Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/31/2014 11:21:39 AM EDT
I just put in my dock in front of my house yesterday and saw some big bluegills schooling and bass patrolling the shallows.  Last year there were hundreds of bluegill beds in front of my house and fishermen in boats have been telling me it's the best place to fish on the lake.  I think I'll eat some this year.

Last year I just sat on my dock and would cast with worms and a bobber to catch and release the bluegills.  This year there was a big die off of the small ones and my shoreline was covered with dead bluegills but the large ones seem to be in abundance.  Deepest part of the lake is 12 feet, area in front of my house is probably 4 to 5 feet where the bluegill beds are.

What are some baits that work for you with bluegills other than worms/night crawlers?
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 3:33:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Spent 5 days in Lewiston last week. Smallies, largemouth, pike, rock bass. Good times

My buddy killed them this week up there. He was actually passing up fish because he would see bigger ones swimming by...

They are on the beds here in the suburbs of IL as well.
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 4:35:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I spent alot of time as a kid fishing bluegills on the beds in southern Michigan. My old dad would use a fly rod and hammer them. Bluegill fillets are the best eating fish around IMHO.
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 7:16:54 PM EDT
[#3]
You must eat some of them. They are the best eating fish and releasing them after catch only hurts the population through stunting.
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 10:00:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

What are some baits that work for you with bluegills other than worms/night crawlers?
View Quote

Crickets, small spinnerbaits, little jigs.
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 10:50:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I spent alot of time as a kid fishing bluegills on the beds in southern Michigan. My old dad would use a fly rod and hammer them. Bluegill fillets are the best eating fish around IMHO.
View Quote

I was going to try a fly rod but I couldn't find it.  I bought some grub looking larvae and some worms called dillies today (not small worms, not Canadian crawlers).  Have to get out in the morning before it gets hot (86 today), mosquitoes will eat you alive just before sunset, worst year I've ever seen mosquitoes on this lake.  
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 11:18:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Big bluegills caught on ultralight tackle, using panfish size beetle spins. Brings back so many memories of farm pond fishing in my youth.
Link Posted: 5/31/2014 11:41:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Crickets are what I always used as a kid.
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 12:01:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Big bluegills caught on ultralight tackle, using panfish size beetle spins. Brings back so many memories of farm pond fishing in my youth.
View Quote

This ... My son and I tore them up on 1/16 oz beetle spin type lures the other day.

Roadrunners are another good choice.

Link Posted: 6/4/2014 9:11:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Fished for a couple hours this afternoon in front of my house.  Was real windy the entire time.  Sunfish, bluegills and two bass all on night crawlers and some grub things I got at the gas station.  Kept two sunfish, one was huge and 3 bluegills.  Tossed everything else back.  I hate cleaning fish.  Got a package of a couple pounds of fish in the freezer.

Going to have to go out early in the morning when it is calm.  Lost a couple bass.
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 3:02:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Worms are good.  Small tube baits in bright color, white, yellow, beetle spin lures, poppers, small jigs and rooster tails.
Link Posted: 6/5/2014 10:51:46 PM EDT
[#11]
I went out about a week ago to my local spot and KILLED them!  Literally, caught about 50 all around this size.  They were attacking ANYTHING you threw at them.  My favorite for these is an ultralight set up with a 1/32nd ounce jig head and a curly tail grub.  Not an easy set up to cast but these fish hit it as soon as it hits the water.

I took home 18 and fried them up.  DELICIOUS!  (Too bad they aren't biting like they were a week ago.  Today kind of sucked!)

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top