Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/12/2013 11:30:29 AM EDT
The gar thread got me to thinking how some of you all prepare gar.

I've never eaten gar, but wouldn't mind trying some.

Any tips/recipes?
Link Posted: 8/12/2013 3:31:29 PM EDT
[#1]
bake on cedar board

eat board
Link Posted: 8/12/2013 3:47:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Google up gar balls. I have never tried them but many say they are good. You will need tin snips to cut through the skin.
Link Posted: 8/12/2013 4:41:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Got the tin snips covered!

An old man told me that once I got the meat out, to boil it in crab boil and eat however I saw fit. He also told me it tasted a bit like lobster, so I'm not sure.
Link Posted: 8/12/2013 4:44:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
He also told me it tasted a bit like lobster, so I'm not sure.
View Quote

Muddy, gamey, fishy lobster...
Link Posted: 8/12/2013 4:50:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Here try this. I don't know how to make hot link.

http://louisianacajun.com/recipe.asp?id=65
Link Posted: 8/13/2013 2:08:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Can we add tips on how to catch gar to this thread?  Need to catch them to cook them.

I have two places near me that are teeming with gar.  They're everywhere, rolling on the surface right next to my kayak and laughing.  It's slightly brackish water.  Tried shrimp and squid, crank baits, buzz baits, etc.
Link Posted: 8/13/2013 2:27:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Can we add tips on how to catch gar to this thread?  Need to catch them to cook them.

I have two places near me that are teeming with gar.  They're everywhere, rolling on the surface right next to my kayak and laughing.  It's slightly brackish water.  Tried shrimp and squid, crank baits, buzz baits, etc.
View Quote

Anything with a treble hook works.

I have a spinner with just a treble on that works phenomenal. I'll post a pic in a bit.
Link Posted: 8/13/2013 2:27:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Experience?
Link Posted: 8/13/2013 2:42:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some fish are good for eating, and others not....

Gar are having a tough time in Texas (with drought and changes in the rivers due to development),.

My son and I went fishing a while back this summer and we released all we caught.  

Bass, Catfish, BlueGill, and Crayfish are good eating.  But trying to make Gar taste like anything other than a trash fish is like trying to turn 3 day old road kill possum to fillet minon....

Have Fun Catching them, but cut them loose and for a meal focus on a better starting platform for better (tastier) results...
Link Posted: 8/20/2013 9:01:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I have a spinner with just a treble on that works phenomenal. I'll post a pic in a bit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like an inline spinner?
Link Posted: 8/30/2013 3:47:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Like an inline spinner?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like an inline spinner?

On MS Outdoors on TV, for bait they only had a short piece of small rope all unraveled and fluffed up to look like a minnow, the gar hit and tangled their teeth in it and trapped them selves. This will keep them from cutting mono with their teeth. BE CAREFUL THESE TEETH ARE LIKE RAZORS
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 8:58:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Caught a gar with a cast net in Louisiana.  Guy that ran a bar took it, cleaned it, then cooked it in a pressure cooker.
Drained water and made fried gar balls with the meat.  Was excellent.
Link Posted: 9/3/2013 9:24:56 PM EDT
[#13]
panfried butter/salt

poor man's lobster I called it after the first bite.  deeee-licious
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 3:06:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Never had Gar.. But I've had Mudfish (Bowfin)!
Link Posted: 10/29/2013 3:21:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Cut hockey pucks of the gutted fish with electric knife.
Fry in bacon grease until golden brown.
Skin will fall off like a retread.

Eat it like crab. Pull the fish apart to avoid the bones.
Serve w Pepper, and lime sour cream.
Link Posted: 11/2/2013 11:34:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Caught this one about a week ago. About four feet long and a very fun fight!  Do not want unless I am starving to death.  Too many good eating fish swimming around out there.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 11:15:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Shooting them with a bow is easier that trying to catch them IMO
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:05:55 PM EDT
[#18]
There aren't really any bones in them.  If you cut along the spinal cord you can get two backstraps perfect for cutting into chunks.  

Here is the easiest way to clean them, with pictures.

Link Posted: 5/25/2014 10:36:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Easiest way to catch them? Bow and arrow.  

Shot both of them a week ago.

Best way to cook them? Still searching.  I've used olive oil like I might do Tuna or Salmon, eh.  I've done a crab boil and dipped in melted butter and it was pretty good.  Then I fried some of those two and it wasn't bad.  I need to cut the chunks smaller to get a more thorough cook.

I think friend they work pretty good with a proper bedding.
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 3:43:35 AM EDT
[#20]
I had guy at a local fishing hole tell me that gar balls are pretty tasty, but I've never tried it. He said how he makes them is to cook the meat first so you can clump the meat into a ball (like the recipe above), and them dip the balls in a batter made with corn meal, mustard, beer, and fry until they are golden brown. He said that you need to eat them hot and they don't taste very good cold or reheated.

Same guy said to use anything white and fluffy to catch them.
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 2:23:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Yuck. My wife caught this guy yesterday. We already had the livewells full with over 30 sandbass, why bother with this ugly dinosaur?

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 11:28:29 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

bake on cedar board

View Quote

eat board

This right here.  :)
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 1:17:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Eat them!!! Never. I'm just glad if I get my crankbait back. Nasty creatures. The roe is a poison that is fatal and almost impossible to detect.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 4:32:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Grandpa's recipe- cover gar with cowshit, bake in coals 10 minutes, remove, throw away gar, eat cow shit.
Link Posted: 3/5/2015 11:02:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Eat them!!! Never. I'm just glad if I get my crankbait back. Nasty creatures. The roe is a poison that is fatal and almost impossible to detect.
View Quote

What I've heard also. And the easiest way to catch a gar? Be fishing for bream.
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 3:14:03 PM EDT
[#26]
I caught a pretty large one (roughly 4') on a trot line during our last catfish tournament. That was a fighting bastard. Broke my paddle on his head trying to get him to stop fight so I could get the hook out of him. He got turned into bait.
Link Posted: 7/13/2015 9:30:20 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

On TV they were using FRAYED cotton or some type yarn. No hook, the yarn got tangled in their teeth. The yarn looks similar to spinner bait skirt.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 8:46:18 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
On TV they were using FRAYED cotton or some type yarn. No hook, the yarn got tangled in their teeth. The yarn looks similar to spinner bait skirt.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

shot guns and 1911's work well when they are floating around just below the surface, or so I hear...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top