Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/4/2014 7:31:48 PM EDT
I am not a fisherman, but trot lines intrigue me.  I've managed to catch one feisty catfish on a trot line, and as soon as we unhooked him, he flipped himself right out of the canoe.  What do I need to know about trotlines & N Texas lakes?
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 11:57:28 PM EDT
[#1]

looks legal there:

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/regulations/outdoor-annual/fishing/general-rules-regulations/legal-devices-for-fish

Trotline

A non-metallic main fishing line with more than five hooks attached and with each end attached to a fixture.
•Nongame fish, channel catfish, blue catfish and flathead catfish may be taken by trotline.
•Red drum, spotted seatrout and sharks caught on a trotline may not be retained or possessed.

General Construction and Design Restrictions

Trotlines may not be used with:
•a mainline length exceeding 600 feet;
•hooks spaced less than 3 horizontal feet apart;
•metallic stakes;
•or the main fishing line and attached hooks and stagings placed above the water's surface.

Trotlines in Fresh Water

Tag Requirements

Trotlines in fresh water must be used with a valid gear tag. Properly marked buoys or floats qualify as valid gear tags. Gear tags must be attached within 3 feet of the first hook at each end of the trotline and are valid for 10 days after the date set out.

Construction and Design Restrictions

Trotlines in fresh water may not have more than 50 hooks on any one trotline.

Placement and Location Restrictions

Trotlines in fresh water may not be used in:
•Community Fishing Lakes
•Reservoirs or sections of rivers lying totally within the boundaries of a state park
•Bellwood Lake in Smith County
•Boerne City Lake in Kendall County
•Canyon Lake Project #6 in Lubbock County
•Dixieland Reservoir in Cameron County
•Fayette County Reservoir in Fayette County
•Gibbons Creek Reservoir in Grimes County
•Lake Bastrop in Bastrop County
•Lake Bryan in Brazos County
•Lakes Coffee Mill and Davy Crockett in Fannin County
•Lake Naconiche in Nacogdoches County
•Lake Pflugerville in Travis County
•North Concho River from O.C. Fisher dam to the Bell Street dam
•Pinkston Reservoir in Shelby County
•South Concho River from Lone Wolf dam to Bell Street dam
•Tankersley Reservoir in Titus County
•Wheeler Branch Reservoir in Somervell County

Link Posted: 6/15/2014 12:20:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Trotlines are fun, but juglines are funner! Start saving your soda bottles OP.
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 3:18:37 AM EDT
[#3]
If I can fit one of those plastic pond bass boats sideways in the van, I figger I'll get one of those; if not, I'll get one of those fishing kayaks.  Get a $100 WalMart trolling motor to start, & run it off a Harbor Freight genny through a 12V inverter, perhaps a computer power supply.  Already checked w/ TXPW on running a generator on the boat - legally I'm good.  Have to register the boat for power, however.  Cruise out to a trotline, check it, then cruise back in, load the boat back in the van, get home, & unload it again.
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 6:22:41 AM EDT
[#4]
I'd be careful.  You get caught with a dead game fish on a trot line you might have a problem.

Personally, I would only use one if I was subsistence fishing.

Link Posted: 6/15/2014 1:20:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Thought you put catfish bait on trotlines?  If you catch a game fish on one, you release it.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/regulations/outdoor-annual/fishing/general-rules-regulations/legal-devices-for-fish  You can't set 'em out for more than 10 days w/o checking 'em & replacing the gear tag.
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 1:39:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thought you put catfish bait on trotlines?  If you catch a game fish on one, you release it.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/regulations/outdoor-annual/fishing/general-rules-regulations/legal-devices-for-fish  You can't set 'em out for more than 10 days w/o checking 'em & replacing the gear tag.
View Quote

You are correct.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 3:25:00 PM EDT
[#7]
I've fished on trotlines for 40 years. Not exclusively, but I've used them for that long. I generally fish for catfish, any species, but I love to target flathead with live bait.  I usually use goldfish or crawfish.  I've caught channel and blue catfish on worms, crawfish, cheese, cut shad, hot dogs, and gold fish.  I've also caught Gar, Drum, paddle fish, eels, buffalo and lots of catfish. I've never once caught a bass, crappie, bream, or striper.  I wouldn't worry about catching gamefish.  My experience is it doesn't happen.

I put out my lines late in the afternoon and check them in the morning. When left out during the day I generally catch some non-targeted fish like Gar and Drum.  Not that they're bad, just not what I'm after.  Both Gar and Drum are good to eat, just takes a bit more work to clean.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 3:31:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 3:54:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hot dogs soaked overnight in Baitmate.
View Quote

That might not work well.  I get hungry when I'm fishing, and if there are hot dogs, well....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top