Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/23/2013 4:25:04 AM EDT
Anybody here familiar with trout fishing Holston lake?

I know that Tennessee stocks the lake with Lake Trout.  I have never caught one of those but I know that they get huge.

I am a stream fisherman and would likely need a guide.
Link Posted: 2/6/2014 5:59:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Jst started fishing holston last year for the lakers. And for a new-b at downrigging out of prob 15 trips only got skunked twice.
Link Posted: 2/7/2014 12:37:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Jst started fishing holston last year for the lakers. And for a new-b at downrigging out of prob 15 trips only got skunked twice.
View Quote

What's the biggest you've landed?

Pics?

Can they be fished for from the bank?

Do you do guided trips?

Do tell, do tell....
Link Posted: 2/7/2014 7:02:16 AM EDT
[#3]
If you are looking for the huge 30 to 60 pound lakers you see on TV caught from lakes in Canada, Great Lakes etc. You will not find them in South Holston lake, climate much to warm here to grow trout of that size at least the lakers anyways.

Yes they can be caught from the bank but only early in the year Feb, March timeframe when they are up in the shallows spawning

I have never fished for them that early and prob never will, as my true love is the stripers in other local lakes close to SOHO. and I am fixin to start fishing for them in a few weeks.

stripes pretty much consume Feb thru April for me, once a person gets use to catching 30 to 40 pound stripers its hard for any other fish to matter

The lakers I started fishing for Lst year were jst something different to try after the big stripes get hard to catch.

Most lakers in Holston are 5 to 7 pound range with fish being caught in the teens, still a good trout by any means

Big live bait I have heard is the way to get the big lakers out of SOHO but I have never tried bait on them, 2 downriggers and small spoons is the only tactic I have used for them but like I said jst about every trip we went on everybody caught their 2 fish limit.

here is a pic of a 7.5# laker we caught in may of lst year their were several more that day in that weight class.  As for guiding I can not charge for taking someone out as I do not have a guide license but one can help with gas on the trip, jst  PM me here if your down this way be glad to take ya

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top