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Vary your retrieve speed. Instead of reeling in the same speed the whole retrieve, pause every now and then and let the lure sink, or, while reeling pull the rod to make it speed up.  sudden chnge in lure speed (either direction) will, a lot times, trigger a response strike.

Also, take note of where the follow was, and re-fish it later. Muskies are territorial and rarely leave where they live. There's one in my lake I've caught no less than 5 times. Its ALWAYS in the same spot. Large pike are like this to some degree, but muskies are famous fr it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll try that again I guess, I had a tank about a foot behind my bait so I slowed my retrieve down a bit and he broke off then proceeded to swim right in front of my boat to show me what I was missing (what a cocksucker).
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 12:02:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Also, don't forget to figure 8 at the boat. A lot of times I don't even know they're there.
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 12:06:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, I just learned about the figure 8, saw a great video on youtube.  Skip to about 2:30.

Link Posted: 7/16/2014 10:50:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Going to Ontario tomorrow. Will report bcd with 40+ goodness.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 11:24:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Nasty slimy pike.  I prefer bass, but I would love to catch a Muskie. Sadly I don't have all the crazy trolling gear.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 1:51:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Good trolling speed for muskie?      Any luck with those big mepps sinners?  ( muskie killer or something like that )
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 3:37:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Good trolling speed for muskie?      Any luck with those big mepps sinners?  ( muskie killer or something like that )
View Quote

Mepps are my go to lure. Favorite color is black. When trolling, I go SLOW. 2.5mph tops. When casting, sloooooow retrieve in Spring, Burn it in the Fall. Also, Make sure to stop your lure or speed it up now and then during retrieves. These fish are notorious for "just following it." Suddeny hanging the speed will sometimes trigger a predator response.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 7:33:58 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Mepps are my go to lure. Favorite color is black. When trolling, I go SLOW. 2.5mph tops. When casting, sloooooow retrieve in Spring, Burn it in the Fall. Also, Make sure to stop your lure or speed it up now and then during retrieves. These fish are notorious for "just following it." Suddeny hanging the speed will sometimes trigger a predator response.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Awesome..   Will give it a try,   hopefully getting my downrigger mounted this weekend.  

Link Posted: 12/13/2014 8:54:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Any tips for hardwater fishing???
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 10:51:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Hot dogs. I'm not kidding either. Buy an all beef frank or one of the higher end dogs, put a hook through one end (don't hook it in the middle) and tie a weight about 1 foot above the hook. Dump through your hole and let it lay on the bottom. Pike and muskie LOVE it. Everyone thinks I am insane when I tell them this trick, but go try it, you will be amazed.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:04:09 PM EDT
[#13]
what's the best "cut-down" you can give a fisherman?

"you couldn't catch your ASS with your OWN two hands?"
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:05:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

you on the Can-Am forum? :)
Link Posted: 1/27/2015 8:12:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Hot dogs. I'm not kidding either. Buy an all beef frank or one of the higher end dogs, put a hook through one end (don't hook it in the middle) and tie a weight about 1 foot above the hook. Dump through your hole and let it lay on the bottom. Pike and muskie LOVE it. Everyone thinks I am insane when I tell them this trick, but go try it, you will be amazed.
View Quote

Tried the hot dog through the ice and caught two nice pike and lost two other ones all in about 35 minutes fishing 1 hole.
Link Posted: 1/31/2015 9:35:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Tried the hot dog through the ice and caught two nice pike and lost two other ones all in about 35 minutes fishing 1 hole.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds about right. They loves them some hot dogs. I once had a tip up with a dog on it, and we couldn't even keep it down 5 minutes, it was a pike swarm.
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 11:08:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Sounds about right. They loves them some hot dogs. I once had a tip up with a dog on it, and we couldn't even keep it down 5 minutes, it was a pike swarm.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds like hot dogs through the ice work better than live pike minnows.
Does this trick work year round?

Any tips for wading and/or casting the edges of a deep fast cold rivers?
Link Posted: 2/8/2015 11:24:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Yeah, I just learned about the figure 8, saw a great video on youtube.  Skip to about 2:30.

http://youtu.be/pUpbYaC3ZbM
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/10/2015 2:04:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I expect it would work in the summer, but I've never tried it. They're too aggressive in the normal part of the year, and I don't want a big hook down in their stomachs. I C & R everything. Not much of a river guy, so I have no tricks in that department.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 8:46:00 PM EDT
[#20]
You ever try Mepps spinners for pike?
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 11:02:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
You ever try Mepps spinners for pike?
View Quote

Yep, awesome bait. Black is the best color. Regular Muskie Mepps runs around $15. Walmart has some no name band that are $3. Name brand will hold up better overall, but $3 is hard to beat.
Link Posted: 2/19/2015 1:26:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Have you ran your Hot dogs side by side with smelt?

When running smelt on tip-ups we use 10/10 Swedish hooks. They hook good and are easy to remove...
Thanks for that tip.. Smelt are getting hard to find now, so I think I my try slipping the pike a wiener or two..

What hooks have been working for you..

Link Posted: 2/21/2015 12:31:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

When running smelt on tip-ups we use 10/10 Swedish hooks. They hook good and are easy to remove...
Thanks for that tip.. Smelt are getting hard to find now, so I think I my try slipping the pike a wiener or two..

http://www.mustad.no/products/classic/classic/clas_img/96dpi/7724_96.gif

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.mustad.no/products/classic/classic/clas_img/96dpi/7724_96.gif

I used to use Swedish hooks like that, but lately I've been using Team Catfish Circle Hooks. Not that they work any better, it's just that I have a bunch of them from catfishing with my son. Work about then same as the ones you're running. Yeah, I hear you on he smelt. they've really ried up the last 3 years or so. Last year I was only able to get 3 packages from my guy in Ashland, years past you could get garbage cans full. Not sure what's on with the population in Superior, but it's way down. Let me know how your dogs go...

Link Posted: 2/23/2015 1:52:12 AM EDT
[#24]
I was going to go out today with my daughter... But with the weather being as cold as it was, I passed on the fishing.
Link Posted: 2/28/2015 2:24:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Tried Viena Sausage chunks on a hook last weekend.
Jigging with minnows did better for the undersized pike we caught.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 6:04:46 PM EDT
[#26]
I've always meant to try those, but never have. Another thing that works good is chunks of canned ham.
Link Posted: 3/4/2015 2:55:01 AM EDT
[#27]
Nice. I'm a lover of toothy fish too.

Never fished with a hot dog though. Lol. I'll give it a go next winter in Ontario where fish and/or fish products are not allowed as bait.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 2:44:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Ever fish Lake St Clair? If not you should try it!

Thanks for the hot dog idea, definitely going to try that.

I've got a few original Loke's in perch color they have been lights out around here.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 5:21:42 PM EDT
[#29]
I caught a chain pickerel back in Feb. while fishing for white bass.  Does that count?
I'd never caught one before that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top