Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/26/2014 9:17:50 AM EDT
Last night I saw this piece on "Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives" about a place in Nebraska called Joe Tess' Fish Place. The house specialty is locally-caught carp which is sliced thin and battered (like a Blooming Onion) to allow the hot fat to dissolve the pin bones.

I'd read years ago that the proper cooking method for carp is to gently poach it. The article went on to say "fry it, and it tasted like an old tire".

So maybe carp is edible.

Anyone?

http://joetessplace.com/
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 1:44:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Did some googling and it appears that carp is quite edible. The reluctance on the part of the American public is the reputation of the fish as a "trash species" and the "Y" bones.

Carp is a food source in many other countries.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 1:47:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 2:23:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Enough batter spices and grease, anything is good.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 5:03:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Feinstein's twat. GO!
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 5:18:47 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Feinstein's twat. GO!

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Feinstein's twat. GO!

I just lost my lunch.  
From the last 10 years.

Link Posted: 4/26/2014 5:34:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Feinstein's twat. GO!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Feinstein's twat. GO!

People like you are why we should ban the internet.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 6:06:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Google "fried carp" all you want.  The taste is not worth the effort.  'Possum is on that same list.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 6:28:30 PM EDT
[#8]
When you clean them avoid the "mud vein",put chunks or fillets in a blender long enough to grind all the tiny bones,and make fish cakes it's actually pretty good.Add seasoning,some chopped celery,peppers,onion etc.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 7:15:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

you can deep fry a dog turd and someone will eat it and not complain..
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 7:17:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Kinda like popeye mullet....I always used it as a baitfish but some people eat it.  Maybe it's good....I dunno.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 1:23:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Feinstein's twat. GO!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Feinstein's twat. GO!

Link Posted: 4/27/2014 6:22:06 PM EDT
[#12]
I've never had carp but have heard it is good.  Have eaten Buffalo (the fish) and it it quite delicious.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 6:29:17 AM EDT
[#13]
I always heard it was in how you cleaned them...I just never wanted to try it
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 8:00:40 AM EDT
[#14]
I have been waiting on Carp to become the new fad.  Tilapia is not the same but to me they are also a trash fish.  Look how popular they have become.  Once some chef figures out a way to make it taste good or people get hungry enough carp will be a regular item on the menu.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 9:18:32 AM EDT
[#15]
I think it generally has to do with the waters the fish was living in. Carp is traditionally a fish that survives in muddy, silty water. Those can taste like crap. If you catch one in a steadily flowing stream with relativity clean water, those fish taste much better.
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 6:42:18 PM EDT
[#16]
I've tried and just didn't taste good. I use to fish with some old black guys that loved them though. Would take home every one we caught.
Link Posted: 5/8/2014 3:13:38 PM EDT
[#17]
They are pretty good canned and used like salmon to make fish patties.

They are also good smoked.
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 10:35:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Fried canned smoked or pickled its all good
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 10:47:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/14/2014 11:51:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Feinstein's twat. GO!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Feinstein's twat. GO!

I might need an extra gallon or two of ketchup on top, but MonkeyGrip's point is still valid.

Link Posted: 5/19/2014 5:53:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I think it generally has to do with the waters the fish was living in. Carp is traditionally a fish that survives in muddy, silty water. Those can taste like crap. If you catch one in a steadily flowing stream with relativity clean water, those fish taste much better.
View Quote

+1

My parents are from Hungary and carp is commonly eaten there.  They prepare it many ways, but the best is probably Fisherman's Soup or known in Hungarian as halászlé.  It's originally a Hungarian dish but is eaten throughout Eastern Europe.  It's delicious with carp raised in clean water, and even better when they're fed a good diet.

There is no good carp to be had here in the U.S., but the soup/stew can also be made with catfish, and in some regions of Hungary that's what it is made with only.

I've caught large carp in Canada where I grew up and the carp is so oily and fishy in taste that it is essentially inedible.  Yes, you can eat it, but it's not something pleasant.
Link Posted: 5/25/2014 10:28:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Best way to cook carp.

Fillet it off the big bones, like the ribs and spine.  Turn the skin down and slice to the skin about every 1/4 inch from top to bottom.  We call that scoring in our area.  Then deep fry it in hot vegetable oil with some type of cajun breading.  Its not the best fish but you can get a lot of meat off of a couple big fish.  If they are in a dirty river you have to cut the mud strip out of the meat, but that isn't hard to do.  Drum fish is the same way, same prep.  If you want some of the fishiness out of the meat soak it in salt water for 24 hours.

Link Posted: 5/31/2014 3:30:28 PM EDT
[#23]
There were places in Nebraska on the Missouri River when I lived in Yankton, South Dakota that served carp.  I tried some smoked carp once but threw most of it away.  Person I worked with had a father-in-law who raised carp in ponds and made bologna out of it.
Link Posted: 7/4/2014 9:54:19 PM EDT
[#24]

you can deep fry a dog turd and someone will eat it and not complain..
View Quote

Remind me not to eat at your house.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 12:21:36 PM EDT
[#25]
I've tried it every way. It sucks.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 12:29:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Only way i found Carp to be tasty is too shoot them, chop them up, bury in garden, eat delicious garden food
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 3:06:58 PM EDT
[#27]
There used to be a Carp Festival at the Coon Rapids damn in MN every year when I was a kid.  They had it prepared every way you could think of.  I was surprised it was any good but it was from the few varieties I tried.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 3:20:37 PM EDT
[#28]
carp, to eat?  no thanks, I'll pass
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:33:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
They are pretty good canned and used like salmon to make fish patties.

They are also good smoked.
View Quote

Best looking fish canned I looked at was bowfin grinnel, looked like clean salmon, pretty and pink, eat good too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top