Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/7/2013 8:03:04 AM EDT

As soon as I snapped the pic, he flipped out of the yak on the starboard side and my road (with the anti reverse off) flipped off the port so this was the only pic I could get.  I re-boated him by pulling him in by hand and it took about an hour to pull my rod out of the river.

Link Posted: 9/9/2013 11:40:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Awesome pics and nice catch. I've always wanted to fish from a Yak. I'm not a strong swimmer so I've always been hesitant. I bet you get to fish a lot of places the rest of us can't reach.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 12:36:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Nice.  Where is that?  I'm always looking for new places to take my yak.
Link Posted: 9/10/2013 8:20:19 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Nice.  Where is that?  I'm always looking for new places to take my yak.
View Quote
The New River

Link Posted: 9/10/2013 8:23:20 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Awesome pics and nice catch. I've always wanted to fish from a Yak. I'm not a strong swimmer so I've always been hesitant. I bet you get to fish a lot of places the rest of us can't reach.
View Quote
I actually prefer fishing from a bellyboat/fishing tube but the combination of rapids on this stretch, and my desire to catch musky make that unwise.  It is much better than a canoe.  When I bust through the rapids and into the hole I can quickly steer the yak into the eddy  so I can at least get some casts into the productive water (which is how I caught this one).

I don't think I would ever fish from a canoe again.  The yak is much more stable and runs rapids much more cleaner.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 12:31:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice Musky.

I caught a 24" Musky right above the ramp at Eggelston last Thursday and a friend of mine caught one in the same area as yours that was close to 38".
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 1:06:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Great looking fish!  I lived in Radford for a few years (but not as a student) and I always heard guys telling stories about musky but I never saw one.
The smallmouth were plenty of fun for me - I think I'd have shit my shorts if I saw one of those on the end of my line.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 10:15:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Beautiful fish!   Congrats!  

Link Posted: 9/20/2013 10:29:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Is that at the Sportsman?? I caught a 43" 21 lb Muskie down (technically up) at Whitethorn.
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 10:30:48 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Is that at the Sportsman?? I caught a 43" 21 lb Muskie down (technically up) at Whitethorn.
View Quote
This was about halfway between Eggleston and Pembroke.

Link Posted: 9/20/2013 10:37:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I haven't fished there. I hear it's pretty good. I have a yak but don't fish out of it enough. May have to head that way sometime and try it out. I love having the New around here because the fishing is beyond great. Sure as he'll beats fishing our lakes.
Link Posted: 9/20/2013 10:40:28 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I haven't fished there. I hear it's pretty good. I have a yak but don't fish out of it enough. May have to head that way sometime and try it out. I love having the New around here because the fishing is beyond great. Sure as he'll beats fishing our lakes.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have a hard time finding fish along this stretch.  Lots of deep water and cover, and as little fishing as I do (about 3x a year) it's hard to figure out where they are hiding or what they are biting on.  However, it seems that I have more luck at least finding the muskies and catfish.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top