Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/13/2013 9:34:17 AM EDT
Anyone have recent experience pursuing peacock bass in the Amazon? I am contemplating a trip with a respectable outfitter this Sept.
Link Posted: 11/13/2013 5:20:13 PM EDT
[#1]
You can pursue peacock bass in Florida for cheaper. Why don't you pursue something else in the Amazon. You are going to catch a ton of piranha. Go for some monster cats, a sting ray or aripahma...
Link Posted: 11/13/2013 11:32:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You can pursue peacock bass in Florida for cheaper. Why don't you pursue something else in the Amazon. You are going to catch a ton of piranha. Go for some monster cats, a sting ray or aripahma...
View Quote

While I agree with you on most of this post, I don't think he will catch Peacock in Fla anywhere near the size they get to in the Amazon.
To the OP, I would seriously try messaging Jimmy Houston, Roland Martin, and a few others on FB that have done TV shows down there and find out who they used.  Some of their shows had some true monster peacocks.
Link Posted: 11/14/2013 3:53:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Thx - I am currently set up with ronspeedadventures.com . Used them in the past to mexico and they are first rate. Just curious about other's experiences. And yes, the peacocks in s fla are minnows compared to this adventure.
Link Posted: 11/14/2013 4:19:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a relative In Fla that is a guide.  Thadeus Ragan.  Look him up if you ever need some local help.  Gladesbassin
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 2:04:55 PM EDT
[#5]
thx - will keep him in mind. got to hit the Big O soon.
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 7:56:00 AM EDT
[#6]
I may be in the ball park if not exactly what you requested. I was stationed in Panama for three years and caught tons of peacock bass in Lake Gatun. Mostly using live bait and some lures (mostly crank baits). Peacock are much more aggressive than our largemouth variety and they are easy to catch (at least in Gatun). I sometimes used a minnow spreader and often caught double headers from a boat. I didn't find peacock fishing especially challenging. I mean the bigger the bait, the bigger the fish and they hit almost anything. I don't think I'd spend money to fish for them.

I would spend money to fish once more on the Hannibal Bank off Panama. Mahi, tuna, marlin, wahoo...awesome.

But go where you want. I don't know everything.

apologies for hitting a dead thread. need more cofferr
Link Posted: 5/21/2014 7:41:11 PM EDT
[#7]

Watch some episodes of River Monsters that were taped down there. It should give you some ideas.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top